Final Resting Place

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

semperfidelis

Final Resting Place

Unread postby semperfidelis » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:44 pm

I was thinking about a successful hunt last year when I shot a buck. The buck ran away and with no blood trail and dry conditions I defaulted to a circular search of the area in order to locate him. In short I found him 75 yards from where he was shot. What is noteworthy is that he chose a point as a final bed down location that featured a small depression. I remember seeing the depression and thinking I could walk right by him if he died in there and not even see him. I walked closer and as I got to the edge sure enough he had sought the concealment offered by this small depression. The depression was about five feet deep and eight feet wide.

It is obvious in retrospect the buck knew where he was going after being hit and that he felt "protected" by this location. I now wonder if he would have bedded there before. The point he occupied took advantage of the predominant wind in hill country.

Would a buck normally bed in such a location that he had literally only feet of visibility?

JakeJD
500 Club

Re: Final Resting Place

Unread postby JakeJD » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:54 pm

I have jumped bucks bedded in minor depressions created by blowdown rootballs. But they were with does. I am no expert but I dont believe this is normal as they would negate their vision defense downwind.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"In the deed, the glory"
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:07 pm

In woods usually not... But in cattails and high grass they often rely on sound and scent, rather than sight and scent. So its possible. But I don't see that often in woods.
semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:26 pm

Thanks fellas

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”