Good deer numbers but no scrapes

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Drose

Good deer numbers but no scrapes

Unread postby Drose » Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:22 pm

I live in the hills/mtns of southeast ky. Ive noticed over the many years ive hunted different properties that some areas have alot of rubs but very very few scrapes. What would be the cause of so few scrapes? Buck numbers low? Also what hill country feature are you more likely to find the majority of scrapes?

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Good deer numbers but no scrapes

Unread postby dan » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Welcome to the BEAST 8-)
I am not positive what would cause this. But have seen areas like you speak of... My immediate though is who cares... I would not concentrate my hunting over scrapes anyway, so other than eye candy or a place to throw a camera I don't see why it matters.
62kodiak
500 Club

Unread postby 62kodiak » Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:53 pm

That makes sense. My experience has been that if you find scrapes, usually you just have to do a quick 360 to locate another hunters stand. For some reason people love hunting directly over them.
It's not the knowing that's difficult, but the doing.
Drose

Unread postby Drose » Fri Aug 15, 2014 2:05 am

Ive never based my hunting on scrapes. However i was extra curious as to why some areas had much more scrape activity and others didnt when i know very good and well the deer numbers are similar. I often wondered about the fresh dirt scent of a scrape. A coyote or fox will instantly check out anything with a fresh dirt scent and it triggers a natural instict to do so. When they mark there territory they will always scratch up dirt afterwards. Also a bull with a herd of cows will tear up massive amounts of fresh dirt and rub it all over its head to show dominence when another bull is across a fence. I wonder if lack of scrapes are a sign of bucks having to be not as apt to show dominence in low mature buck populations. I may be totally off but thats just a few of my observations over the years... Also in very glad to be a part of such a great website. So much awesome information!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”