How many shoot multiple bucks?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

62kodiak
500 Club

How many shoot multiple bucks?

Unread postby 62kodiak » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:33 pm

I was just looking on the Benoit website and on there they mention that Lanny and Shane have shot over 150 bucks over #200 combined. That is just crazy to think that 2 guys could do so much damage in the deer woods. I guess that tracking thing really works. :lol:

I know that most of us on here are just mere mortals that shoot somewhere between 0-1 bucks a year but I know that some of you guys are filling more tags then that. Any of you multiple state/country guys shooting more than 1 buck a year fairly consistently?

It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
JLS

Re: How many shoot multiple bucks?

Unread postby JLS » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Here in Missouri we're allowed 3 bucks and I usually fill 2 of my buck tags . By time I'm done guiding the wife , kids , and shooting a couple of doe my freezer is filled . No reason to get too greedy but gotta make sure we're well fed till the next season :L:
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:45 pm

I don't like to stop hunting... I wait all year for hunting season. Last year I shot and mounted 3 nice bow bucks. 2 in Wisconsin, 1 in Iowa. I also shot a 4th buck with the rifle, a little scrubber but that was a mercy killing. It was in bad shape and would of died a slow painful death had I not shot it. I probably average around 2 bucks a year... With that said though, I would like to see Wisconsin become a one buck a year state regardless of weapon.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:37 pm

Hypothetical...
In my mind; I would like to average 1 buck every 21 days (I'd call that my blackjack theory)!

I can only reply 1 decent (not big) buck every 3 years...

Not all hunters are created equal.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:53 pm

Hunting MS & LA, I'm allowed 6 bucks a year. I've never killed more than 2 in a year, we just don't eat more than 2 deer a year.
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:57 pm

We are a 1 buck state. Unlimited does tho.

There is a chunk of public land where it's a bonus deer and doesn't count against state bag limits. It's federal land. In all the state WMA's you have to use your state tag.

I like the 1 buck limit. It makes you think about the buck you shoot, because it's the only one you get. If you want a lot of meat or just kill something, kill a doe.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
dreaming bucks

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:10 am

0 or 1..... if I need more meat, I shoot a doe.... Just think if every hunter shot 3 or 4 bucks a year, there would not be a buck left, other than spikes. I would vote for One buck a year in a heartbeat.
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:18 am

I think that you guys are misunderstanding the direction I was looking to have this thread go. I was asking more about guys that travel from state to state and possible some Canadian provinces shooting a buck or two in each. I know that this is fairly rare due to time and financial restrictions. It can't be cheap to hunt 3-5 different states in a season. I know that there are a few guys on here that do it though.

I do agree with you guys though that I don't support a guy stacking up bucks or any other deer for that matter like cordwood. Guys shooting tons of deer unnecessarily is why MN is a one deer state this year.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:34 am

Average less than one a year. Other than a farmer asking me to shoot a small buck that was beating (in the act of) his woven wire fence all to heck, I haven't shot a buck since 08. Have only seen one that tripped my trigger. Since them. Passed on more small to marginal deer than I care to remember. The does have paid the price for that. Where I hunted in NC I could kill 2 bucks and unlimited does.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:28 am

Spysar is best known here for shooting multiple bucks yearly in different states. On his Venison Tour he was averaging 4 nice bucks for awhile there. He hasn't posted here for awhile but if you do a search you could find his stories.

Here is one of them. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11230

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:56 am

I get 3 buck tags and I usually shoot 2. I save the third for a hammer, which means it winds up tag soup. I would like to see the tags reduced to 2 though

Make It Happen
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:18 am

I let lots(20-30) bucks walk each season. I haven't killed a buck in my home state of Michigan in 6yrs. Shoot 2-3 does a yr. to eat. See no reason to kill a buck unless it's a whopper. Enjoy watching. Early on it wasn't that way. Michigan would do well to implement one buck limit. The funny or stupid thing is I continue to buy 2 buck tags. I guess I dream of killing a couple monsters every year but it doesn't happen. But maybe this will be the year.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:45 am

62kodiak wrote:[glow=red]I think that you guys are misunderstanding the direction I was looking to have this thread go. I was asking more about guys that travel from state to state and possible some Canadian provinces shooting a buck or two in each. I know that this is fairly rare due to time and financial restrictions. It can't be cheap to hunt 3-5 different states in a season. I know that there are a few guys on here that do it though.[/glow]I do agree with you guys though that I don't support a guy stacking up bucks or any other deer for that matter like cordwood. Guys shooting tons of deer unnecessarily is why MN is a one deer state this year.

He's talking about killing bucks in multiple states guys.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:33 am

Maybe this year. If I fill my WI archery tags I may take a drive down south.

Rubline

Unread postby Rubline » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:03 am

I think a big factor in the Benoit's number of kills (besides being excellent trackers) is living where multiple states adjoin together in a short distance (Maine, VT, NH & New York). Not sure how many tags each of those states give out as some states let you shoot two/three bucks. Big difference in traveling 1-2 days to get to a outstate hunting destination. Here in MN we get 1 buck tag either gun, muzzle or archery and your done. Unfortunately that doesn't stop people from killing multiple buck being party hunting is allowed (buck cross tagging)... I agree that time & $$$ are limiting factors for most.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”