Got a question about stands?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

wolfie729
500 Club

Got a question about stands?

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:01 pm

Ok guys me and my hunting partner got a 80acre lease here in michigan little fields and with a river and some ravines we bought a bunch of steel stands and climbing sticks and hung 5 sets now were both avid lone wolf users would you have done the same or hang and hunt everytime?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Earn what’s never given.
DropTyne
500 Club

Re: Got a question about stands?

Unread postby DropTyne » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:43 pm

wolfie729 wrote:Ok guys me and my hunting partner got a 80acre lease here in michigan little fields and with a river and some ravines we bought a bunch of steel stands and climbing sticks and hung 5 sets now were both avid lone wolf users would you have done the same or hang and hunt everytime?

I like to hang and hunt personally, i would have most likely set up a few permanent stands in quick access spots for hunts when I am short on time, then I would have prepped the other trees/ areas for my lone wolf.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
DROPTYNE

"Obsessed is a Word the Lazy Use to Describe the Dedicated"
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:54 pm

Ok thats what we were wondering because its frustrating almost every steel stand is on the tree cooked due to a leaning tree we're thinking of prepping skme trees and just putting sticks in others that way we just have to hang the stand

Earn what’s never given.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:17 pm

wolfie729 wrote:Ok thats what we were wondering because its frustrating almost every steel stand is on the tree cooked due to a leaning tree we're thinking of prepping skme trees and just putting sticks in others that way we just have to hang the stand

Not sure about everyone else, but I'd hang the stand and pull the sticks. Sticks are usually lighter and you don't have to worry about hanging the stand in the perfect spot every time. I have a hang on like this that I may hunt once in bow season and then save it for gun season when I normally have the wind I need. I just check it every spring.
Zap

Unread postby Zap » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:30 pm

You need to find what works for you, what gets the results that you want.

Anymore, I hunt off the ground unless I have a prepared stand with a lifeline from the ground up.
Had a very bad fall working on a deck last October and that convinced me that I need to keep safety as #1. I am still having issues from the concussion.

Sold all my portable stands/sticks.

:character-oldtimer:

:lol:
"Forged in fire lit long ago. Stand next to me and you will never stand alone".
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:58 pm

Bigb wrote:
wolfie729 wrote:Ok thats what we were wondering because its frustrating almost every steel stand is on the tree cooked due to a leaning tree we're thinking of prepping skme trees and just putting sticks in others that way we just have to hang the stand

Not sure about everyone else, but I'd hang the stand and pull the sticks. Sticks are usually lighter and you don't have to worry about hanging the stand in the perfect spot every time. I have a hang on like this that I may hunt once in bow season and then save it for gun season when I normally have the wind I need. I just check it every spring.

I prefer to pull the sticks too if hunting that way- less chance of the stand being discovered / stolen. I hide the sticks or take them out. The vast majority of the time, however, I hunt portable and take everything in and out every hunt.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:07 pm

Mostly prepped spots, but do have 5 out, two with sticks. Too close to season or i'd take the sticks down since i have a mobile set up now.
I like having a stand at some of these spots, i could mark my tree like a dog but the stand works better 8-)
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:38 pm

If you don't live there, I wouldn't leave anything in the woods in this state. I've had screw in steps removed, thankfully they left them at the tree. I think it was a warning, don't hunt "my spot". Jerks, I have sole permission on that private land!

"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”