Hunting alone - tips? advice? precautions?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

HuntThis

Hunting alone - tips? advice? precautions?

Unread postby HuntThis » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:38 am

I'm hunting alone for the first time this year. Well, let me clarify...in the past I hunted my private land. Literally 100 yards from my house. So while I was in the woods alone, I was literally within shouting distance of my house...family would check on me, find me, etc.

Anyway...this year will be different. 30 minutes from home (closest location I've chosen, sometimes much further).

Safety - I have "Find my Friends" setup on my iPhone so my wife will be able to see where I am as long as the phone battery lasts and have a signal. This would be very helpful in the even of an emergency. The initial property that I scouted has a decent cel signal.
- I will use a life line on my stand
- I'm leaving a list of the lat/long of the primary places I will look to hang a stand

What equipment would you suggest bringing when you go solo versus with a buddy? I may be over analyzing this, but I'm thinking this through all the way down to the small details. Could I even lift a large buck into the truck by myself? How hard will it really be to drag a deer out of the woods? (Always had help and an ATV in the past)

What gear do you bring to the stand with you? What do you bring, but leave in the truck?

I have a pulley that I am going to bring that could be used to lift the deer when field dressing, but also used to lift a deer into the bed of the truck if for any reason I can't on my own.

Any other suggestions?

My biggest concern is dragging out a deer. I may be 1-2 miles from the truck and will NOT have an ATV to help.

dehart89
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/chad.dehart.89

Re: Hunting alone - tips? advice? precautions?

Unread postby dehart89 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:16 am

it sounds like you have a good setup going. That's one thing my wife worries about too. If you do more locations, just let her know. you could bring food and water, extra battery for the phone, pee bottles. It all just depends on how long you sit. A sled or cart to drag the deer out wouldn't hurt. I guess even showing your wife the land that you're going to hunt.

I'm in the same boat as you. I hunt private (in-laws), but more than a couple hundred yards away. I'm going to try some public land this year though.

Good luck with it all.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together" ~ Fred Bear

"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ~ Kirby Puckett
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:44 am

The most dangerous thing you will be doing is: 1. Driving (wear seat belt). 2. Climbing (wear harness and linemans belt). 3. Dragging deer (get help to drag if possible, otherwise just grunt it out).

Texting your wife the coordinates of where you are hunting is a good idea in case of a fall. Bring a compass and mark the direction of entrance and exit so if your GPS fails you can take a bearing and go. Take your time and have fun..........you have very little to worry about :mrgreen:
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:25 am

I hunt and scout in remote areas alone. Possibly some of the most remote locations in the state. I have a good friend who is at least somewhat familiar with those areas. My wife has his phone number and she gets an aerial pic of my spot once I'm set. She also has phone numbers for coworkers trained in search and rescue who have contacts in task force and public safety. Barring those contacts, my suggestion would be to provide someone with as much info as possible so that if they don't hear from you by a certain time they can start to think about calling out the cavalry.

I use a sled to drag. In hill country, a pack able 3:1 helps get em out of the draws and hollers. There's a recovery bag I take which contains the rope system and everything I need for field dressing either at camp or in my jeep. I would be more than happy to give you more details on any of this if you are interested or have questions

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Gibby
500 Club

Unread postby Gibby » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:35 am

Antler Insanity is a great App for IPhones, it allows you to send text messages with the exact coordinates of your location (send text at base of tree you have selected before climbing) you can also take a screen shot of your stand location on a satellite image for better reference and send that to the wife or buddy as well in the event of an emergency.
I also like to send a text to someone I know (wife or buddy) once I get set up in the tree to let them know I got in ok and another once I am back on the ground ok. (since that is likely the most dangerous part of the hunt) so be sure to use your safety equipment while hunting especially a lineman's belt and harness.

As far as getting your deer out, a cart or sled is a great idea if you have to go it alone, take plenty of breaks if you need to, don't over exert yourself, or being only 30 minutes away you could always get help and return later to retrieve the animal.

Another tip would be to use some type of light while walking to and from your hunting location in the dark, I've had more than a few run ins with other people that would shoot outside of legal shooting times at noises or shapes so its important to identify yourself as a person for those individuals because you never know who else is out there, and it makes seeing where your walking easier too.

Flagging tape and a compass if your not that familiar with the property, its easy to get turned around in the dark especially if your concentrating on something else like tracking an animal

Good luck :D
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:59 am

Gps, 2 extra sets of batteries, compass, flashlight, backup light preferably takes same kind of batteries as the gps. Something to start a fire with, if you get lost, you will be glad you had it. I like to take at least one bottle of water. Sidearm (check local laws). As others have stated, text someone your gps coordinates before you climb and text when you're in the tree and back on solid ground. Take your time in the dark, unfamiliar woods can look a lot different in the dark. I like to know the general direction to the nearest road, so in a worse case scenario I can head that way via compass.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:08 am

I'm hunting alone for the first time this year. Well, let me clarify...in the past I hunted my private land. Literally 100 yards from my house. So while I was in the woods alone, I was literally within shouting distance of my house...family would check on me, find me, etc.

