Water Hole Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TNRiverRat

Water Hole Hunting

Unread postby TNRiverRat » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:44 am

After watching the Hill Country DVD, it has me checking out several areas that I have known about but overlooked. For example, the blue circle is a natural (or extremely old) pond sitting on the top of the ridge. This is the most secluded water source on the farm, on top of a North South for the most part running ridge, with a bottom to the West and a 150 acre clear cut to the East. The two red circles are suspect mature buck bedding locations, with the prevailing winds for that bed in green, and the thermals in yellow. The farm is not hurting with a lack of water. The farm is border by two large creeks on the North and South edge of the farm. As well as 3-4 other ponds (out in the open fields) and smaller streams. But keep in mind this is a 1000+ acre farm.
My first question is, would the water hole be worth hunting even with the abundance of water sources on the farm?
Secondly, if it is worth hunting, what time of year? Rut? Hot day?
Third question, what would your entrance route be? With a North Wind the buck should be bedded just down wind of the water hole on a south facing point of the leeward side of the ridge. This bed would be about 15 feet below the water hole in elevation and about 100 yards away. I would have to come in from somewhere off of the road to the North.

Looking for any and all opinions. Thanks

HoosierG5
500 Club

Re: Water Hole Hunting

Unread postby HoosierG5 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:58 am

In my opinion, any water source is worth hunting if it's getting hit daily. The biggest buck I've ever killed I shot out of a waterhole that was no bigger than the hood of your car. If you look at it you would not have thought there would've been water in it. It was simply wet mud most of the time. I would put a trail camera on it and see what's hitting it. You may be surprised!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:59 am

would the water hole be worth hunting even with the abundance of water sources on the farm?

I get asked that question a lot... People look at me a little weird sometimes when I reccomend water holes and say "there is a river 400 yards that way" or something along those lines.
When you get up in the morning thirsty do you walk past the fridge and head straight for the quicky mart? Of coarse bucks are going to take advantage of water close to bedding... It really don't matter a lot if there are other water sources around if this one is secluded and is where they want to go. Putting a water hole at a staging area is something I recommend a lot, you already have one there...

if it is worth hunting, what time of year? Rut? Hot day?
You certainly want to avoid over hunting. And don't put a camera over it and check the camera once every two weeks, thats the same pressure as hunting. If I put a camera on it, it would be the email type. I would expect this to be a great spot early season on a hot day, and during the rut, but bucks do hit water holes all year, just be careful about how much you do.

what would your entrance route be?
I would hunt it either on a straight North, or straight south wind. With those winds you could come in from North, south, or east, as long as the last 100 yard approach was in line with the pond coming from the East.
TNRiverRat

Unread postby TNRiverRat » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:38 pm

I would hunt it either on a straight North, or straight south wind. With those winds you could come in from North, south, or east, as long as the last 100 yard approach was in line with the pond coming from the East.[/quote]
Dan
Thanks for taking a look at my post. Is this the route you would take? Would you hunt the East side of the pond, maybe the NE corner? The pond is probably about a 15 ft circle. The West bank drops off to a steep ravine. Will lose a little blood walking through the cutover to the East, it won't be a quite walk especially early season.
Another question I have, is if you are getting day time photos, early season, say as early as 530 to 730 consistently. Roughly how far away could that bachelor group be bedding?
TNRiverRat

Unread postby TNRiverRat » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:39 pm

I would hunt it either on a straight North, or straight south wind. With those winds you could come in from North, south, or east, as long as the last 100 yard approach was in line with the pond coming from the East.[/quote]
Dan
Thanks for taking a look at my post. Is this the route you would take? Would you hunt the East side of the pond, maybe the NE corner? The pond is probably about a 15 ft circle. The West bank drops off to a steep ravine. Will lose a little blood walking through the cutover to the East, it won't be a quite walk especially early season.
Another question I have, is if you are getting day time photos, early season, say as early as 530 to 730 consistently. Roughly how far away could that bachelor group be bedding?
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:15 pm

The entrance looks good... I would assume the bucks are near by.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:27 pm

I have had a trail camera set up on a water hole for about 3 years now. I get more pictures of bucks in Sept, Oct, Nov, than I do in August. I was kind of surprised at this. I would have thought the hot dry month of August would have them coming more. The temperature didn't seem to have any effect on the amount of buck traffic. It seems they just like the water.

So I would say your water hole is definitely worth hunting. I have not checked my camera at the pond yet this year but will more than likely at the end of the hunting season. There are 2 other water holes on this farm so other water sources don't seem to matter. I do not have a camera up on either one of those.

As for your set up I would hunt it with a South, SE, SW wind and come in from the North off the road. Might want to make a little path for yourself next year so you don't get bloody getting to the stand.

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”