September Scrapes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mountain Man
500 Club

September Scrapes

Unread postby Mountain Man » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:30 am

I've bow hunted some properties for several consecutive years. I know where the scrapes on those properties will be made year after year; however, something I've noticed is that at these locations, some years several of the scrapes appear by mid-Sept and other years the scrapes appear later. I have read that it is mature bucks (3.5+ years old) that are making the earlier scrapes. Has anybody else seen this difference in timing when the scrapes appear? If so, do you have any thoughts as to why this might be (i.e. early scrapes are a sign of dominance by at least one mature buck)?

Indianahunter
500 Club

Re: September Scrapes

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:58 am

I have noticed this as well, but I do not have any scientific data to support a reason. I do however have an opinion that is different then the one you stated. The reason is based on observation. Young bucks (2 1/2 and younger) seem like 15 year old boys when the first sign of testosterone kicks in. I always see young bucks making the first scrapes and rubs. Prior to the rut going full swing it is always the little guys I see trying to chase does all over the fields. I could be wrong, but 25+ seasons tell me not to trust early rut sign as evidence of a mature deer.
I also read an article once that said that scrapes may simply be a herd communication center. I don't believe that either. Though I do believe deer use them to communicate I think it is totally based on increase in hormones for the purpose of breeding. It only happens whether a little early or a little late just prior to the rut. Sorry I don't have any facts for you, just opinions, but I think it is a good topic for discussion.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:40 am

Scrapes, hunter experiences with them, and scientific research about them can fill volumes. Narrowing it down to September scrapes helps a bit. Most of the well pawed, decent diameter scrapes I have found in September were made by a buck 3 1/2 or older. I'm not implying that it is always the case, just like everything else in deer hunting there are no absolutes. I also look in areas where I expect mature buck sign to be. I have no doubt whatsoever that Indianahunter has found scrapes from younger bucks in September, and they may have been in the same types of areas where I found sign.

Here's my latest encounter with a September scrape: I was helping a friend scout a piece of private property, and began walking a ridgeline adjacent to a bedding area. It was mid-September and I located a big scrape on a bench on the side of the ridge. It was beefed (well pawed!), oval shaped and lengthwise was nearly five feet long. I found several 4-finger standing/walking tracks in the scrape. I informed my friend that a mature buck made the scrape, and being close to a bedding area some careful hunting might reveal a Beast. The buck was never sighted in bow season, but was taken in gun season- a dandy, at least 4 1/2 years old. Note that scouting when we did, right before our bow opener, typically isn't a great idea- but my friend needed a lot of help and a quick recon at least put him in the game.

If you find a scrape in September, examine the tracks if possible (if there's nothing in the scrape, check nearby runways), look for early season rubs after velvet shed, and rubs from last year in the area. Hopefully you find enough sign to give you an idea of the size of the buck.
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:52 am

Good information! Thanks for taking the time to share
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:13 pm

cwoods wrote:Good information! Thanks for taking the time to share

X2 GREAT stuff to read!!!
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:16 pm

X3 Good stuff for sure. I can say without a doubt I never see scrapes that large in September around here...WOW! That's good stuff for sure.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
publiclandhunter
500 Club

Unread postby publiclandhunter » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:21 pm

I have only experienced this on one occasion and ironically a nice 3.5 year-old buck was killed in late October in the general vicinity. I am definitely no expert on scrapes and have my own "fire-hydrant" theory as to how/what they are used for. In the public land I hunt in southern Michigan, I honestly don't pay much attention to them - due to the fact that most are made haphazardly by immature bucks. I tend to look more at tracks and rub sign to tell me what bucks may be hiding in there. I would lean towards what Bridge is saying on the fact that the big boys may be the first to turn the dirt and make a deposit for the others to follow.,,,makes sense to me.

PLH
Go farther, stay longer.........hunt harder.
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:58 pm

In the big woods area I hunt in the UP, I've found nice scrapes in September only twice, and it was in consecutive years. Usually the rut is a little later in our area and scrapes don't show up at all until last days of October to the first days of November. But the first of those two years I shot a 3.5 year old buck, and the next a 4.5 year old buck. The two nicest bucks I've ever shot. Ironic? Maybe? It is just what I encountered. But I know in my circumstances I'm paying attention to September scrapes for no better reason than it's a confidence booster. :lol:
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:26 pm

I was glassing a 2 1/2 year old last weekend crossing a meadow to feed in some beans.He stopped to what I thought was 2 nibble on some buds but actually he was starting a licking branch ,and then statred scraping and urinated in it 2
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:14 am

I agree with SB. Generally speaking, early scrapes are made by deer with AT LEAST one breeding season behind them. Typically, if you come across a primary scrape (one that is used year after year) made in August or early September you can assume that a mature (at least 2.5 year old) buck made it.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:50 am

I don't put much stock in scrapes period unless it is a large pawed to heck community scrape way back in some thick cover with lots of tracks in it and a well used licking branch. Those MAY get visited in daylight, MAYBE? Other than that hunting scrapes on field edges or thin cover you are wasting your time. The vast majority of scrapes are made/ visited at night, as trail cam pics point out year after year.
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:32 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I don't put much stock in scrapes period unless it is a large pawed to heck community scrape way back in some thick cover with lots of tracks in it and a well used licking branch...hunting scrapes on field edges or thin cover you are wasting your time.

x2.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:35 am

I agree
mcmidc

Unread postby mcmidc » Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:22 am

Public Land Beast wrote:I don't put much stock in scrapes period unless it is a large pawed to heck community scrape way back in some thick cover with lots of tracks in it and a well used licking branch. Those MAY get visited in daylight, MAYBE? Other than that hunting scrapes on field edges or thin cover you are wasting your time. The vast majority of scrapes are made/ visited at night, as trail cam pics point out year after year.

I would tend to agree, community scrapes are really the ones worth hunting. But finding some early scrapes in my areas seems to point there being a mature buck (3.5 is rare in my area)in the general vicinity. I don't hunt the actual scrape but it is something that would make me stop and investigate the area more and hope to find a better ambush sight that would see some daylight activity. When scouting the big woods I'm covering a lot of land, and any buck sign will make me stop to investigate, with a September scrape being somewhat of a red flag. Otherwise I'm moving on covering a lot of area.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:11 am

I think it needs to be said that deer make scrapes year round, and not just for dominance/breeding during the pre-rut and rut......Scrapes are a communication between all deer, outside the rut mainly to show who is in the area, and does will make scrapes as well........I wonder if those sept. scrapes people are noticing are indeed freshly opened or have been used all year and since most hunters don't hit the woods til sept. that is when they are noticed??? I really don't hold much stock in hunting over scrapes as they are hit or miss if the big buck that left his sign there will come back in daylight hours. During the rut if I find alot of fresh scrapes in one area, I might set up near them as they will get more attention at this time by a number of different deer, and alot of the activity can be during daylight hours.......But I never hold any stock in hunting over early scrapes, because I feel, like I said, they are more than likely community scrapes that have been tended all year and the odds are slim you will find the deer you want tending it in daylight...........Just my 2 cents.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”