hunting by the moon???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

hunting by the moon???

Unread postby MN Legacy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:17 am

Hey I just watched a video on hunting by the moon from Bill Vale and some of his findings are different. My question is buy the Moon guide or spend money on what Mr. Vale is preaching. I'm on the fence about how deer are affected by the moon. Anybody ever use Mr. Vale's techniques.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: hunting by the moon???

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:31 am

I have read his book but I'm not sold on all his ideas with the moon. I do believe the moon has some influence on deer but Bill Vale hunts deer solely based on the moon minor and major times. So many other things that factor into deer movement that I would not base my hunts just based on moon phase

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:45 am

Moon overhead or underfoot help... but IMO focus on fronts... a cold front will bring more consistent daylight action than the moon. With rapid temperature changes... try to hunt before, during, and after if possible. Especially early season right out the gate... the first time the temp drops 20 degrees from the previous day high bucks typically move earlier. The second really good time frame is the first cold front after roughly Oct 20th... both of these instances have brought the highest # of buck sightings/opportunities for me personally.

If the weather is changing.... I'm likely hunting or fishing come fall
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 am

Bucky wrote:Moon overhead or underfoot help... but IMO focus on fronts... a cold front will bring more consistent daylight action than the moon. With rapid temperature changes... try to hunt before, during, and after if possible. Especially early season right out the gate... the first time the temp drops 20 degrees from the previous day high bucks typically move earlier. The second really good time frame is the first cold front after roughly Oct 20th... both of these instances have brought the highest # of buck sightings/opportunities for me personally.

x2 I usually pay more attention to fronts than anything.
BigHills BuckHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BigHills BuckHunter » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:33 am

Like Bucky stated, first cold front after October 20th has been great daylight movement and resulted in kills for me.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:59 am

I think bucky nailed it.

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:10 am

Bucky wrote:Moon overhead or underfoot help... but IMO focus on fronts... a cold front will bring more consistent daylight action than the moon. With rapid temperature changes... try to hunt before, during, and after if possible. Especially early season right out the gate... the first time the temp drops 20 degrees from the previous day high bucks typically move earlier. The second really good time frame is the first cold front after roughly Oct 20th... both of these instances have brought the highest # of buck sightings/opportunities for me personally.

;)
HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:37 am

I agree 100% and if a moon chart day falls on one of these cold fronts that could be even better yet.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:22 am

but cold trumps moon, period.

ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:24 am

and Bill Vale, he definitely puts too much into the moon. Kind of on the nutso side if you ask me.

tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:57 pm

Great info put together very simple Bucky!
Thanks!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”