Having your phone with you and a compass (and of coarse knowing how to use the compass) is probably all you can do. If you get hurt to the point you can't call, and can't follow the compass out, your probably dead.
What precautions do you take when you drive to work? What if you drive off the road and no body sees you go off and your trapped in your car and can't be seen from the road? Text your wife if you want every so often with your location, but really. Safety is up to you in the woods and its safer out there then hanging in town now-a-days.

What equipment would you suggest bringing when you go solo versus with a buddy? I may be over analyzing this, but I'm thinking this through all the way down to the small details.

I bring a bow, a stand, climbing sticks, a pocket knife, and a compass

Could I even lift a large buck into the truck by myself? How hard will it really be to drag a deer out of the woods? (Always had help and an ATV in the past)
I usually travel back and get a friend I can trust to help me drag. On solo road trips I bring a large plastic sled that is in my truck till after the kill.

I have a pulley that I am going to bring that could be used to lift the deer when field dressing, but also used to lift a deer into the bed of the truck if for any reason I can't on my own.
You should be able to field dress on the ground, the sled will help you get the buck into the truck. I have no problem doing it myself when the buck is tied into a sled.

My biggest concern is dragging out a deer. I may be 1-2 miles from the truck and will NOT have an ATV to help.
Again, use a sled, if you do a search you will find some detailed posts about using sleds and which brands on this site. As far as distance... I have solo dragged big bucks out over 2 miles. Yea, its a pain, and I smile all the way to the truck. You just go till your tired and take a break, then repeat. Who cares how long it takes, you got your buck.
Philski

Unread postby Philski » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:07 pm

What do pee bottles have to do with hunting alone? I keep it simple by asking God for help and hit the hills. Life's complicated enough. I hunt to relax. Adding Gps coordinates to cell phones w/ apps to locate me ain't my cup a tea. Never in my hunting life have I reported my coordinates to someone. I focus on the hunt and how to get deer out of the woods. Really don't fear what might happen. Plan your hunt paying attention to detail-go slow-enjoy yourself! Much safer goin huntin than goin to a Tiger baseball game.

HuntThis

Unread postby HuntThis » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:58 pm

Thanks for all the feedback!

cdeam wrote:I use a sled to drag. In hill country, a pack able 3:1 helps get em out of the draws and hollers. There's a recovery bag I take which contains the rope system and everything I need for field dressing either at camp or in my jeep. I would be more than happy to give you more details on any of this if you are interested or have questions

Not familiar with the pack able...could you tell me more about this?

Your "recovery bag"...do you take it to the stand with you, or go back for it when/if you get a deer?
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:03 pm

Cdeam and I leave "recovery gear" behind until we are successful. I also leave my "hunting gear" at the truck when I'm lucky and grab my "recovery gear". Now don't go all ultralight by leaving basic gear behind, a sharp knife is a given. Spare water seems unnecessary till it is needed. A plastic trash bag is multipurpose and barely any weight or space. I tell my wife a specific location but not coordinates.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
HoosierG5
500 Club

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:12 pm

Safety harness is my first priority. No deer is worth a serious injury or death. I love my wife and kids too much for that. After that, the essentials-Lw stand/sticks/weapon. I do text my wife and a good buddy where Im headed nearly every hunt.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:16 pm

I text exact gps coordinates to my wife before I climb the tree. Before I leave the house I tell her the general area I will be in case something happens before I get to the tree.

Antler Insanity app is perfect for texting coordinates and very quick and easy to use.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 3:49 pm

I almost always hunt remote areas alone. I will admit I am foolish at times. I do have one person who can find me thru my cell phone. I am always prepared to spend the night (2 methods of making fire). I do check in each day. I'm single and my kids are grown so if my number is called I can't think of a better place to be when I go.
If I dont call Hodag he will mobilize a search party that makes a military invasion look small. LOL
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:51 pm

HuntThis wrote:Thanks for all the feedback!

cdeam wrote:I use a sled to drag. In hill country, a pack able 3:1 helps get em out of the draws and hollers. There's a recovery bag I take which contains the rope system and everything I need for field dressing either at camp or in my jeep. I would be more than happy to give you more details on any of this if you are interested or have questions

Not familiar with the pack able...could you tell me more about this?

Your "recovery bag"...do you take it to the stand with you, or go back for it when/if you get a deer?

Oops. I meant packable. It's just a small 3:1 I rigged for getting deer outta some of the deeper cuts if I need them back on the ridge top.

The recovery bag has a towel, two bottles of water, but out, knife sharpener and spare knife, a dozen zip ties, some cordage, small hacksaw, and maybe some other goodies. Dans right though and I rarely use all that stuff, but I have what I need to quarter the animal if necessary that way.

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:50 am

Dewey wrote:I text exact gps coordinates to my wife before I climb the tree. Before I leave the house I tell her the general area I will be in case something happens before I get to the tree.

Antler Insanity app is perfect for texting coordinates and very quick and easy to use.

X2

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”