2014 MOON DAYS

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: 2014 MOON DAYS

Unread postby dan » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:53 am

Cruising is when bucks get up in daylight and check on doe bedding areas, or look for hot does... Best cruising times are when moon is overhead or under foot... That occurs twice during a 24 hour period. I did not list the times it occurs at night (when we don't or can't hunt)

SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:19 am

dan wrote:I did not list the times it occurs at night (when we don't or can't hunt)

Makes total sense. Thanks.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:09 am

Got me second guessing taking Monday 11/3 and Tuesday 11/4 off. Oh well. I'll be in the woods 11/1-11/4 regardless.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:54 pm

Lunar eclipse this morning created the 'blood ' moon. Pretty cool . Anyone notice good deer movement this morning ?. Had a training class today so I took a drive before heading in and noticed a bunch of deer still out in open fields after 7 . Two were mature bucks , nice shooter and a slob hanging together with a doe and another deer I could not make out in the fog . Wondering if the timing of this eclipse had an effect . Noted for next time ! ;)

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:10 am

Which is better moon overhead or underfoot and why?

Squeege

Unread postby Squeege » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:29 pm

Shot my buck October 29th at 5:58pm. Seven minutes before your predicted peak cruising time. Thanks Dan.

dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:53 pm

Squeege wrote:Shot my buck October 29th at 5:58pm. Seven minutes before your predicted peak cruising time. Thanks Dan.

Awesome! Post a picture for us if you can...
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:54 pm

TN Whitetail Freak wrote:Which is better moon overhead or underfoot and why?

Some say it don't matter, and some say when its above it has a stronger effect... I am undecided.
Squeege

Unread postby Squeege » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:51 pm

Imageshot this beast within 5 mins of the peak cruising time you listed.Thanks Dan

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:17 pm

The buck I saw chasing does was running them a little after 8am this last Sunday, the moon time was 8:22am.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:58 pm

My best hunt this year was November 5th. Great buck and doe movement from dusk to 7:30 AM. Activity was over at 7:30 AM. Best cruising time according to the chart was; "Nov 5th -- 10:50 am" :think: That means the deer were not moving where I was hunting at the peak moon time. The question is, were they moving somewhere else? So if the bucks were moving on the neighboring property, the chart was great for the neighbor and bad for me. But the bucks were moving before the moon charts best time where I was at. :think: So if he has deer movement at peak time and I don't, as the bucks already moved through, is the chart accurate or not? :think: I almost arrowed a nice 10 point with 4 stickers at 6:45 AM that morning for what it's worth. :think:
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:10 pm

is the chart accurate or not?

Most of the killing and activity last week was in the AM, just like the chart shows, seeing bucks within an hour or two of the time posted would make most say "accurate" ... I predict midday and into the afternoon this coming week. Its the rut, and anything can happen, but the most accuracy I see in the chart is during the rut cruising times.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:55 am

Stanley I don't thinks an exact science. When it comes to animals nothing they do is 100% predictable or it would be easy... it's just another thing that has an effect on them, like dropping barometer, cool fronts, light rain and things of that nature... none of them are gurenteed, they just up the odds

Make It Happen
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:41 am

dan wrote:
is the chart accurate or not?

Most of the killing and activity last week was in the AM, just like the chart shows, seeing bucks within an hour or two of the time posted would make most say "accurate" ... I predict midday and into the afternoon this coming week. Its the rut, and anything can happen, but the most accuracy I see in the chart is during the rut cruising times.

I still see the most deer movement the first and last hr of light. I think this is typical, as that is when deer move. I'm trying to keep better track of movement during the best moon times. I just haven't been able to establish a clearly defined correlation. So far I just don't see one.

I can't get an unbiased opinion from other hunters. If a guy kills a buck on a good moon time he claims it's because of the moon phase. If a guy kills a good buck on a non moon day he claims the moon has no effect. Note; There are more bucks killed on non moon days, because there are more non moon times, than moon times. Here is where the controversy can get complicated.

Another thing to remember even when there is more deer movement on the determined moon times. Some of those deer would be moving no matter, it just turns out, they move during the determined moon time. So this kind of dilutes the accuracy.

I did start to watch the DVD MoonBeams 1, 2, & 3 "Jeff Murray" It was just too far fetched for me to even finish. I talked with others that watched the DVD and said the same thing. So I did not gain any insight from that DVD. A good friend of mine that is a true outdoors man. He has caught more fish and killed more good bucks/turkeys than anyone I personally know. He says he has never used a solunar chart to help catch one fish or kill one animal. He says a palm reader could help him hunt and fish better. :think: His words not mine, don't shoot the messenger. It is all interesting to talk/think about anyway.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:44 am

Swampbuck wrote:Stanley I don't thinks an exact science. When it comes to animals nothing they do is 100% predictable or it would be easy... it's just another thing that has an effect on them, like dropping barometer, cool fronts, light rain and things of that nature... none of them are gurenteed, they just up the odds

I agree, some however believe it is.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”