When do bachelor groups break up?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dreaming bucks

When do bachelor groups break up?

Unread postby dreaming bucks » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:23 pm

Is it immediately once they shed the velvet, or before? Has anyone seen big bucks still together after they turn hard horned?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

GRFox
500 Club

Re: When do bachelor groups break up?

Unread postby GRFox » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:34 pm

I know a guy who shot a mature buck during the second week of September in the morning while feeding with two 2 year olds who were still in velvet.

Normally the bachelor groups break up late August to the first week of September, just before the velvet comes off In my experience in Southern NY.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:41 pm

Rising testosterone just before velvet comes off usually splits them up. Seems like the younger ones still stick together for awhile after this until they figure out what to do.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:50 pm

I shot a 4 year old two years ago on October 20th and he was bedding with another buck I would say 3 year old. From the looks of most of my trail camera pictures and what I see hole on stand most break up by late September

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:01 am

I rarely see buck groups break up right after velvet shedding .... generally. The younger guys hang together longer but the older 3-4 yo I've seen will gradually drift apart, most of the time. I've always thought it depended on the aggressiveness of the buck itself. I've seen bucks stay together in mid - late October but it was always an older one with 1-2 young bucks. Rarely do I see bucks together in November, unless there's a hot doe around, and then I think they are there because of the doe, not the other bucks company.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:47 am

I've seen bachelor groups into early Oct on more than one occasion, not sure if they stuck together like that the whole time or if they just happened to be hanging out on that particular night.
Super goat

Unread postby Super goat » Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:54 am

I have trail cam pics of a group of 4 traveling together in October. These bucks were 3 plus in age. I have also observed bucks doing this in late October early November on a few occasions. I think I has a lot to do with the personalities of the deer. Some are lovers and some are fighters. The lovers will tala rate other bucks some will run any other buck off they see.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”