Which stand and stick to buy right now?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TNRiverRat

Re: Which stand and stick to buy right now?

Unread postby TNRiverRat » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:42 pm

tcop7 wrote:
TNRiverRat wrote:LW Alpha and 4 sticks are hard to beat… IMO the most versatile setup out there. Add a comfort hunt pad to your alpha and this will be the only stand you will ever need.

Do the Lonewolf climbing sticks still fit on the alpha the same way when the hunt comfort seat is on it?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

No they do not. The Hunt Comfrot pad does not have the indentations that the standard seat does. I bungee my sticks on sideways with a backpack over the sticks. It will take a tight bungee, But I would set my sticks this way even without the Hunt Comfort pad. The weight is more centered to your center of gravity with the sticks sideways. Creating an easier walk to your tree.

dehart89
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chad.dehart.89

Unread postby dehart89 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:54 pm

basically the same. one is made in the USA and the other is made in China.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together" ~ Fred Bear

"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ~ Kirby Puckett
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:38 pm

tcop7 wrote:
TNRiverRat wrote:LW Alpha and 4 sticks are hard to beat… IMO the most versatile setup out there. Add a comfort hunt pad to your alpha and this will be the only stand you will ever need.

No they don't but I lay my sticks on their side and they pack up nicely with bungee cords.
Do the Lonewolf climbing sticks still fit on the alpha the same way when the hunt comfort seat is on it?

cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:05 pm

PalmettoKid wrote:Check out the Muddy sticks, they have double 'steps' so some guys prefer them. They weigh the same as LW sticks(2.5lbs) but are only about 2/3's the length. Some guys use LW sticks with a Muddy on top, the double step is nice up top when hanging, as well as entering/exiting the stand. I get up around 15ft or so with 3 LW sticks, maybe a little under, not sure.

For the stand, I think the LW assault or the smaller XOP would suit your needs well.

This is what I do. 3 LW sticks with a muddy on top. I get 17-18 feet out of it

fauxfly

Unread postby fauxfly » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:51 am

Don't want to tell anyone what to do here...I just got a set of the XOP sticks and the XOP Silver series hang-on. Took the straps off the sticks, camo'ed the sticks, replaced straps with 8mm static line, gave the hang-on platform a little spray cam camo, I honestly defie anyone to tell me the difference in XOP or the LW stuff.

Just my opinion here guys - I would highly recommend the XOP gear to anyone. I have ussed the LW stuff before and really liked it, for what I paid for my set-up, you really have to think about it!!

( I am in no way affiliated with any of these guys either).
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:14 am

fauxfly wrote:Don't want to tell anyone what to do here...I just got a set of the XOP sticks and the XOP Silver series hang-on. Took the straps off the sticks, camo'ed the sticks, replaced straps with 8mm static line, gave the hang-on platform a little spray cam camo, I honestly defie anyone to tell me the difference in XOP or the LW stuff.

Just my opinion here guys - I would highly recommend the XOP gear to anyone. I have ussed the LW stuff before and really liked it, for what I paid for my set-up, you really have to think about it!!

8mm static line? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know how that replaces the straps. Can you please explain?

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:23 am

cdeam wrote:
fauxfly wrote:Don't want to tell anyone what to do here...I just got a set of the XOP sticks and the XOP Silver series hang-on. Took the straps off the sticks, camo'ed the sticks, replaced straps with 8mm static line, gave the hang-on platform a little spray cam camo, I honestly defie anyone to tell me the difference in XOP or the LW stuff.

8mm static line? Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know how that replaces the straps. Can you please explain?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWVRGZIoUO0
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:31 am

Whoa! I think a wolf was stalking you in that video.

Seriously, that is slick. Thanks!

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:40 am

cdeam wrote:Whoa! I think a wolf was stalking you in that video.

Seriously, that is slick. Thanks!

I have no idea who's video that was. I just pulled the first youtube vid that came up for "LW stick rope conversion". From what I've heard flat rope works best for doing the conversion.
Ruger

Unread postby Ruger » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:24 am

I converted mine with 6mm black prussic cord for about .45 a foot for the rope at strapworks.com. 2,800# tensile strength and not much stretch. The flat rope does looks like may work better in terms of wrapping onto stick.

I think I cut two of them about 8' for the first two sticks (assume bigger diameter tree at base, good for an 18-24" tree) and two at 7'.

Much quieter than buckle
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:43 pm

binney59 wrote:Muddy hunter sticks are the same length as the LW sticks but have steps on both sides. I just got some from amazon for $99 and am planning on putting them together tomorrow.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

I forgot they make that model, thanks for the heads up i just grabbed a set!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:58 pm

Lone wolf assault with four stealth stripped sticks...pricey but really quiet, light and I feel very safe using them!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
WiredToHunt

Unread postby WiredToHunt » Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:58 am

I personally like the Lone Wolf Assault stand, combo'd with the Muddy Sticks. Really like the rope/cam design on the Muddy Sticks for a quick/quiet attachment to tree.
Mark Kenyon
Founder of WiredToHunt.com
Host of The Wired To Hunt Podcast
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:16 am

Some chatter on AT about this deal on the sticks and a $10 off coupon http://www.fieldsupply.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=xop
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:40 am

WiredToHunt wrote:I personally like the Lone Wolf Assault stand, combo'd with the Muddy Sticks. Really like the rope/cam design on the Muddy Sticks for a quick/quiet attachment to tree.

As I said earlier I stack a single muddy on three LW's. I dig the dual steps on the muddy, but I must be the only guy who HATES the rope cam system. I'd love the same stick with a versa button and LW strap instead. Guess I'm a weirdo!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”