WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: WHO NEEDS MILKWEED?

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:12 am

dreaming bucks wrote:
62kodiak wrote:Again I am very sorry that I even brought it up. I just didn't want to see somebody get ticketed for possessing a non-native weed if it is not traditionally from their area. I was not questioning the legality or ethics of selling the pods on this site. I think it is great that Dan is helping out those that don't have the time or resources to located their own milkweed.

Nothing wrong with looking out for others Kodiak..... sounds like it's all good though.

Agreed... Your intentions were good and I appreciate the thought.

solocam88
500 Club

Unread postby solocam88 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:17 am

The only thing I would consider is selling a wild plant . I would think you would need a permit or something for that.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:54 am

62kodiak wrote:That was probably a bad choice of words on my part. I wasn't trying to say it was invasive, but I am positive that some government stooge having his strings pulled by an ecofreak would disagree. That is the only reason that I suggested calling your local CO and asking if it was OK. Didn't mean to upset anybody, just better safe then sorry when transporting plants and wildlife. They are real sticklers about that here in MN.

The more we think that way the more fall into the slave trap

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:31 am

solocam88 wrote:The only thing I would consider is selling a wild plant . I would think you would need a permit or something for that.

Think of it as providing a service of gathering, packing and mailing a free wild plant then :-)

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:07 pm

When you receive your milk weed, They should already be split. Look close. I dried them for two days prior to Carol shipping them. They could use more drying. The best method I have found is to set them on my dash of my truck but keep and eye on them. Put them in the brown bag once they start to open.
Muy Grande
Location: Alabama; chase whitetails in Tennessee and Kentucky

Unread postby Muy Grande » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:43 pm

Got mine. Thanks, Dan!
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:24 am

For those of us who want to plant from seeds, what is the best way to do this. I might add a few by my shed in between the flowers my wife has planted.

Also, I was thinking putting some seed out where I hunt. I can combine milkweed gathering and scouting in one trip.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
BryanB

Unread postby BryanB » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:33 am

Milkweed must grow well here in WI....I have seen it all over the place and have a bunch in my backyard. Never thought to use it for wind check. Gotta love the Hunting Beast!
BryanB

Unread postby BryanB » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:34 am

Milkweed must grow well here in WI....I have seen it all over the place and have a bunch in my backyard. Never thought to use it for wind check. Gotta love the Hunting Beast!
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:37 am

sojourner wrote:For those of us who want to plant from seeds, what is the best way to do this. I might add a few by my shed in between the flowers my wife has planted.

Also, I was thinking putting some seed out where I hunt. I can combine milkweed gathering and scouting in one trip.

I accidentally left about 10 pods sit in the back of my truck to dry out and then got too lazy to take them out of there. For about 3 days straight I had a constant trail of milkweed seeds blowing out of the back of my truck. People probably thought it was snowing out lol.

Will be interesting to see if there will be milkweed growing all over the place between my house and work next summer.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:45 am

if you still have any i would be very appreciative to have some
sojourner

Unread postby sojourner » Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:34 pm

Good stuff. Monarch butterfly is known as the milk weed butterfly. The Monarch caterpillars only eat milkweed. I read to plant seeds after first good frost. I will be planting seeds real soon. Some on hunting property and some around my shed in the backyard.

I want to set up a sustainable source of milkweed wind checkers and if the monarch butterflies benefit, that's great too!

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:21 pm

TN Whitetail Freak wrote:if you still have any i would be very appreciative to have some

This is Dans post so he is first, if doesn't have any let me know but Dan first please

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”