Classic overlooked hill country bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Drose

Re: Classic overlooked hill country bucks

Unread postby Drose » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:56 pm

These two spots were two spots that were overlooked by me. The top red dot was a buck bed and 30yds above it on the atv trail is where we park. It was in a perfect scenario. The bed was in a classic military crest style position. The buck bed was in a bowl shape formation in the bank. Has a rub right beside the bed and two trails one going east and one going west with rublines following each path. Basically this deer was bedding under our nose! The bed has been used for several years by the look of the rublines. The bottom red dot was found by tracking a deer my brother in law shot. Its grew up alot more now than in the photo. We busted brush for a good bit. So thick u couldnt walk. Then hit a slight seem in the thick foliage and there was a massive rubline that took us all the way to his bed in which he was beddimg where a log was runnin right in against a stump. Also with trails runnin east and west. Within 75 yds of each bed the rubs decreased... Drastically! The blue dots represent well known doe bedding. I found circular patterns as dan describes in his videos. I live and hunt in southeast kentucky but everything dan mentions has pretty much been spot on to these hill country bucks around me. I plan on goin full beast mode on these new found gems this year. Ive not been a part of this site long but everything matches up perfectly. I just never had sense enough to pull some beast mode tactics.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Unread postby cbigbear » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:05 am

Drose wrote:Image

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Great example. This is what I find around here more bedding on the secondary points vs the main pts. I think it's a pressure issue, more hunters get on a ridge & follow it all the way to the end to setup. The bucks are just pulling back off the main pts & letting everyone walk right by them.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:37 am

Not sure if this would be considered classic, but it seemed overlooked based on the way others were using this piece of public.
Good buck sign and a few beds were there. My setup is pretty close but look forward to giving it a try.

Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:31 am

If pressure and access is from the top down in hill country (some places this is common others its not) I see a lot of bucks end up bedding low, often on low benches and points 2/3 or more down hills. Very challenging figuring out a huntable wind in these conditions.
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:07 am

Dan and others, what do you do when a public area has nearly all these components? I know, Get the boots on the ground...but where do you start? Do bucks have a have a prefered bedding habitat in your opinion? I am scouting an area now that has everthing you would look for, inside corners of rivers, marshes, wooded points, points overlooking accesses, cedar thickets, overgrown fields, hard to access parcels....and I am not sure where to focus my efforts.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:19 am

msailor wrote:Dan and others, what do you do when a public area has nearly all these components? I know, Get the boots on the ground...but where do you start? Do bucks have a have a prefered bedding habitat in your opinion? I am scouting an area now that has everthing you would look for, inside corners of rivers, marshes, wooded points, points overlooking accesses, cedar thickets, overgrown fields, hard to access parcels....and I am not sure where to focus my efforts.

I would start with hard to access.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:02 am

msailor wrote:Dan and others, what do you do when a public area has nearly all these components? I know, Get the boots on the ground...but where do you start? Do bucks have a have a preferred bedding habitat in your opinion? I am scouting an area now that has everything you would look for, inside corners of rivers, marshes, wooded points, points overlooking accesses, cedar thickets, overgrown fields, hard to access parcels....and I am not sure where to focus my efforts.

The 1st thing I do is think about where all the hunting pressure is and look for the area that gets the least amount of human presence. Then within that area I look for preferred bedding habitat.
Bigb
500 Club

Unread postby Bigb » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:16 pm

Surprised no one has said near roads that might have a feature (swamp, ditch) that prevents people from walking right there.

Dan mentioned spots like this last year. Convinced me to put a camera at a pinch point not 50 yards off the road that no one ever hunted. The first chip pull last year at this spot was jaw dropping with how many bucks were using that spot. Everyone looks to go deer and forgets that sometime the deer are right there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”