Locate beds on Topo Maps & Satellite photos

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ravot22

Locate beds on Topo Maps & Satellite photos

Unread postby ravot22 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:12 am

In a nut shell, how do you locate a bedding area on a satellite photo and what's the best way to locate a bedding area on a topo map?

TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Re: Locate beds on Topo Maps & Satellite photos

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:20 am

Here is my tactic....i look at google maps and look for edges and vegetation change.....but works best is use google earths history tineline feature and you can view the lay of the land back over 15 years ago.....thats how i found all my thickets ......on the recent aerials its faint i went back to 1997 and the cutover was BAM not missable.....try it out

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Southern Man
500 Club

Unread postby Southern Man » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:17 am

TN Whitetail Freak wrote:....i look at google maps and look for edges and vegetation change.....but works best is use google earths history tineline feature and you can view the lay of the land back over 15 years ago....

I actually did that today.

I have been looking at a new spot in forested hill country. At the head of a draw, one small spot caught my attention. I went to google earth, zoomed in, and went thru the timeline feature from 1998 until today. Something clearly happened in that draw in 2006, plain as day. It looked like it was clearcut, but that didn't happen. No logging was allowed on that piece of public since the 90's. In the years since, the vegetation has grown back but there has to be an edge along that ridgetop for several hundred yards.

After seeing that, I pick out likely bedding spots on a topo map, and will check them this winter in person.

Look at some of the old threads that Dan has marked up maps for others to get an idea of likely bedding spots based on terrain. It's trial and error. More error for me but that's the only way to learn.
You Can't Argue With A Sick Mind
huntinsonovagun

Unread postby huntinsonovagun » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:52 am

How do you find old aerials on Google Earth? Maybe it's not an option on the smartphone app? I'll have to check it out on the iPad tonight.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
Florida
500 Club
Facebook: facebook.com/huntinggeardeals

Unread postby Florida » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:35 am

huntinsonovagun wrote:How do you find old aerials on Google Earth? Maybe it's not an option on the smartphone app? I'll have to check it out on the iPad tonight.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

You have to download the Google earth program. You can not do it on the web version as far as I know. It's free to download. If you are only using the web version, you are missing out.

http://www.huntinggeardeals.com
Co-Host Down South Hunting Podcast
TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Fri Aug 08, 2014 4:48 am

Its not an option on mobile....you have to be on PC

oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:31 am

The marsh bucks dvd n hill country dvds explain both very well. If u dont have em get em... there pretty cheap n u will get a ton of info from em..

hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:04 pm

On flat ground look for transitions and obstacles such as a body of water or a big wet swamp. Buck beds are often at the ends of points of dry ground going out into a wet or thick area.

Hard to explain in words but the best way to learn is to pick a spot on the map that looks good, walk to it, check it out and repeat. Its fun.

“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”