Not checking a trail camera for a year

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Muy Grande
Location: Alabama; chase whitetails in Tennessee and Kentucky

Re: Not checking a trail camera for a year

Unread postby Muy Grande » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:38 pm

Great information!

phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:06 am

Bigb wrote:
chasemukluk wrote:So you said you were going to hunt that spot with a NW wind. Is there a way you can get on the other side of that trail? It looks like your scent is going to blow right over where they will be walking. Also, you have to walk over the trail.

If you could get to the east side of the trail, you could probably get away with sitting there every W or NW wind during the rut. It looks like easy access from the east. What about 30 or 40 yards north or south of your funnel?

Awesome spot either way!

I agree Chase, that would ideal. The problem with this area is that up until about 20 years ago it was all cattle pastures in this general area. I wish there were more trees but its mainly cedars and CRP with a max height of about 20 feet. There are very few trees to hang stands in this side of the trail. Here is the issue I am seeing. While a lot of deer are using this trail, I think they are also circling the bedding area from up hight and trying to wind does bedded. So even if they don't cross the trail where my camera is, I think they are right above the camera as well. I have a couple dozen pictures of deer looking up the hill from the path. If you look at the top picture of my original post you see the think CRP grass. I think they use that a lot without ever evening using the crossing. I want to make sure to have a shot in that.

My scent will be blowing across them with a NW wind, but I will be about 30 or so fee above them so I hopefully will have thermals working with me in the morning/afternoon. I have a feeling it is going to be trail and error!

There is not rule that you can't place another cam facing up the hill if oyu suspect that. I'd recommend it actually - your hunch seems logical and while a big investment, you may see exactly what you need - the buck moving a few minutes before circling and then seem him swing around and through your funnel.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
Kodiakman
Forum Executive Chef

Unread postby Kodiakman » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:24 am

I love projects like this. Well done sir.
It's not a problem, it's a opportunity for a solution.
Beartown18
500 Club

Unread postby Beartown18 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:29 am

I really want to try this on one of my spots this year
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:21 pm

Phade, I'd actually like to get another camera to do that. Probably need to wait until next year though, Looking into a Muzzleloader/scope and a new slug gun/scope so I do don't want to break the bank. I'll probably pick up a few Black flash cameras next year but well have to see. I think this year it will be a couple long sits at this spot and see what comes of it.
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:44 am

Bumping up an old post to see if you hunted that spot this year and any success was had due to your year-long experiment. I don't run cameras, but really considering putting out a cam of two for future years similar to this.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:13 am

I'm very interested also.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Tue Jun 30, 2015 5:29 am

BigB, If 3 people ask, you are contractually obligated to respond (It's in the small print). I'm looking forward to hearing about if you sat the spot and if what else your camera showed.
http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
Missionshooter
500 Club

Unread postby Missionshooter » Tue Jun 30, 2015 6:36 am

Interested as well. Those trailcam pics were really cool.
STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
BHC

Unread postby BHC » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:12 am

Good idea. I would recommend trying to figure out why the NW wind was preferred there. Don't just except that it was. You may need more than just that one piece to be successful.
I may try this this season. I am in pharmacy school and don't get to hunt like I used to. I may hang them late sept, and leave them until the end of season... I will likely still hunt where I want/when.. But it will be interesting.. I think I'd place them in saddles connecting bedding with food. Some have mud holes, also logging rds, high cuts especially where a scrape may be. But I'll keep them close to bedding with in a couple hundred yrds. I've only got 4 cameras that will last several months with out dying.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:59 pm

How did this spot treat you this year? Hopefully well...
Ryan
500 Club

Unread postby Ryan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:46 pm

When you set your camera up for this timeframe, what settings do you like to have it on to conserve the battery, i know mine says I can take so many photos/minute or videos or what not, just curious what your set up is, awesome idea and photos
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:54 pm

Sorry about this guys, I don't know how I missed this in Late June, I usually check on here once a day. Must have been a busy week.

I actually had the same experience again this year with the same spot and did a new thread for it. Check it out below, I had a lot of pictures on this one and a bit ore description.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29746

Let me know what you think!
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:07 pm

BHC, the reason (I believe) they use this spot is because on a northwest or west wind they are actually downwind of a doe bedding area and this is an old tractor trail that runs over a steep drainage. Plus, its a ridge that overlooks a big ag field as well as a creek. My toughest part is access since coming down from above isn't an option because its thick and I would blow a lot of deer out of the bedding area plus leave scent everywhere. I have to access it from below but I would have to walk about 1/2 mile of creek in and all the deer bed above that creek. I can come directly across the ag field and up to it (which I have done before) Deer in the ag field would see me and deer within a 100 or so yard of the stand but that would be it. Cruising bucks would be none the wiser.

If anyone has any interest I can post the pics of entry and see what you guys think would be the least intrusive.

Ryan, in most cases I use Bushnell Trophy cams but I hear coverts work great as well. I think the main thing is to use high capacity SD cards (sandisk for me, usually 16GB) and use lithium batteries. I have had Lithiums in this particular camera for the past two years, June to March, and they still are at 60%. This year I bought another 40 Lithiums and throwing them in some of my other cameras rather than just replace batteries all year long. I've found that when the temps get real low (10 or below) lithiums work much better.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:22 pm

If anyone has any interest I can post the pics of entry and see what you guys think would be the least intrusive.

Interested forsure. one of the best trail camera threads in my opinion

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”