How do you carry a rangefinder and binoculars?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

How do you carry a rangefinder and binoculars?

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:52 am

I'm considering carrying binoculars every hunt this year. How do you carry both? I've always carried a rangefinder and most of time its around my neck. Do you tether it off your binoculars? Keep the rangefinder in your pocket with the binoculars around your neck? Other? Curious to here what others are doing as it seems like the majority of guys are carrying binoculars.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: How do you carry a rangefinder and binoculars?

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:05 am

My small binos are attached to my belt. I hunt in the thick so I don't use a range finder.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:31 am

Never used a rangefinder, but if I bring binoculars I carry them in my pocket.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:48 am

Bino buddy for binos. Rangefinder in my front pocket.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:00 am

Rangefinder is in a waist pack, after setting up I range expected shots then put it away.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:27 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:Rangefinder is in a waist pack, after setting up I range expected shots then put it away.

I was thinking binoculars around the neck and rangefinder in pocket is best. Anyone successfully carry both around their neck. Sounds cumbersome. Last thing I need is cumbersome. Maybe I'm over thinking it.

Really the rangefinder is a security blanket for me. Only comes into play on bigger and questionable hill country distances that I never have to deal with. Anything under 40 in most conditions is field judge after pre-ranged targets. Same thing goes with the binoculars. Not necessary at close range but nice to have at the longer distances.

Murphy's law still shows up though. I screwed up big time on a 140 class last year I thought was at 50 yds in hill country (sitting high and dealing with elevation). He approached in an unexpected spot. He was moving erratically, so I let him walk as I thought he was too far to take an ethical shot. In reality, he was much closer and the shot could have been made. Rangefinder was in my fanny pack and unavailable at the moment of truth. Last year I kept nothing around my neck with the exception of the occasional grunt tube. I'm trying to make myself better.
Last edited by BassBoysLLP on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:29 am

muddy wrote:Bino buddy for binos. Rangefinder in my front pocket.

Any particular bino buddy you'd recommend?
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:26 am

I just got the $20 pair of bino holders from Scheels, modeled off the Crooked Horn carrier. Keeps them tight to the chest and out of the way. Here is a pic and you can see how tight they're to my chest. Disregard the deer. My rangefinder I use to hit a couple main targets and it rarely comes out unless a deer comes in an odd area. Just an outside coat pocket is all I need for range finder.

Had to reload a pic up, they look loose because I had taken my big heavy coat off from under the orange, but you get the gist of the caddy.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:40 am

muddy wrote:I just got the $20 pair of bino holders from Scheels, modeled off the Crooked Horn carrier. Keeps them tight to the chest and out of the way. Here is a pic and you can see how tight they're to my chest. Disregard the deer. My rangefinder I use to hit a couple main targets and it rarely comes out unless a deer comes in an odd area. Just an outside coat pocket is all I need for range finder.

Had to reload a pic up, they look loose because I had taken my big heavy coat off from under the orange, but you get the gist of the caddy.

Do the binos slide up the bino hold or stay in place? Trying to picture how they work. Is it beneficial to use to bino hook up on the harness?
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:17 am

I bought a retractable Nikon laynard. I clip it on my belt loop, and just lay it on my lap. If i stand up it cannot fall. I love it. Binoculars on chest with Harness.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:22 am

Swampthing wrote:I bought a retractable Nikon laynard. I clip it on my belt loop, and just lay it on my lap. If i stand up it cannot fall. I love it. Binoculars on chest with Harness.

How loud is the retractable lanyard?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Binocs on my chest connected to the clips on my HSS Ultralight harness and rangefinder in cargo pocket of my hunting pants or jacket pocket in cold weather.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:09 pm

I quit carrying binos years ago and can't say I have missed them even once since then. My range finger is in a chest pocket also on a lanyard around my neck. I carry a camera which takes up the same space as binoculars, short strapped around my neck to hang above the pocket my rangefinder is in, that's key for me to keep things untangled.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:16 pm

JoeRE wrote:I quit carrying binos years ago and can't say I have missed them even once since then. My range finger is in a chest pocket also on a lanyard around my neck. I carry a camera which takes up the same space as binoculars, short strapped around my neck to hang above the pocket my rangefinder is in, that's key for me to keep things untangled.

That is a point I forgot to make. I plan on dropping the binos when I carry the camera. Otherwise its way too much stuff as the camera and arm add 6x the weight of the binos. Thanks for the input regardless.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:29 pm

Binos tethered to Muddy Harness... Range finder I hang on tree over my right shoulder... so it is readily accessible instantly... bow hanger over my left shoulder with bow and arrow at the ready. I set my tree up the same every sit... makes things familiar and easy when it is crunch time

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”