Greg Miller?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Kraftd
500 Club

Re: Greg Miller?

Unread postby Kraftd » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:07 am

Lots of respect for Greg, and love his books. Even taken as simple entertainment, I find his shows to be a little bland. Lots of ground blind hunting over ag out west. He is really good at it, but the shows aren't terribly entertaining or all that insightful to the kind of hunting I do. Very different from his books in my experience. That said, nothing but respect for the guy, even on his shows he comes across as a genuinely good guy.

stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:15 am

Have and read his books. They are very insightful and you can see how he started out as just an average guy that became very knowledgeable about whitetail deer and mature bucks. In his latest shows he's not hunting in the Large super trophy sized buck ares of the country. All the bucks they shoot are mature animals but aren't even close to Boone & Crockett minimums. I find this refreshing. I think we are all way too hung up on High scoring bucks (near 200"") It's like if you haven't shot one your not a good hunter.

Alot of hunts are in the Dakotas. He may be hunting with an outfitter but the way things have come across to me on his shows. It's more like he met some of these outfitters from not well known areas and has helped them get a handle on how to hunt their properties. He seems very involved with what they are doing. It's just that he isn't doing all the actual boots on the ground scouting.

He's a vet and blue collar type of guy. Bill Jordan didn't just pick anybody to be on his shows. Greg deserved it.
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:55 am

Met and talked with him once at a show. Nice guy, very friendly, and chatted about ice fishing a fair amount.

When I think of hunting tv personalities that may have had a leg up or a silver spoon, etc., when starting out, I don't think of him. I get the impression he is simply reaping the benefits of hard work and hunting experience. The shows, other than the technical "how did the buck die" segments, haven't been the most entertaining. That said, it makes me even more confirmed he's just a good hunter who made it on TV, rather than a TV personality.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:49 am

I watched one of his shows years ago. His hunt was interrupted by a guy not very far away running a saw or making a bunch of noise with a tractor or something like that. I thought that was kind of the stuff most of run in to. I have had many hunts interrupted by other people over the years. I did see him at an outdoor show one time, but didn't stop to talk.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:05 pm

Thanks guys--I am a sucker for good books. I just ordered two of his used, paperback and another one, hardback. $12, no shipping. Thriftbooks (or something like that.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:17 pm

I'm a big fan of hunting shows even though I have a hard time watching all of the "food plot footage". His show In Pursuit is one of the better ones. I believe I watched a bunch of episodes on Roku a while back? :think:

If I remember right it was on the Carbon TV channel but I don't remember for sure. I thought his show was better than most. He did feature a public land hunt, and also a by permission hunt where his son and camera man made homemade ghillie suits and covered themselves in green (soy) beans. They ended up killing a decent buck coming out of a corn field to feed in the beans.

It got my respect as that is a scenario I see all the time... bucks bedding in standing corn then feeding in a green soy bean field.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”