Beds with pictures

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Stevew77

Beds with pictures

Unread postby Stevew77 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:03 am

Okay guys I set out two morning ago to move a camera into a spot I knew deer traveled through regularly. I came in from a different way using a newly cleared 4 wheeler trail that goes through a pine thicket that is about 8 years old. At the trails end I would have been 15 yards from the hardwood draw. Well once I got there I hit a briar wall that was only about 10 yards wide so I started working through it and I noticed all kids of scat and so on.

It only took a second for me to realize that I had screwed up but I was already there so I pushed through the remaining 7 yards or so. The whole time all I could think was I messed around and busted through this doe bedding area but I didn't see any beds. And then I hear a deer run off . After 20 silent cuss words I stepped into the hardwoods and the minute I did I looked down and bam, three huge beds that a half grown cow could have used. The weird thing was they were all within 5' of eachother and they were 3 times the size of any doe bed I've ever found. After snapped a couple pictures I went around the other way to avoid the beds and walked up on two or three doe beds that were half the size and this was the same area I heard the deer run off so I'm guessing it was a doe.

So could it be a bachelor group or possibly just one buck who uses a different bed daily?

There were so small rubs close within 20 yards of the beds.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

JoeRE
500 Club

Re: Beds with pictures

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:43 am

Sounds like you found the bedding area of a doe family group to me. Maybe bucks use it too, hard to say without more details on location and if the beds looked like they were for specific winds or just in a cluster like does tend to bed but rubs also show up in doe bedding areas in the rut.

When any deer beds in a specific spot regularly often they get worn and can end up looking very large because they often end up laying down a little different each time. If a bed looks well worn I would not assume anything based on its size alone.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”