Mock setup

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbigbear
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/mobilehuntinggear/

Mock setup

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:40 am

I stuck a cam at about the height of a bedded buck, then backed off about 40 yds to practice climbing. My cam is zoom about mid level so objects appear closer than actual!!!! I would not have picked this tree in a real situation nor climbed as high, but just for video purpose it works. How does the movements & noise seem?

http://youtu.be/2r2Kd0X7uik

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Re: Mock setup

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:17 am

I don't think a buck would tolerate the noise and movement on a quiet day like that. JMHO
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:28 am

I think your idea of practicing with the camera on you is cool. I agree with Stanley though, not sure how much of the noise was you, but the movement would be for certain very noticeable.

I realize there were a bunch of noises in the back ground not coming from you, and that wouldn't be in the deer hunting woods. I would continue to practice because that's what it takes. Personally I am snail slow when I set up my set. The last 100 yards to my tree and the setup takes me an hour sometimes.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:28 pm

backstraps wrote:I think your idea of practicing with the camera on you is cool. I agree with Stanley though, not sure how much of the noise was you, but the movement would be for certain very noticeable.

I realize there were a bunch of noises in the back ground not coming from you, and that wouldn't be in the deer hunting woods. I would continue to practice because that's what it takes. Personally I am snail slow when I set up my set. The last 100 yards to my tree and the setup takes me an hour sometimes.

I agree with this. Somewhere on here or in one of the videos Dan talks about how everyone is in a hurry in life and that carries over with a lot of guys in the woods. I admit to being very guilty of this prior to the beast. I think if you are going to invest all the time to cyber scout, put boots on the ground, stand prep, bow practice, etc. Take the extra 10, 20, 60 minutes and make the most of that hunt. Now I try to think of every entrance to a stand site as a serious endeavor. While I am no BBSK (yet), twice last year I had does walk by while I was putting up sticks, so I think my entrance and stand hanging methods are improving. I don't know if you've ever seen a porcupine in the woods, but that's the pace I like to move at now...really slow and deliberate.

Great idea with the filming by the way, definitely a cool approach.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
tmarbut

Unread postby tmarbut » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:37 pm

Thanks for that one cbigbear. I couldn't have imagined what a man climbing a tree in the woods looked like til now.
For me, this really helped me know the difference between slow and fast from a deer's perspective. I used to think that getting up a tree fast land loud was just as good as slow and quiet. At least I could get set and let things settle out quicker, right? Well, needless to say there were very few bucks seen in my woods during those times.
Anyway, this video was a good help for me. Many thanks...
T

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:06 pm

Cool video but too close bothe sound and sight wise.

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:48 pm

Guess I should have added they are building a house 500 yds straight behind the tree I was in. I re-watched the video & the only stand noise I could pick up was cam locking the stand everything else was back ground. I'm try again without the cam zoomed & see if the movements are as noticable.

From the video it looks like I need to slow my movements. Also as I stated above I'd never try to hang this close to a bed in a wide open tree such as this one. This is why finding the exact bed & sitting in it is so important. What looks good from the ground at a kill tree maybe wide open to the bed a couple feet off the ground.

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:49 pm

Pretty cool video...

semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:17 pm

I like your training approach. It's certainly outside the box.

In the past I have waited to put on my face mask until getting settled in tree. After watching this I will put it on b4 I ascend.

Tom's Hunting Lodge
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Toms-Hun ... 9489827174

Unread postby Tom's Hunting Lodge » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:35 am

Cool video and an Eye Opener ! I plan on trying this a few times this year but conditions need to be right. Not only the right wind, but some wind to cover my entry noise. Leave a hour or more earlier and go in SLOWER as mentioned. Higher isn't always better, 1 climbing stick.
ajack

Unread postby ajack » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:57 am

After watching this video, reviewing your 3 stick video and thinking back on my practice runs. I really need to stealth strip my sticks and stand, get my linesmen's belt system down pat and use my face more.

Thanks for posting all this stuff. You've accelerated my learning curve 10 fold. I really appreciate all the info you share.
ajack

Unread postby ajack » Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:18 am

One other thing I noticed the other day is that my carabiners click pretty loudly when I close them. Now obviously could just close them slower but sometimes that's out of the question. I did put one coat of spray on bed liner on one that stopped it from clanking on anything else but it still clicks pretty good when shutting. I don't notice any of yours in this video. So either you do it slow enough, you're far enough out of range for the noise to matter or you've already solved that problem. Suggestions?
cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:14 am

ajack wrote:One other thing I noticed the other day is that my carabiners click pretty loudly when I close them. Now obviously could just close them slower but sometimes that's out of the question. I did put one coat of spray on bed liner on one that stopped it from clanking on anything else but it still clicks pretty good when shutting. I don't notice any of yours in this video. So either you do it slow enough, you're far enough out of range for the noise to matter or you've already solved that problem. Suggestions?

Honestly this super close bed work is all new to me. It use to take me 5 mins to get 18' I just filmed another climb this morning & it took me 4 mins to get unpacked & get the stick on the tree!!!! The biners do click, my solution right now is a slowwww close, but I'm try some coatings because slips happen.
cbigbear

Unread postby cbigbear » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:16 am

So here is take 2 from yesterday. Same exact setup just no zoom on the cam & some camo. This climb was going good until the 12 min mark when I misplaced my tether to far to the left of the tree causing the swing out you see. Here is the video & also a screen shot showing the tree I would actually setup in if this were a real hunt setup.

http://youtu.be/vBxTq0u5hHY

Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:42 am

I commend you for practicing climbing this time of year and filming it. I did hear background noise, but thought you did well with what little noise I picked up from you. The movement that the video shows is something that I wouldn't think any deer would tolerate.

I do think you made a lot of us think about this whole process and what we can all do better. Thanks for sharing
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”