Hill country stand approach

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cdeam

Hill country stand approach

Unread postby cdeam » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:08 am

Beds in hill country on points.

Access from ridge top.
Do you hunt the top side just off wind or at the head of the cut to the off wind side of the point?

Access from below.
Do you stay low or try to work to a point above and off wind as in the first example?

For both examples the deer's food source is an unknown because it is available in both directions. Scouting failed to reveal the bucks exit route.

Thoughts? Comments? One of Dan's awesome drawings?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

rizzo999
500 Club

Re: Hill country stand approach

Unread postby rizzo999 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:39 am

To me it seems like it would help to see the rest of the picture or map. Can you post a topo pic? That might help a little more. Also, access will most likely be different based on what time of the day you are entering. Do you expect the buck to be in his bed or are you trying to intercept him in the AM as he makes his way to his bed. Great questions cdeam!
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:55 am

Good question, I was about to ask about the same. In hill country I am having a hard time figuring their feeding habits. Most of mine can go in any direction to feed.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:13 am

I didn't post a map because the question applies to all the beds I've scouted. Big woods, hill country. Narrow ridges (oaks) and narrow valleys (water) below for the most part. Morning and evening hunts.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:39 am

To me hill country is the trickiest to hunt concerning the wind. If you have a bed located that is being used that is good. If you know the food source the buck is headed to that is also very good. If you don't know the food source or the direction the buck will go leaving the bed, you have to set up according to the wind and thermals.

What I'm saying is, if you don't know you have to set up based on your advantage wind wise. If the thermals are rising you come in from the top. If the thermals are falling you come in from the bottom. The wind dictates how you the hunter sets up on the buck. Even if you have the buck patterned from bed to food there is no guarantee he will go as you want him to.

Also there will be many times hunting a bed is not successful. Even Dan the best there is, doesn't kill a buck on every hunt. So, you set up the best you can with things in your favor and hope the buck moves in your direction.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:52 am

Im at work right now, so you will have to get by for now without one of my awesome drawings. :lol:

Access from ridge top.
Do you hunt the top side just off wind or at the head of the cut to the off wind side of the point?
I love hunting at the heads of draws because it funnels wind and movement. You need to be on the just off wind side... However, some points are just to long and bucks would get to the draw after dark, then you have to hunt the off wind side farther down. AND some have the main exit trail going up the middle of the popint, then you hunt the just off wind side of the trail...

Access from below.
Do you stay low or try to work to a point above and off wind as in the first example?

Thermals and wind swirls are brutal from below. You have to hunt far enough away that your not in the thermal effect zone, or you have to have a pre-set stand you race into right after thermal switch.

For both examples the deer's food source is an unknown because it is available in both directions. Scouting failed to reveal the bucks exit route.
I would look for fresh buck sign at the food source and assume the buck is heading towards the food with the most activity 1st... If that don't work, hunt the other side.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:06 pm

Thanks guys. That's what I was looking for

HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:25 pm

Great ?s. I have been thinking of the same. In the evenings I am planning on coming from the top and erring on the safest side of the ridge with the wind whichever that may be. Theres not really any perfect winds but lots of "nearly doable" ones. I have never bed hunted, and Im really "suspected bed " hunting anyways as I only found a few beds in the winter/summer. Im going to get close enough to see him and hope but not close enough to push him out.

ccy333

Unread postby ccy333 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:29 am

cdeam wrote:I didn't post a map because the question applies to all the beds I've scouted. Big woods, hill country. Narrow ridges (oaks) and narrow valleys (water) below for the most part. Morning and evening hunts.

Man... That sounds familiar. If you dont mind, where do you hunt? I am in NE Oklahoma in the foothills of ozarks.
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:58 am

HoosierG5 wrote:Great ?s. I have been thinking of the same. In the evenings I am planning on coming from the top and erring on the safest side of the ridge with the wind whichever that may be. Theres not really any perfect winds but lots of "nearly doable" ones. I have never bed hunted, and Im really "suspected bed " hunting anyways as I only found a few beds in the winter/summer. Im going to get close enough to see him and hope but not close enough to push him out.

That's how I'm seeing it also. I've got some scouted beds and some guesses. Your 'nearly doable' winds comment is perfect because I think that's all there is, otherwise they wouldn't be there.

For hunts where there is time, scout for sign and keep moving from bed to bed until you find it. If you don't have enough time, hunt your best guess and hope for the best.

This is how I see it from dans comment. I think the topography for each bedding point must determine if you need to be on the point, at the top of the cut, on a side hill, whatever. The top of the cut looks like it's going to let you play the wind easier.

cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:02 am

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image[/quote]

Man... That sounds familiar. If you dont mind, where do you hunt? I am in NE Oklahoma in the foothills of ozarks.[/quote]

Southern Indiana

yungbuck
500 Club

Unread postby yungbuck » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:49 am

I've been noticing Dan mark cuts and this explanation really helps some of my routes and sets this year since I am slowly locating beds in hilly country...Awesome thread

[ Post made via Android ] Image
nothing but a simple minded god fearing public land bow hunter
Mibowhunter91

Unread postby Mibowhunter91 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:54 pm

Great questions!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”