Dan and Andrea - What are some key differences

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampbuck

Dan and Andrea - What are some key differences

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:28 am

Dan, i've noticed a few things you have said and from the videos and such that although you and Andrea focus on the same overall theme there are some differences in your tactics and thought it may make for good conversation as i haven't seen a thread that specifically discussed these details. So what are some the major, or really subtle differences in your tactics and methods and why do you think these work for each of you?

One thing that I heard Andrea say in the video and in an interview that has always sounded interesting to me was the following;

"Another big mistake is the thought of 'overhunting' a hot spot. I’ve seen guys leave red-hot spots that were really happening—and just let them fizzle out. I would say don’t back off and let that golden opportunity slip away you. When you find really hot sign you need to get on it and stay on it."

I expect that he means when you find the hot bedding then move in immediately but it also sounds like he may make multiple hunts on it, but I'm sure you have more insight into this and whether it differs with your approach or not.

Anyway very interested in your thoughts on the different twists you guys employ so anything you could share would be great!!

Make It Happen
Justin85

Re: Dan and Andrea - What are some key differences

Unread postby Justin85 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:37 am

I took Andre's quote to mean funnel hunting the rut. Similar to the one year trail camera. A hunt in Nov with no sightings and moving on wouldnt be wise.....that is the kind of place where time combined with smart hunting will get your buck.

That's my opinion. I'd like to hear what he really meant though.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:55 am

I like to spring scout, Andrae scouts more in season. He is generally only hunting one specific buck and I have seen him pass booners for a slightly bigger booner...

I believe Andraes statement about hunting while it is hot is referring to some people not wanting to over hunt a stand and backing out when a big buck or target buck is hanging right there.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:07 am

I think another big difference is Dan is hunting more public land than Andrae. I believe Andrae used to hunt more public in years past, but now he hunts and manages land in prime areas.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:32 am

So is he more inclined to hunt a bedding area for multiple sits, that is the impression i got..

and did he use that same approach of multiple hunts and in season scouting on public. I would wonder if those tactics are are more suited to managed land but I also know he had great success on public but it seems your approach fits pressured deer better

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:22 am

I hunt with Andrae every now and then, though its getting to be less and less as we get older... Watching him hunt his farm last season he did about the same thing I would in his situation... He was hunting one animal. But he bounced from area to area hunting different spots every sit. He has hundreds of stands and each hot spot already has one for the most part... In the mornings after each hunt he scouts his way back checking for hot sign and checking on hunches.

So, he really ain't hunting the same spot over and over. I think your misinterpreting what he is saying. When I see him hunt the same spot multiple times its cause he is seeing his target buck there...

If there is only one buck in the state of Iowa that he is willing to put his tag on it makes sense that his hunts are all near that bucks home range. I think he really gets into the one on one challenge of hunting one buck... For me, hunting with him is really cool because its like the old days where we sit down and talk about each of our target bucks, what we are seeing, and bounce ideas off of each other... Andrae can be very opinionated and stubborn about certain things, but he does have an open mind when talking with people he respects as hunters... He is very secretive with most, but openly talks with me about his target deer, as I do with him.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:37 am

How long would you think it would take either of you to come to an unknown property, say where I hunt in Indiana, find a mature buck or bucks, pattern him and get into position for a shot?

One thing that has always been interesting to me is how pro bass fisherman can go to a lake that people think are essentially devoid of bass and they just tear it up daily bags of 20 pounds or more...or people think there are no big bass in a lake and the pros are boating 5-7 pounders all day... it shows just how much more they know about fishing than the average fisherman and I am curious as to how analagous it is to deer hunting for mature bucks...if the pros like Andrae and Dan are similar.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:57 am

mheichelbech wrote:How long would you think it would take either of you to come to an unknown property, say where I hunt in Indiana, find a mature buck or bucks, pattern him and get into position for a shot?

One thing that has always been interesting to me is how pro bass fisherman can go to a lake that people think are essentially devoid of bass and they just tear it up daily bags of 20 pounds or more...or people think there are no big bass in a lake and the pros are boating 5-7 pounders all day... it shows just how much more they know about fishing than the average fisherman and I am curious as to how analagous it is to deer hunting for mature bucks...if the pros like Andrae and Dan are similar.

Thats hard to say, and would probably depend mostly on the terrain... Some places are easier than others.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:10 pm

Dan and Andrea - What are some key differences -----Dan a dude and Andrea is a girl???? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dan and Andre is a whole different question though.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:17 pm

correct spelling: Andrae D'Acquisto
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Dan is taller................ Likes long walks and listening to the wind blow thru his hair :L:
jonsimoneau
500 Club

Unread postby jonsimoneau » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Tactics may vary but to me there are more similarities than differences between these two guys. The biggest and absolutely the most important similarity is a love for whitetails that most may not understand and a non-hunter will absolutely never understand. It is impossible to be truly successful at something you do not love. All successful deer hunters really love what they do. It defines them as a person. The same thing is true for successful business people or any other endeavor for that matter. I really think that bowhunters should be very concerned with what their reasons are for hunting more than anything else. If you are doing it for the right reasons and applying effort to what you love you can be successful. But also, if you are applying effort and you continue to fail, this really does not matter. If you love it, then you will carry on. Bowhunting should remain a very personal sport. The fact that Dan is so successful on public land is just a testament to this in my opinion.
christian1
500 Club

Unread postby christian1 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:25 pm

Bigdaddy-yoyo wrote:Dan is taller................ Likes long walks and listening to the wind blow thru his hair :L:

Yoyo--I like where your head is. Let's not forget candlelight dinners and French poetry :shifty:
WKPTodd
Facebook: Todd Pringnitz

Unread postby WKPTodd » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:51 am

$$$
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:36 am

WKPTodd wrote:$$$

Aint that the truth! :lol: