your "Theme" for 2014

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MN Legacy
500 Club
Facebook: Brent Bushy

Re: your "Theme" for 2014

Unread postby MN Legacy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:53 am

Well the same as usual. I do have a knew peace of public land that I'm going to try out.

[ Post made via Windows Smartphone ] Image

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:57 am

I think I am going to hunt less this year than in recent years. I also think I am going to get one buck license instead of two. I cut back last year also. I only got one buck tag last year. I can hunt hard when I do hunt. If I would happen to score too early I could always get the other buck tag.

I kind of wish the whole state would switch to one buck tag per person. I like to hunt but I really don't need to kill more than one buck. I kind of feel Like I am greedy if I kill more than one buck. Anyway those are my plans and they are not etched in stone. I might /can/could change my mind. Main thing, I want to enjoy the experience, I am in the winter of my hunting career. I need to make every day of the season an emotional sensation. Hunting has been a huge part of my whole life.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:25 am

Recurve or bust

[ Post made via Android ] Image
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:45 am

Awesome Mud!

KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:51 am

Hunt fresh sign as much as possible. Not rely on blindly hunting beds found in springtime.

-walk field edges and strategic funnels and crossings looking for tracks related to known bedding.

-sacrifice a day of bed sitting in order to sit an observation stand that watches at least two bedding areas to see if anyone is home before blindly sitting good bedding areas.

-walk transition lines looking for big sign coming out of the thick cover and relating that to known or suspected bedding..and hunting that same day.

-scout my way in to a good bedding area (as determined during spring scouting), and possibly NOT hunt it if I see zero tracks on the trails leading into the beds. If I feel the buck is probably not in the bed(s), I will walk to the bed and look at it. Worst case, he WAS using it! But I still benefit from specific intel on that bed, plus, he will be bumped to another bed in the area (which I hopefully know about). Also, I could hunt it directly at the bed and hope he sneaks back that same day.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:24 pm

Going with a 3 pronged attack! Last two winters in MN have been pretty brutal so it wont' be easy but I suspect there could be a buck or two out there with my name on it.

Want to score an early season buck, not always an easy task on public land but I burnt a lot of hunting time last year scouting early season so I have a much better idea of where they might be hiding out this year.

After the first two weeks of the season its going into full blow young hunter training, taking my 6 year old out for a little bowhunting, grouse hunting, duck hunting and some general time in the woods. We had a lot of fun last year and it should only get better this season.

Finally prime time/rut. Will be hitting all my prime spots and mixing in a few hunts with my boy and the rest of the family.
vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:02 pm

My wife got her first bow this summer. So my goal is to get her an archery buck.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:51 pm

Hunt hard... hunt smart. No regrets come January

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Looking to have my best year. I'm excited about hunting in ohio on a good piece of ground I've had a chance to walk a few times this spring. I'll spend time at home on a lease land in southern Michigan. What makes things really cool is I had all my vacation scheduled for November1st thru thanksgiving. I'll work next week which was scheduled as a shutdown week to launch the new F-150 truck. Working that week saved me a weeks vacation which I'll schedule for ohio's gun season in December. I forgot to mention Ford just told me I will be on layoff from September 1 to November 1. I'm not making this up. I'll be off from Labor Day to mid December. I have been blessed this year by the hunting gods. Probably won't get this type of opportunity again.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:06 pm

I am going to have more bed hunts this year than ever before. I am excited for the potential encounters i may have. The theme is to be aggressive and have fun, not worrying about getting the kill or not, just gaining more experience and learning.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
TJS
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/travis.sweet.5

Unread postby TJS » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:19 pm

Bucky wrote:Hunt hard... hunt smart. No regrets come January

You took the words right out of my mouth.... 8-)
When that big buck walks towards you this fall, concentrate on your breathing and get your eyes off his antlers.

TJS
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:24 pm

Hunt smart ... Don't force a sit because I think I should be hunting... Observation sits to better figure out my new property.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
go DEEP or go HOME
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:29 pm

muddy wrote:Recurve or bust

Beautiful Black Widow!
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:33 am

I have several blind hunts planned on public land, wooded, hill country. Time seems to be always limited and it's been hard to scout all the spots I want to in winter. Maybe this will give me a jump on them. I haven't done much of these in the last few years and I'm looking forward to it.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:14 am

Muddy, gorgeous bow! I have always had a thing for black widow bows, and if I ever get competent with my recurve, I hope to eventually own one.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”