2014 MOON DAYS

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: 2014 MOON DAYS

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:37 am

ozzz wrote:I agree with what stan is saying though. The more factors you can put in your favor, the better off you will be.

I agree with him as well... He is not saying it does or doesn't work. However, he is repeating something I have said many times. It gives you a slight advantage outside the rut. Thats not to say the advantage won't be the difference in getting a buck or not, but, you still have to hunt smart.

For instance, you might have a certain bed to food pattern and you just can't get close enough to the bed to get inside the daytime movement window, so choosing a moon day for THAT spot might get you a movement 15 minutes earlier, thus getting that buck to move farther from his bed...

I can also add, I have seen huge differences in movement based on moon between large managed properties and pressured public.

headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 28, 2014 6:44 am

I think what Stan is saying is you can't just hunt anywhere and hope a buck shows up because of the moon, if this were true everyone would know about moon days and be all over them. Its one of several factors, if you are not hunting in that bucks core area all the moon in the world isn't going to help. I'm a big fan of moon days and I see significantly more deer movement on moon days. You might not be able to tell if you have a lot of deer around but in a bigwoods setting with low numbers it can be like night and day for all age classes of deer.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:19 am

dreaming bucks wrote:Yes Stanley, we know, you don't believe in the moon days..... this thread is for the guys & gals that do.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

I would really hate to mislead another hunter by telling him to hunt all day in September on good moon days. That was the point of my post. Do you honestly think hunting all day in September on good moon days would be prudent? This thread is for everyone not just those that believe.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:25 am

headgear wrote:I think what Stan is saying is you can't just hunt anywhere and hope a buck shows up because of the moon, if this were true everyone would know about moon days and be all over them. Its one of several factors, if you are not hunting in that bucks core area all the moon in the world isn't going to help. I'm a big fan of moon days and I see significantly more deer movement on moon days. You might not be able to tell if you have a lot of deer around but in a bigwoods setting with low numbers it can be like night and day for all age classes of deer.

Exactly. There are enough hunters that believe in the moon charts, there may very well be some advantage to use it. It certainly does not hurt one thing to use the moon chart.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:38 am

dan wrote:
ozzz wrote:I agree with what stan is saying though. The more factors you can put in your favor, the better off you will be.

I agree with him as well... He is not saying it does or doesn't work. However, he is repeating something I have said many times. It gives you a slight advantage outside the rut. Thats not to say the advantage won't be the difference in getting a buck or not, but, you still have to hunt smart.

For instance, you might have a certain bed to food pattern and you just can't get close enough to the bed to get inside the daytime movement window, so choosing a moon day for THAT spot might get you a movement 15 minutes earlier, thus getting that buck to move farther from his bed...

I can also add, I have seen huge differences in movement based on moon between large managed properties and pressured public.

I agree 100% there would be no reason not to set up on a buck on a good moon day. If you had a choice to hunt only one of a few days it absolutely would not hurt to chose the moon day.
ILbowhunter11

Unread postby ILbowhunter11 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:33 am

I'm new to the moon o/h and u/f principle. Can someone please explain in more detail about how to determine when exactly these times are? For example Dan's information indicates October 1 is one of these dates. I lIve in IL so I'm on Central time zone. I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance and the best of luck to all this season. Hunt SAFE!!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:54 am

The main theory has to do with animals (think deer or fish) feeding when the moon is overhead or underfoot, it seems to be a natural feeding pattern. When these feeding times line up with normal morning and evening deer movement times you can sometimes seem more deer movement. When hunting mature bucks in their bedrooms this can often mean earlier movement from a bucks bed and give us a little extra advantage to get a shot off before darkness falls. Think time and distance, if a buck is moving earlier you have more time to get an arrow in him and he might cover more distance from his bed to your stand location.
@rch9ry32

Unread postby @rch9ry32 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:20 am

First thing, I am new to this site and I'm amazed at the people and useful information on this site. Secondly, I need to help interpreting some of this info & had some questions, any help would be appreciated.

Question 1. It looks like the best times or the times & dates given are when the moon is near 50%. Why is this? In general, I always thought there is less activity during full moon days and more activity during new moon days? (b/c deer would be feeding and active when the sky is bright & full moon is out) Is that generally true? Also it seems that during 50% moon days activity starts later in the mornings and a little earlier in the evenings?

Question 2. Does this apply to doe movements as well? I have doe season in my area from Sept 6th thru the end of the month and wanted to test out this on doe movement as well?

Good luck to all during the upcoming season. Thanks
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:24 pm

Question 1. It looks like the best times or the times & dates given are when the moon is near 50%. Why is this? In general, I always thought there is less activity during full moon days and more activity during new moon days? (b/c deer would be feeding and active when the sky is bright & full moon is out) Is that generally true? Also it seems that during 50% moon days activity starts later in the mornings and a little earlier in the evenings?

I personally do not think moon brightness has a factor on movement or timing, however, the phase the moon when its over head or under foot does.

Question 2. Does this apply to doe movements as well? I have doe season in my area from Sept 6th thru the end of the month and wanted to test out this on doe movement as well?
yES
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:33 pm

ILbowhunter11 wrote:I'm new to the moon o/h and u/f principle. Can someone please explain in more detail about how to determine when exactly these times are? For example Dan's information indicates October 1 is one of these dates. I lIve in IL so I'm on Central time zone. I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance and the best of luck to all this season. Hunt SAFE!!

DETERMINE YOUR LONGITUDE. Then add 4 minutes to the times I posted for each degree you are west of your time zones central meridian. subtract 4 minutes for each degree East.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:40 pm

@rch9ry32 wrote:

I think it has to do with the gravitation pull, for whatever reason it gives the animals some kind of urge to get up and feed or move earlier than they might otherwise. I've been in bedding areas when the moon was overhead a little earlier 1.5 to 2 hours before last light and I have seen deer get up and feed for half an hour close to bedding and then lay back down.
DaHunter

Unread postby DaHunter » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:43 pm

If u had 2 weeks to take off, would u take last week of Oct and 2nd week of Nov? That's what I'm thinking, but I usually do something like Oct 26-Nov 8. I just hate missing Nov 3-8.

matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:11 pm

Let's keep this on page one

Stanley
Honorary Moderator

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:24 am

DaHunter wrote:If u had 2 weeks to take off, would u take last week of Oct and 2nd week of Nov? That's what I'm thinking, but I usually do something like Oct 26-Nov 8. I just hate missing Nov 3-8.

It depends on more than one determining factor. If you catch a cold front first week of November that would trump any and all moon phases. Warm weather first week of November could make things tougher. Crops being harvested makes a huge difference. If you can wait to take those days off until you have the weather forecast. That would be optimal.

Rain wet humid weather last week in October could make things tougher. Like I have mentioned just don't plan on hunting when the moon is right. Plan your hunting on the most favorable factors. Take into consideration all the factors that give you the best chance.
SonofUlam

Unread postby SonofUlam » Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:34 am

Could you explain what is meant by cruising times? I.e. why do some dates have specific times attached, and why dp some have one time and others two. Thanks! I'm new not only to this site, but hunting in general, so this is all super helpful!
[glow=green]1 Chronicles 8:40, "The sons of Ulam were brave warriors who could handle the bow..."[/glow]

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”