New to big woods hunting (Northern WI)

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bhuntin

New to big woods hunting (Northern WI)

Unread postby Bhuntin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:08 pm

I am looking at venturing off in a new direction in my hunting this fall at least during the gun season. I have never hunted the big woods of northern WI before and want to give it a try. I grew up hunting the farm country in the central part of the state which has been great and I see lots of deer all the time. I'm looking for a little different experience where there is not a hunter for every 10-20 acres. I just need a little help to get me started in the right direction. Any help would be great.

I think I have at least narrowed down to the county that I want to hunt in and I'm trying to narrow down from there.

1. What tactic do you find to be the most productive?

2. Any tips for online scouting?

3. How far in do you see most people hunting? I will most likely be hunting after opening weekend during the week so I don't think I will run into many people but you never know.

4. What food source do you key in on that time of year? Are there acorns left by then or are the deer mostly on new growth from logging?

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: New to big woods hunting (Northern WI)

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:26 pm

1. What tactic do you find to be the most productive?

Bed hunting and favored forage areas in the early season / buck cruise trails between and along doe bedding during rut periods / food sources and associated bedding in the late season.

2. Any tips for online scouting?

Search for transitions and edge.

3. How far in do you see most people hunting? I will most likely be hunting after opening weekend during the week so I don't think I will run into many people but you never know.

most people are within a quarter of a mile of a road or trail.

4. What food source do you key in on that time of year? Are there acorns left by then or are the deer mostly on new growth from logging?

In big woods there are many different types of browse / mast / lichens etc. There's a lot more to it than clearcuts and acorns but they can get you started in the right direction.

There is a ton for you to learn, I recommend that you search the public land postings as well as scouting posts. In the articles area there is good information on big woods cuts, etc.
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:01 pm

In any woods, but especially big woods I always gravitate towards water. Streams, rivers, ponds, and swamps usually lead you to deer sooner or later. Not only do they provide cover, but the also offer a transition edge. Narrows your search down and gives you a starting point.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
G3s
500 Club

Unread postby G3s » Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:30 am

My situations for big woods hunting is a little different in the fact that there are absolutely no Oak trees around my area what so ever. I focus my attention on waterways almost exclusively. For me to cyber scout a section would be to locate a river system and look for likely crossing/bedding points in the river/creek. 180 degree bends, S turns in the river that would make one spot a shallow water crossing point, and small topography differences that would relate to a spring or beaver pond runoff area seem to make great points to focus attention on as they seem to be areas thick with Osier/Dogwood trees that grow very thick. As far as finding/hunting a food source, good luck. I have yet to find a consistent food source in big woods. The deer eat hundreds of different leaves, barks, lichens, mushrooms, ect.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:33 pm

Like Terry when I hunt the northwoods I am always drawn towards any type of water especially swamps and beaver ponds. Seems like these are the most consistent areas that I find mature buck sign. The more secluded the better and less the natural movement is affected by bait piles.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:23 am

I had the same idea as you a few years ago and started hunting every gun season in northern Wisconsin. I have been doing it ever since and love it. Some things I learned so far in comparison to farmland hunting:
- Get ready to see a whole lot less deer. Seeing three deer in a day is pretty good for where I hunt but there is a decent chance one of them will be a good buck. Bucks are smaller, a 140 inch deer is a giant.
- Where I hunt, about a 10,000 acre chunk of public, guys wander around ALL OVER. I set up a mile from the nearest access and still see orange walking through the woods once or twice opening weekend. Most guys stay closer to the road but some don't, there are less hunters than farm country but they walk around more where I hunt anyway.
- It was confusing at first when I started scouting and hunting big woods, everything is way more subtle than farm or hill country. It takes some time to recognize big woods pinch points and edges for what they are when you are used to field edges, ravines, hill sides, and fence lines! Stick with it and don't give up you will get the hang of it. Deer are still creatures of the edge.
- If there is much hunting pressure in the area you won't see much rutting activity on Wisconsin's gun opener. My tactic is still trying to target the most secure bedding for bucks because that is where they are going once the gunshots start ringing out. I don't get much time to scout either since its a 4 hour drive up there so most of my scouting is done with aerials and topos too. Like has been mentioned I look for the most secure and isolated potential bedding spots for older bucks, a lot of times near water. I have killed one good buck in the last three years doing that and with more scouting am confidant I would have shot more.
- There are quite a few oak flats where I hunt, on a good acorn year deer feed on them well through the winter. Another prime food source are 1-5 year old clear cuts. During the first part of regular gun season you will not see any deer there during daylight though, key in on bedding. Late season these food sources are prime. Honestly I am thinking of hunting muzzleloader season instead of rifle because from what I understand nobody hunts late season up there and deer movement should be more normal.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:05 am

G3s wrote:My situations for big woods hunting is a little different in the fact that there are absolutely no Oak trees around my area what so ever. I focus my attention on waterways almost exclusively. For me to cyber scout a section would be to locate a river system and look for likely crossing/bedding points in the river/creek. 180 degree bends, S turns in the river that would make one spot a shallow water crossing point, and small topography differences that would relate to a spring or beaver pond runoff area seem to make great points to focus attention on as they seem to be areas thick with Osier/Dogwood trees that grow very thick. As far as finding/hunting a food source, good luck. I have yet to find a consistent food source in big woods. The deer eat hundreds of different leaves, barks, lichens, mushrooms, ect.

G3s: This is such fantastic information and I've been reviewing my big woods public spots - I will definitely be employing some of these tactics this year.

... JoeRE: I'd be willing to send some tracking videos your way. I share them with members that are going to be hunting big woods. If you want them PM me. I sent them to a friend 2 years ago and he tracked and killed a slob in northern WI late season in a snow storm with his primitive muzzleloader. He's also been tracking and shooting does right in their beds. If a person really looks into the tracking resources out there it can be one of the most effective way to pluck the biggest bucks from an area. The biggest buck I've ever shot northwoods I shot while still-hunting using some tips from Hal Blood. Be sure to keep reading MagicMan's threads. You have a unique opportunity - You may see fewer deer than you are used to but you can shoot a decent buck almost every year if you dive right in. Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”