Ground blinds

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Riverdeer
Facebook: Drake Richie

Ground blinds

Unread postby Riverdeer » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:13 am

Any of you guys hunt out of ground blinds?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Re: Ground blinds

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:59 am

G3s has had a lot of success with ground blinds.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18564&hilit=blind
jafcb

Unread postby jafcb » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:13 am

Riverdeer
I am debating on Buying a ground Blind to hunt from.
Except i dont know of anyone who has used the mirrored ground blind http://ghostblind.com/
hopefully you have some luck
George Harris
U.S. Army Soon to be retired
“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
― George Orwell
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:31 am

Old spice hey?? going thru a divorce might have to try that during the rut?? ;) :lol: :L: :L: :character-beavisbutthead:
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:46 am

For my first two years that is all I hunted out of. This year I will do a bit in the blind but mostly from my track chair with a ghillie netting piece around it.

Actually heading out to setup my blind tomorrow so the deer in that area have a chance to get used to for a few months before the season starts.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Riverdeer
Facebook: Drake Richie

Unread postby Riverdeer » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:59 am

I bow hunt out of a ground blind most of the early bow season because the ground I hunt is a swampy river bottom lots of gumbo mud and thousand year old cypresses trees and u guys know there hard to put a climber on, I've killed most of my deer out if a ground blind believe it or not. I pull the climber out during gun season and late bow season, really considering selling the summit climber I have and buying a lone wolf hang on

Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:00 am

I have always had a hard time believing that a mature buck wouldn't be suspicious of a blind. They seem to stick out like a sore thumb in the woods. Also, I couldn't find too many spots where one would fit. They take up a lot of ground space.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:49 am

I hunt a lot out of ground blinds, probably half my hunts, but not the manufactured type. I agree most of those stick out too much but the real reason is I hate being boxed in with limited visibility. Instead I rough in natural blinds by leaning a few logs together, just enough to break up my outline. They don't look like anything, most people will walk right by them, but trust me they work for mobile hunting where I will only sit a spot once or twice a season. It takes me maybe 10 minutes to put together. Here is a pic of a blind I made this spring. Its the few sticks leaned together in the center-background, I sit at the base of that small tree on a log. There was not decent size tree in the right spot, I am less exposed on the ground than 10 foot up a skinny little tree. There is a primary buck bedding area in the background of the photo. I plan on doing a thread on how I pick these ground blind when I have time...

cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:16 pm

JoeRE,
I'm looking forward to that thread

justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:31 am

Until last year most of my hunts have been on the ground. It was borderline impossible with my past skills/knowledge. But I am persistent and patient. And quiet. And stationary. And observant. Surely others can relate. So going forward with some good ideas from here my optimism is kicking in. We need lots of that too.
Once I was along a mowed strip of grass and wanted to set up in the tall weeds 2-3 yards in. A large deer had created a nice bed exactly where I tried to hunt from! I am keeping that spot under watch now. And understand a little of why it was there.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:31 am

I've tried to use the purchased blinds for deer a couple times. In my experience they don't like them until they have been in the field for a long time. Months. My brother hunts a lot out of small brush blind he makes and does well out of these. They feet don't pay any attention to them.

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
exojam

Unread postby exojam » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:10 am

JoeRE wrote:I hunt a lot out of ground blinds, probably half my hunts, but not the manufactured type. I agree most of those stick out too much but the real reason is I hate being boxed in with limited visibility. Instead I rough in natural blinds by leaning a few logs together, just enough to break up my outline. They don't look like anything, most people will walk right by them, but trust me they work for mobile hunting where I will only sit a spot once or twice a season. It takes me maybe 10 minutes to put together. Here is a pic of a blind I made this spring. Its the few sticks leaned together in the center-background, I sit at the base of that small tree on a log. There was not decent size tree in the right spot, I am less exposed on the ground than 10 foot up a skinny little tree. There is a primary buck bedding area in the background of the photo. I plan on doing a thread on how I pick these ground blind when I have time...

Chop, chop Joe it has been less than a day and there is no write up like you described. Talk about slacking :lol:

On a serious note I am looking forward towards your write up and hopefully some pics to go along with it since I will be outside my manufactured blind pretty much this whole upcoming year.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”