Bed hunting after the rut

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thermals
500 Club

Bed hunting after the rut

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Do you guys go back to hunting the beds after the rut into the late season, if so is it more of a challenge now that all the leaves are gone.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Re: Bed hunting after the rut

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:12 pm

I do go back to bed hunting after the rut. These bucks are on a strict bed to feed pattern after the rut. The lack of foliage does come into play more so in the late season so you won't be able to move in as close to the bed in most cases as say early season but catch a cold front during the late season near a buck bed and you are in business IMHO

[ Post made via Android ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Late season can be easier than early season because lack of foliage really limits bedding areas. Its really easy without leaves to take a look around and see where the bucks are bedding... Snow on the ground and you can follow buck tracks back to bedding and when they start to enter thick presumed bedding set up... Yea they can see you easier too... Bitter cold days will get them moving early in the North.
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:31 am

dan wrote:Late season can be easier than early season because lack of foliage really limits bedding areas. Its really easy without leaves to take a look around and see where the bucks are bedding... Snow on the ground and you can follow buck tracks back to bedding and when they start to enter thick presumed bedding set up... Yea they can see you easier too... Bitter cold days will get them moving early in the North.

What Dan said! Sure there are less of them, they can see you easier and are often super nervous after being chased around for a couple months but there is a bunch of stuff that makes pinpointing bucks much easier. In my experience bucks are at their most consistent late season more than any other time of the year.

You see guys on TV whacking big bucks off of food plots, well in pressured areas its still all about the bedding. I like to pinpoint big food plots the DNR puts in on land around here (or any other major food source anywhere). I don't hunt the food itself because its ringed with late season hunters and the biggest bucks will not show themselves there in daylight when there is pressure, instead I look for the thickest most protected bedding within half a mile of there I can get access to and hunt it and have killed a lot of big bucks that way - although generally I am hunting with a muzzleloader that time of year so that makes it easier I admit :D. My point is its still all about the bedding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”