Hip Boots

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

GBTG

Hip Boots

Unread postby GBTG » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:40 am

What type/brand of hip boots are best for hunting out of all day. Looking for a pair I can use to access those wetland stands and then wear all day on the stand during northern wisconsin gun season.
Thanks,
Dave

bigwoodsmn

Re: Hip Boots

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:51 am

See if this link works - guys talked about some various options.

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=23618&start=1

I got that convertable pair and liked them for spring scouting in up to thigh deep icy water.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
topcamp

Unread postby topcamp » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:35 am

i have hunted in hip boots for whitetail longer than i can remember.........eastern shore of md.........high ground.....marsh. absolute ground scent control if you keep them clean. tops are to high for scent roll out that knee boots give you. i usually go through a pair of these a year........http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Ultimate8482-Insulated-Contour-Hip-Boot/722107.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dhipboots%26x%3D0%26y%3D0%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts&Ntt=hipboots&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products .............but you will need to put them on a boot dryer for hip boots every night if you can..............even in hot weather, i still use them......easy to walk in......quietly.......climb in.........and in really cold weather ........a couple small heat packs between the socks will get you through the hunt...................
the inflation of dreams that keep us sitting in a fricking tree.......no matter how improbable the singularity of possibility....._b... on the hunting of big whitetail.
JakeJD
500 Club

Unread postby JakeJD » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:40 am

topcamp wrote:absolute ground scent control if you keep them clean.

How do you keep them clean? I am not sure what you mean. Do you hose them down before every hunt? Spray with scent killer? Or just keep them stored in a tub away from household scents and only use them for hunting?

BTW, I have a pair of the Cabela's boots that you mention, and they have my approval. Although, Cabela's never seems overly consistent with their products year to year, so I could buy a new pair this year with very different results. I assume that they constantly shop the manufacturing around to different places in China?
"In the deed, the glory"
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:43 am

I use these

http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-BoneDry- ... uct/31398/

They are not thick and warm but i would prefer to use underment layers for that
Make It Happen
topcamp

Unread postby topcamp » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:25 pm

jakedeaver............i really do nothing extreme keeping the boots clean..........they are used only for deer hunting............i try never to handle the bottoms with bare hands......[ i go through boxes and boxes of surgical gloves every season ]...........never fold them down to take off..........just use the heel plate to pull of the foot with the other foot .....[ never a sock ]..........when i get in the rig.........i use a contrators trash bag and just put both feet inside and drive away....................i make my own scent control and once in awhile i will spray the bottom half of the boots down............but i'm more inclined to just walk through wet weeds......marsh muck.........leaf dirt..............

when i put them on the boot dryers every night.........i handle them only with the surgical gloves............if i'm not hunting for a few days in a row........i will place a contractors trash bag over them on the boot dryer....................

you are spot on about quality control on these boots as i had to send a pair back last year............crack along the bottom heel line..........probably wouldn't have leaked but i was worried about scent more than wet feet. btw.......i have had foxes cross my path to my stand...........five minutes after i was in the air..............never had a clue i had just walked to the tree...............like i mentioned .........i never have my scent trail busted by deer because i simple don't leave one...................of course that means you are not touching foliage with what's above the boots also on the way in.
the inflation of dreams that keep us sitting in a fricking tree.......no matter how improbable the singularity of possibility....._b... on the hunting of big whitetail.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:27 pm

topcamp,

Could you please post without all of the extra periods? Makes it very hard to read especially on mobile with the green font.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:31 pm

Dewey wrote:topcamp,

Could you please post without all of the extra periods? Makes it very hard to read especially on mobile with the green font.

I am with you on that

topcamp

Unread postby topcamp » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:26 am

sorry about that buckarooooooooos. it's a visual way of writing on the computer to duplicate voice modulation and at this point.........i'm not using a green screen to read on. hmmmmmmmmmm.

but going back to hip boots. since i hunt with a recurve, one of the great sidebars to hunting with hip boots is that one can just slip that lower limb into the top of the left boot [ i'm right handed ] and one has a ready armed bow rest in hand.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:04 am

topcamp wrote:sorry about that buckarooooooooos. it's a visual way of writing on the computer to duplicate voice modulation and at this point.........i'm not using a green screen to read on. hmmmmmmmmmm.

You must be a .......... joy to talk to!
but going back to hip boots. since i hunt with a recurve, one of the great sidebars to hunting with hip boots is that one can just slip that lower limb into the top of the left boot [ i'm right handed ] and one has a ready armed bow rest in hand.

topcamp

Unread postby topcamp » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:59 am

lol....... ;)
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:54 pm

I have often thought they'd be great for helping to keep scent free while walking in, anyone else have experience with this?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”