Hunting Small Parcels

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

msailor

Hunting Small Parcels

Unread postby msailor » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:05 am

How hard should you hunt a small parcel, say 40-100 acres? Do you go full beast mode and hunt the buck bed, or do you hang back for a full season of enjoyment? I guess in particular I am talking relatively low pressure areas.

Redman232

Re: Hunting Small Parcels

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:00 am

Depends on access and how many other properties you have to hunt. 90% of my private hunting is done on 80 acre parcels or smaller. Typically they have less than 30 acres of mature timber on them. Some I can hunt maybe a half dozen times because of good access and the way the properties are layed out and others I only can hunt 1 or 2 times a year. Not all of them get hunted each year. Some don't have buck bedding on them, but have great rut funnels, and others have 1-10 acres of cover with a couple buck beds(beast mode). Each property is different.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:18 am

msailor wrote:How hard should you hunt a small parcel, say 40-100 acres? Do you go full beast mode and hunt the buck bed, or do you [glow=red]hang back for a full season of enjoyment[/glow]? I guess in particular I am talking relatively low pressure areas.

I think if it were me, id prefer to get in there and get him killed rather than hanging back for a full season.

If you can get the job done early, who is to say another buck wont take up his vacancy. You could always still have the chance a hot doe could drag a neighboring buck into your area.

If I knew I had a buck using a particular bed or two on 40-100 acres, first correct wind chance I had, id be after him
Rutnstrut
500 Club

Unread postby Rutnstrut » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:51 am

I hunt our 80 acres of all woods fairly conservatively, but hunt a lot more aggressively on small and large chunks of public. I have quite a few small public spots that will be good for one maybe two hunts. I could hunt our land more aggressively, but between it being a ways away and the fact that I like to save it for my rut vacation, I don't.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:09 am

msailor wrote:How hard should you hunt a small parcel, say 40-100 acres? Do you go full beast mode and hunt the buck bed, or do you hang back for a full season of enjoyment? I guess in particular I am talking relatively low pressure areas.

Both... A lot of people think my tactics are very aggressive, but really there not if you look at the big picture. I hunt a 70 acre farm that is pretty small and can easily get over hunted. Most of the time I am sitting in observation stands watch from a distance, watching with a HCO cyber camera, or hunting somewhere else... The kills are made on precision moves with the right timeing.. Watch the current Whitetail tactics show airing on this site right now, and listen to how I killed the featured buck, it was the 70 acre farm.
frogtosser

Unread postby frogtosser » Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:47 am

I hunt a smaller parcel of land separated by a gravel road, I like to pick my spots and hunt them according to wind and time rut activity. Unfortunately I have to share the land with a couple of inlaws who hunt by trail cam weather wind is right or not. Those deer get educated fast, ugh.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”