When to start all day sits?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Re: When to start all day sits?

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:04 am

I sit all day from about Oct. 25th thru November 12th or so. This is for rutting bucks.

The other time I will sit all day is when the temperature is very hot (in our area anything in the 80's) and I am able to hunt a preferred watering hole. Deer will come to it all day!

Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:07 am

I'm in se wi and for me i like taking off the week starting with Halloween. That seems to be when there is the most amount of movement.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:48 am

62kodiak wrote:Maybe my timing isn't so far off. I am located about 300 miles north of you Stanley. My hunting land up north is about 450 miles from you. They should be seeking quite a bit earlier then your deer in Iowa, hopefully.

Yes I believe you are correct. I am curious what the southern states chime in with.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:06 am

For NH I would plan 3rd week in november

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:01 am

The bigger deer.in my area dont start moving until november 20-december 10

Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:08 am

It just takes one hot doe to make things crazy where you are hunting. That can happen from roughly October 20th on. I think the vacation time you picked will be fine, just put your time in at good locations. Things tend to slow down after the gun opener, so I think you picked the right time if you want to kill a good one with a bow.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:12 pm

I have my time off this year from the 3rd to the 9th as well as a few other days mixed in. I always like my odds those days. I'm in Central Illinois so I'm a bit later than some of you.

I like what Redman said, all it takes is one hot doe to change things. I shot my buck at a urban spot right outside Chicago last year on the 12th of October. He came running through like something spooked him. For some reason, I poured a little doe in estrus I had left over from the year before. He ran right by my stand and absolutely slammed on the breaks with his nose in the air. He stood there for a minute then turned around looking for that scent. I sent a Slcik Trick through him at 8 yards and he ran 25 and fell over. He wasn't looking for love (I don't think) but when he thought he found it, he wasn't giving it up. Granted, this was a 2.5 year old buck but this area just needs deer shot and the family who lets me hunt it wants deer gone. No other hunting within 5 miles so other than city hired sharp shooters, my dad and I, no one else helps reduce the deer population.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:19 pm

Here in SE Louisiana it's usually week of Christmas thru first week of January

Make It Happen
rizzo999
500 Club

Unread postby rizzo999 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:58 pm

I was just listening to a podcast on Wired to Hunt with Jim Shockey as the guest. He hunts fairly far up north in Canada (can't remember which providence at this time :think: ). Anyways, he was saying up there the prime of the rut is actually the last week of November which REALLY surprised me, but it is all due to the biologically prime time for a fawn to get enough foliage in the following Spring to grow and survive the following winter.

Here is northern IL the big boys seem to get moving the first week of November while land I hunt in central IL the few days surrounding Nov 11th have been the best for me. I'm sure every property is different, though.

mike
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:58 pm

In central NY, I would start around November 7th.

Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:42 pm

Stanley wrote:
62kodiak wrote:Maybe my timing isn't so far off. I am located about 300 miles north of you Stanley. My hunting land up north is about 450 miles from you. They should be seeking quite a bit earlier then your deer in Iowa, hopefully.

Yes I believe you are correct. I am curious what the southern states chime in with.

My dates pretty much line up with yours Stanley. Around Nov 4-5th thru the 20th of November.

The younger bucks (1-2 yo's) start getting antsy in late October but not the older guys. Around the 4-5 of November there is a very noticeable change in older buck movement. Just like someone flipped on a switch. All day sits are a good bet the first 2 weeks of November here. Our gun season always starts the second Saturday of November and I think that puts a damper on things. The older bucks still move quite a bit but more wary. That week before gun season is prime hunting time and great for all day sits.

Also December 10th thru the 17th is a good time for all day sits. Gun season has been over for a few weeks and almost nobody is in the woods. Older bucks move a lot. I would say I've seen more mature bucks during this time than any other time during the season.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
bucksnbows

Unread postby bucksnbows » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:58 am

For me all day sits may at any time from October 25 through the end of November. But........ For me all day sits may mean hunting 2 or 3 different locations. For example I might have a stand near doe bedding and that could be a great morning to 1 pm spot. As I expect bucks to be checking for does. But since does usually exit bedding fairly early to head to food, I might make a move to a stand closer to food and look for bucks either following a group of does or scent checking trails leading to major food source back in the timber. Weather conditions and phases of the rut will dictate where I hunt and for how long.
I have very few locations where I believe sitting there will be productive from dark to dark.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”