Scouting during season or late mourning

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Super goat

Scouting during season or late mourning

Unread postby Super goat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:21 am

So I have been reading through the all time best tactical threads. Wow my brain is on over load. What a wealth of knowledge. I was reading the first time sits. I saw over and over scouting while hunting or scouting late mournings. My question is how do you keep the element of surprise doing this? Dose this take the surprise out of good spots along the way you might want to hit at a later day?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Scouting during season or late mourning

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:12 am

Super goat wrote:So I have been reading through the all time best tactical threads. Wow my brain is on over load. What a wealth of knowledge. I was reading the first time sits. I saw over and over scouting while hunting or scouting late mournings. My question is how do you keep the element of surprise doing this? Dose this take the surprise out of good spots along the way you might want to hit at a later day?

When scouting while hunting you are looking at sign coming out of either known bedding, or guessed bedding and setting up and hunting it same day before the buck comes thru and smells you were there.
If you do bump a good buck, its also a good idea to set up and hunt. I have had several times when the buck comes back to his bedding area after he thinks you have passed by... Also, a lot of the time they come back the next morning, we call that "bump and dump"
Dewey

Re: Scouting during season or late mourning

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:01 am

When traveling and hunting away from home I do a lot of late morning/early afternoon scouting in areas I am not real familiar with. I like to maximize my time in the woods instead of sitting around camp mid-day doing nothing. When I do this I make sure I have my stand on back and my bow so I am ready to set up on hot sign right away even if it means a long sit till dark. Once you back out and come back later in the day I believe your odds drop quite a bit. Only go in as far as you plan to set up to avoid leaving ground scent or your hunt will be over before it starts.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”