Boat or Kayak? How to access from water?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

johndeere506
500 Club

Boat or Kayak? How to access from water?

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:45 am

Im looking for recommendation on a small plastic boat vs a small kayak for access from the water in small rivers and creeks. Very calm water. My dad already has a 10ft sundolphin, with trolling motor and a 3 hp Merc. But its white.....

We also have a couple bigger sea kayaks, but they are red and yellow, and I picture being too long for small access. What do you recommend?

Most of my water access points will be 2-3 miles to get to my spots.

Does anyone have an aerial with drawing on how to access points, transitions and islands while showing where a buck bed would be from the water access? Obviously you cant paddle right to the point and walk in, so Im hoping to learn from your example.
Thanks!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Boat or Kayak? How to access from water?

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:37 am

My suggestion would vary based on where your hunting and what you have to get thru... A canoe is great cause you can fit all your equipment and the deer. But.t can also be noisy or hard to get thru small ditches or very shallow water. Kayaks liker they sell at walmart are short, quiet and easy to manuver but hard to load equipment and game.

When looking at islands look for pointy ends of the island or corners. Elevation can be a bedding factor to, if the island is not flat.
dribeerfeht

Unread postby dribeerfeht » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:29 pm

I have both, but I use a canoe for hunting. I'm comfortable with a canoe, and I'm able to get to places that other hunters wont go to, and I can get there quickly and fairly quietly in the dark, without spooking them (deer) by walking and scenting the area. It allows me to easily pack my stand, steps, and other gear. I can also bring my son, or a friend. On the down side, if the wind is blowing, a canoe can be hard to paddle, since it doesn't have a deep keel, and will pivot where you are sitting. I compensate for this by kneeling midship, or if it is really windy, by paddling from the bow seat. My old grumman aluminum canoe is a battle tank, but it can be noisy if you are not careful with metal to metal contact. They can also be tricky to load a deer into from a steep bank (I know...I flipped one in icy water while loading my deer). A kayak is faster and more agile, but a canoe can haul more, and is more stable. Here is a pic from a couple years ago.

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:42 pm

Gheenoe.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
johndeere506
500 Club

Unread postby johndeere506 » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:57 pm

Thanks guys I think maybe it depends on where. River and such, maybe a canoe. Streams and creeks, a kayak. I almost want to hunt from the ground a few times to keep it simple and not bring everything, although I feel the ground is a disadvantage.

Dan, Ive found some cool spots scouting online so far, but some of these islands and points, I just don't see how they could hold a buck. Some big some small, but maybe until I see for my own eyes it will seem far fetched to me. I've found some cool spots in the dead stream swamp too which is huge, but all the stuff that jumps out for water access, marsh and islands, seems too close to roads to believe a mature bucks could be there. Is it better to hit these spots at the beginning of archery before anyone else does, just in case?

Id be a lot more confident had I started reading on how to scout properly last Winter/Spring. Coming in late to the game now, I feel like Im guessing on spots and putting all my bets in one place.

Are the trails you can see on aerials useful for scouting? Are they frequently used if seen from aerials? Or should I ignore them.
Bigdaddy-yoyo
500 Club

Unread postby Bigdaddy-yoyo » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:24 pm

johndeere506 wrote:Thanks guys I think maybe it depends on where. River and such, maybe a canoe. Streams and creeks, a kayak. I almost want to hunt from the ground a few times to keep it simple and not bring everything, although I feel the ground is a disadvantage.

Dan, Ive found some cool spots scouting online so far, but some of these islands and points, I just don't see how they could hold a buck. Some big some small, but maybe until I see for my own eyes it will seem far fetched to me. I've found some cool spots in the dead stream swamp too which is huge, but all the stuff that jumps out for water access, marsh and islands, seems too close to roads to believe a mature bucks could be there. Is it better to hit these spots at the beginning of archery before anyone else does, just in case?

Id be a lot more confident had I started reading on how to scout properly last Winter/Spring. Coming in late to the game now, I feel like Im guessing on spots and putting all my bets in one place.

Are the trails you can see on aerials useful for scouting? Are they frequently used if seen from aerials? Or should I ignore them.

They are there from use thru the years.........pay attention to them
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:31 pm

johndeere506 wrote:Thanks guys I think maybe it depends on where. River and such, maybe a canoe. Streams and creeks, a kayak. I almost want to hunt from the ground a few times to keep it simple and not bring everything, although I feel the ground is a disadvantage.

Every island is different, some hold bucks some don't... If its surrounded by shallow water a deer can walk thru, and it has adequate cover most likely it has good bucks using it. Close to the road, far from the road, really don't matter.
The deer trails you see on google earth are great indicators of deer use and they are a tool I use t o decide whether or not to hunt opne
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:32 am

In my experience islands in the cattails, are very similar to "islands" in CRP. When a deer looks up from the thick stuff, that is a location marker and for multiple reasons, even if there is not bedding on the island, deer gravitate towards them. I almost never find an island without deer sign on it or around the edges of it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”