Checking transition lines???

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

chasemukluk

Re: Checking transition lines???

Unread postby chasemukluk » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:42 pm

I love this thread so far. I know this is not a cattail marsh in the example, but it seemed to have a solid transition line to make sense of all this. Let's say you are going in blind. My interpretation of your examples would be to proceed up the red line until I find some fresh sign (rubs, droppings, tracks, scrapes) leaving these points. Would you then set up right there or proceed into the point a bit? I would think you would only proceed into the point where you can maybe just barely see the end of it entering the marsh. Is that how you all would approach that type of situation? Any other examples anyone can share. This map is just some big random marsh in NW Wisconsin. Thanks!

Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:05 pm

Excellent thread, something I have noticed that follows this is the extremely vague transitions. Those almost un-noticeable on the map seem to be the ones I find the most on.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Make It Happen
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:22 pm

chasemukluk wrote:I love this thread so far. I know this is not a cattail marsh in the example, but it seemed to have a solid transition line to make sense of all this. Let's say you are going in blind. My interpretation of your examples would be to proceed up the red line until I find some fresh sign (rubs, droppings, tracks, scrapes) leaving these points. Would you then set up right there or proceed into the point a bit? I would think you would only proceed into the point where you can maybe just barely see the end of it entering the marsh. Is that how you all would approach that type of situation? Any other examples anyone can share. This map is just some big random marsh in NW Wisconsin. Thanks!

if you find droppings, rubs, scrapes, signs of browsing you are close enough. your photo has good examples of trails coming to those points. I don't like the chances of finding a buck bedded there. maybe if there is bedding not far out it might pan out but I wouldnt count on it. Those trails are inviting but the big bucks I see tend to stay away from traffic areas. your thought process is right on though.
a friend had me scout his property (I wish I could show a pic but i cant) he had a swamp with a good buck bedding in there somewhere. I pointed out a point that dead ended in the swamp with no trails coming off. Guess where we found his bed? I told him to set up a ladder with a quiet entrance to it. I told him to sneak in when the wind is right during rifle season and slowly climb up until he can get a shot on the bedded buck. Ill bet if he is careful he will kill him!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”