Hunting a LOGGED OUT piece of land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Hunting a LOGGED OUT piece of land

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 30, 2014 9:49 am

This map is a piece of property that I have had the pleasure of hunting for several years. In Oct 2012, everything in the map was clear cut logged. On the map you can see the white where the hay fields were.

The hay fields are still there and can offer access. The logged area back in late May was well over my head and thick as hair.

Post season I seen bucks everywhere on this land. I was able to get a high vantage point and glass across the mess. I did take notes as to where the ones I seen bedded were at.

So, now there are no trees to climb and hunt from, where would you guys try and catch bucks on this property? Or better yet, how do you guys approach a tract of land like this that's been logged and hunt it?

BigHunt

Re: Hunting a LOGGED OUT piece of land

Unread postby BigHunt » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:59 am

Its completely wiped out???????? No trees at all ????

[ Post made via Android ] Image
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:48 am

BigHunt wrote:Its completely wiped out???????? No trees at all ????

[ Post made via Android ] Image

The loggers did a clear cut on the property. There are trees on the borders, but this map is 338 acres. I have tried to locate some new aerials for the property, but have had no luck yet.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:52 pm

I could mark the map if you want, but basically I would expect bucks to bed based on elevation there the same as if it had not been logged. Only difference would be you may have to hunt off the ground.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:39 pm

Thanks Dan. This property was one of the very first I scouted post season after finding the Beast. This piece of land has so many buck beds. We have taken several really nice bucks from it over the years.

This pass spring, I really couldn't believe how many deer/bucks are using this property now its basically a 338 acre buffet of browse.

I knew it would help the habitat. There are a few funnels I could hunt with really easy access and close to the field edges before logging.

I guess my real question is, should the bucks continue to navigate through the property in the wind tunnel as they did before the logging?
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:57 am

If the answer to your question is yes, it ought to be great for gound huntin. I assume there are tree tops everywhere? The brush and weeds ought to be a tangled mess. Sounds like a fun place to hunt. Logged areas are great. Good luck!
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:48 am

Southern Man wrote:If the answer to your question is yes, it ought to be great for gound huntin. [glow=red]I assume there are tree tops everywhere? The brush and weeds ought to be a tangled mess[/glow]. Sounds like a fun place to hunt. Logged areas are great. Good luck!

You are correct on both. I would really like to assume the bucks are still using the area in the wind tunnel. I have a couple observation stands set up on the borders, that I was going to go and set in closer to season opener.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:23 am

If your hunting rut, or talking bedding, yes, wind tunnel... But if your talking bed to food, they are probably going to head up to the thick logged area to browse.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:18 am

Those downed treetops make excellent ground blinds. Get inside one with a small window to shoot out of to expected buck travel. Wear a headnet with no eyeholes in it and blast the buck when he looks away or or his head passes behind a tree. Ghillie suits are not necessary, a lack of movement is what's critical. Goes without saying to practice with the headnet ahead of time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:25 am

The thick logged area is where I am seeing them through the daylight hours. I have seen several shooters when they hit a bare spot, or when they appear on a short piece of old logging roads. They are really there one second and disappear the next.

The ridge tops are all fields.

I still have permission, as well as the borders to the North, South, and limited to the East.
When the property was logged, there is now a fence that follows the red line on the south of the map. Everything inside the red line has been cleared.

The aerials below show pre-logging and 2 weeks after logging began.

Below is a map where I attempted to draw the logging roads best I could remember them. The red dots are all spots where there has been a shooter seen over the pass two years.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”