GPS studies

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

lynchpin

Re: GPS studies

Unread postby lynchpin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:33 pm

KLEMZ wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:Be neat to see one of these with the points plotted in different colors between daylight and night movement[/quote

I agree

This is the third GPS buck study I have seen, (thanks for sharing cbigbear and Terry) and not one of them has anything to say about the bucks spending their days in a REPEATED small area, (bedding). Surely they have that information stairing them in the face! Why is it not mentioned?

The study brought up by Terry was done in a big woods setting in Pennsylvania. The author of the study says he welcomes questions. He left his email address, so I will email and ask if he could plot the daytime location of at least one mature buck. If he agrees, I will post the info on the beast.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I would like to see wind, temp, and other variables as well . It would be very interesting.

go DEEP or go HOME
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:35 pm

KLEMZ wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:Be neat to see one of these with the points plotted in different colors between daylight and night movement[/quote

I agree 100%!!!

This is the third GPS buck study I have seen, (thanks for sharing cbigbear and Terry) and not one of them has anything to say about the bucks spending their days in a REPEATED small area, (bedding). Surely they have that information stairing them in the face! Why is it not mentioned?

The study brought up by Terry was done in a big woods setting in Pennsylvania. The author of the study says he welcomes questions. He left his email address, so I will email and ask if he could plot the daytime location of at least one mature buck. If he agrees, I will post the info on the beast.

Great info if you can get it. Please share results/data if you do receive.

Magic tried and shot down regarding the Winter WI gps data. Now I'm trying "slowly and less intrusive" lol still without much luck.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:42 pm

Good stuff

[ Post made via Android ] Image
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:10 pm

Not sure about the SC study, but the PA study is currently taking place. The same professor is over the Tensas NWR study in LA & also the PA one. The students are doing their thesises on this research so results are still a ways out. They do have current info, but it isn't being released. I went to a seminar weekend before last to hear Dr Chamberlin discuss the Tensas study. It was very informative, but data as far as waypts & time frames were limited.

Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:04 pm

thanks for the info 8-)
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Good read
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:01 am

purebowhunting wrote:Be neat to see one of these with the points plotted in different colors between daylight and night movement.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

They must have got this question a lot. The attached graph has since been added to the QDMA site article.

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:53 am

cbigbear wrote:They must have got this question a lot. The attached graph has since been added to the QDMA site article.

Thanks for adding that map. I looked up the property on caltopo and it is flat as a pancake and a spiderweb of forest roads/trails. In fact the whole propery is squares and rectangles with the average distance between roads being about 1/4 mile. In other words, the deepest back a buck can get off any road is 1/8 mile. And practically every square has a food plot. There are perhaps 75 food plots.

When I looked at higher resolution aerials showing all the roads, and compared where the daytime groupings are clumped (bedding), it was obvious that this 4.5 yr old buck prefers to bed where he can watch the roads. On the rare spot he isn't near the road he is in what appears to be a thicket. These thickets are only 100 yrds from the roads.

Interesting stuff.

here is the topo
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:12 am

8-)
ajack

Unread postby ajack » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:20 am

KLEMZ wrote:
cbigbear wrote:They must have got this question a lot. The attached graph has since been added to the QDMA site article.

Thanks for adding that map. I looked up the property on caltopo and it is flat as a pancake and a spiderweb of forest roads/trails. In fact the whole propery is squares and rectangles with the average distance between roads being about 1/4 mile. In other words, the deepest back a buck can get off any road is 1/8 mile. And practically every square has a food plot. There are perhaps 75 food plots.

When I looked at higher resolution aerials showing all the roads, and compared where the daytime groupings are clumped (bedding), it was obvious that this 4.5 yr old buck prefers to bed where he can watch the roads. On the rare spot he isn't near the road he is in what appears to be a thicket. These thickets are only 100 yrds from the roads.

Interesting stuff.

here is the topo

Now that's some high quality internet sleuthing right there!
tcop7
500 Club

Unread postby tcop7 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:04 pm

Very interesting stuff! Thanks for sharing! 8-)
[glow=green]Experience Is What You Get When You Didn't Get What You Wanted![/glow]

[glow=blue]McLaughlin Athletic Center[/glow]
[glow=blue]Northwest Ohio's Youth Sports Complex![/glow]
[dropshadow=blue]Visit us at --->[/dropshadow]http://www.macgymohio.com/ [dropshadow=blue]<---[/dropshadow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”