Hang-on stands and the fear of heights. Can they co-exist?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TJS
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/travis.sweet.5

Hang-on stands and the fear of heights. Can they co-exist?

Unread postby TJS » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:24 am

I'm looking for advice and/or tips as to how to deal with the fear of heights. I for the most part I am not afraid of heights, I'm trying to help a couple friends of mine be more mobile in the woods instead of hunting the same trees year after year. They use ladder stands and sweat at the idea of using hang-on or even climber stands. I'm not gonna drag them up a tree if they won't move when there up there. A safety harness doesn't make them feel any better. I have a feeling they will just have to buy more ladder stands. Just trying to get some ideas and suggestions for helping them. Thanks and good luck this fall.

When that big buck walks towards you this fall, concentrate on your breathing and get your eyes off his antlers.

TJS
Bigb
500 Club

Re: Hang-on stands and the fear of heights. Can they co-exis

Unread postby Bigb » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:28 am

How about a lifeline and a large platform stand? Sportsman's Guide has some that are 36"x30". I think with a larger platform and the security of always being tied in they might feel a bit more secure, plus they can shuffle their feet on the platform without worrying as much.

I think it is going to be tough though. Heights are a tricky thing for some people. You might have to start them low at 10 feet and slowly more them up.

Personally, I love being high in a tree. As long as I know my stand is secure and I'm safe, I thinks it one of the most free feelings in the world.
gatorbait42

Unread postby gatorbait42 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:44 am

Start close to the ground until they get used to being off the ground. Gradually work up to different heights. There is no rule that says you must hunt high out of a tree stand.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:52 am

I don't like heights. It's not a fear, just a strong dislike accompanied by an over cautious approach! When I first started hunting it was out of a 15' ladder. I was always slow and careful getting up and down.
When I started hunting public I got a climber. I felt safer in that than my ladder, probably because of the rail (summit viper). I gradually got more comfortable going higher. I have no problem climbing to 25' now.
That was years ago and I've just recently started to use a LW. I go 17' with three LW sticks and a muddy stick. Maybe some type of similar transition can help your friends. Hope this was helpful.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:09 am

One of my best friends is afraid of heights. I have tried to help him but he refuses to step out of his comfort zone. It doesn't mean its game over, we just always try to find ground setups for him to make it work.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:13 am

You have to be comfortable up in a tree. You won't be very successful if you wet your pants and blow chow up there.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:27 am

Guille Suit and Huntmore chair. No stress from heights, total mobility, lottsa fun!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:00 am

All they need to do to remain mobile is get high enough on stand to get an arrow over the cover and into the buck. Lots of us have killed bucks at 4, 6, 8 feet off the ground. Lots of us have killed bucks from the ground while hunting mobile as well.

There are some advantages to hunting in a low perch versus 20 feet or more, there is less chance of the buck skylighting you from its bed (if bed hunting), getting your stand up is quicker and quieter with a lot less chance of making a noise and blowing a set from clanking a step, etc, and the shot angle to the vitals is improved.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:50 am

Stanley wrote:You have to be comfortable up in a tree. You won't be very successful if you wet your pants and blow chow up there.

HILARIOUS!!!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
metropig

Unread postby metropig » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:00 pm

I am afraid of heights but my love for mobile hunting drove me to hangons despite my fears. Without even realizing it I overcame my fear just by repetition. I am still afraid of heights everywhere else but for some reason I am comfortable in a hangon stand.
seeds

Unread postby seeds » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:03 pm

Many years ago I fell from the roof of a 5 story building. For years afterwards I was very afraid of heights - even a 6" stepladder's top step was too much.

Now I cut trees for a living and routinely work "high",either climbing or in the lift truck. I'm getting older and prefer to not climb higher than 45' any longer if I can help it - depending on the tree - but nearly every day I work in the bucket at 60'+ heights.

The trick was just doing it. To combat a fear of heights you've got to face it and conquer it.

One thing that helped was avoiding caffeine before climbing.

Trust your safety equipment (IF it deserves your trust).

That was my biggest problem the first few years - I didn't trust my ropes. I clung to the tree like a baby koala to it's mama and wore myself out too early in the day.

If you're using a harness and lifeline practice falling and getting back into the stand or on the sticks of lowering yourself to the ground. Become confident in your safety...If you're NOT using a harness and lifeline get a ghillie suit and hunt from the ground.

Oh,the 5 story fall? Doc said that all the alcohol in my system likely saved my life - I fell like a rag doll while most people stiffen up as they drop. It should go without saying that without the alcohol I wouldn't have fallen in the first place.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:10 pm

My dad is this way. He uses a 'pack-n-stack' ladder stand by river's edge. It's not ideal, but better than most options.

I also agree with doing the lock on low in the tree. If you focus on finding areas where it is not possible to get high in a tree, you may very well be in a good area anyways… This was one of the first tactics that worked for me on public land, simply looking for large areas where hunting from a tree stand was nearly impossible...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:44 am

When I was younger I did not like heights either, but I did like killing deer, so that got me over it... The more time you spend elevated the more you get used to it.
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:52 am

As an individual that has an aversion to heights the best advice I can give you is don't push them or chastise them over the subject. I have stopped hunting with a couple guys over that type of stuff. It gets old, especially in my case considering I have no control over it. I had severe ear infections when I was a young lad and it screwed up my balance pretty bad. I do hunt from hang-ons but I generally try to keep the platform under 10ft. One thing that helped my a lot is using a linemans belt. Using two is even better when getting around branches. Another thing to help them would be to remind them that hanging a stand isn't a race. Take your time. A sure footed, slow pace is better than sitting at home because you are afraid to climb a tree and it is definitely better than laying dead at the base of the tree.

Bowhunter15 has a good video to show them.
[bbvideo=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPHkbZrw4aw&list=UUrWvet_L5H1_AV3kATmydnQ[/bbvideo]
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:17 am

Another option is a climber with stabilizer straps. The stabilizer straps make the climber rock solid in the tree and they can control the height. Has they build confidence they can go higher.

Bob

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”