Keeping your mouth shut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Terry
500 Club

Re: Keeping your mouth shut

Unread postby Terry » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:54 am

I have learned to keep my mouth shut after being burned too many times. A couple of times even by my own family. It has nothing to do with the fear of someone else shooting "my deer" as the above poster states, it is about people ruining what I have worked for. Most guys are not as considerate or respectful in the deer woods as I am, so the last thing I want to do is give anyone like that a reason to target the area I hunt.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:06 pm

Crazinamatese wrote:Getting mad at someone over a deer or any animal is ridiculous. That is suggesting that you believe you have some sort of ownership over a free range animal. You can do "all the work" you want, the deer still doesn't belong to you. If you tell someone about a big deer, and they kill it, let it go. This is the crap that is ruining the hunting culture.

It's not about killing deer it's about showing respect for the hard work of a fellow hunter. If somebody moves in and steals spots you worked hard to find that is not a true friend in my book. If somebody would at least ask if it's alright I would really respect that approach and even help the person out. Have done that many times and was very happy when they killed a deer.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
jessejames

Unread postby jessejames » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:22 pm

I know a spot on some public land that a friend and his brother in law hunt that has produced several bucks in the last few years all 140 plus including a 170. I sat it once after I was tagged out just to be out with him and seen a dandy. I would never even think of hunting it. He did the work found the spot so it's his as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who don't feel the same isn't a friend anyway.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:29 pm

Dewey wrote:
Crazinamatese wrote:Getting mad at someone over a deer or any animal is ridiculous. That is suggesting that you believe you have some sort of ownership over a free range animal. You can do "all the work" you want, the deer still doesn't belong to you. If you tell someone about a big deer, and they kill it, let it go. This is the crap that is ruining the hunting culture.

It's not about killing deer it's about showing respect for the hard work of a fellow hunter. If somebody moves in and steals spots you worked hard to find that is not a true friend in my book. If somebody would at least ask if it's alright I would really respect that approach and even help the person out. Have done that many times and was very happy when they killed a deer.

I agree with Dewey, it also can be a violation of trust which is ultimately the major thing that bonds 2 people together, whether as friends, relatives or whatever. When anyone violates my trust, they are out of my circle. I only tell my brother close details about my hunting spots. I would only ever tell someone else about good bucks if I would be just as happy for them to get one as I would be be me getting one and I didn't expect any deference.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:39 pm

What Buck?
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Super goat

Unread postby Super goat » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:46 pm

Lessen learned I guess. Big deer make people crazy.

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:34 am

I hate it when people ask where did you kill him. I do not like to lie, so it causes some anxiety with me. I normally just ignore the question. When a land owner asks, whose property I'm hunting asks, that is a tough one. I do tell some trusted friends but I will not tell just a casual asker. If you ask me on line I'll just say "not willing to divulge that information". No reason to lie, just tell them it's none of their business.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:07 am

It gets real easy to zip it after you pay the price a time or two.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
phade
500 Club

Unread postby phade » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:41 am

I have a very small circle of people I will hunt with. Two of whom I trust fully and who are equally as passionate as I am. Because of this, I am an open book with them and vice versa. The shared intel works well, but we are also aware that it takes the right combo of people to be able to do that.

I can say I am equally as happy as when they take their buck or a doe as I am when I let loose an arrow or bullet. They work just as hard at it and we are all in the trench together doing the hard labor in the off-season. I'm thankful to be in such a lucky situation as that.

There are people I know who I could see myself hunting with, but choose not too, because I would never be able to get to that level of trust, and quite frankly, I'd rather hunt solo than have also-rans as a hunting partners.
http://www.pursuitoutdoors.com
Trail Camera Sales, Industry Updates, and Cam Troubleshooting - PM for HB pricing
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:15 am

The worst person to let see your big buck is the land owner. Often they brag about the buck coming off there land, and all the sudden there is a cousin, or a good friend that hunts, and you get the boot.
bones09

Unread postby bones09 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:28 am

Dan is correct about never showing a landowner, sad as it seems. I live in western WI were hunting on a handshake pretty much died a decade ago and if word gets out too far nobody's lease is safe cause there's always somebody with more cash.. I hate it.

I'm very lucky to have a few very small private pieces(20acres or less) that i can hunt(on a handshake) and some public.. When i shoot a buck only my brothers will know where it was shot. Sad but true
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:19 am

I keep to myself then I donthave to sorry about this sort of thing. I like going it alone

[ Post made via Android ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:37 am

I hunt alone most of the time... I used to have hunting buddies but they all quit or moved or got married.. ill take a youth out with me when I can but usually im by myself... n everyone at work thinks the state game areas suck so I dont worry about them ...

Justin85

Unread postby Justin85 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:46 am

dan wrote:The worst person to let see your big buck is the land owner. Often they brag about the buck coming off there land, and all the sudden there is a cousin, or a good friend that hunts, and you get the boot.

I'm a victim. Sadly asked the landowner to use his tractor to haul one out. Next year his son was extremely interested and I got the boot.

vanceg

Unread postby vanceg » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:35 am

Sounds miserable having to be so secretive. I think it would probably take a lot of the fun out of it for me.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”