Early season mid-day hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

virginiashadow
500 Club

Early season mid-day hunting

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:48 am

Do any of you all that hunt 10am-2pm say from October 1-October 25th see any deer movement? Or do you save your mid-day hunting for late Oct-mid-November?

The reason I ask is because I can see where I might lose some hunting days this year, yet I could regain some of that time on stand if I was willing to hunt 10am-2pm on some days until my vacation begins in late October.

So bottom line, do you think mid-day hunting from October 1st-October 25th or so can be productive?

Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Re: Early season mid-day hunting

Unread postby Casper » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:15 am

I wouldnt personally until late october unless there is a big front coming or going.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
huntinnurse
500 Club

Unread postby huntinnurse » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:17 am

Any time in the woods is more productive than not in the woods!!!!Some very nice bucks are taken across the nation mid day.
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.John 3:16 KJV
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:18 am

VS, I've seen some early afternoon, early season movement by bucks to the closest water hole near their bed when its really hot out, something to watch for. Mostly that noon until 2 or so, again when its extra dry and hot out. They seem to walk extra slow and are very cautious if/when they do this. Outside of that, I've seen little movement during that time on high pressure public land until the rut periods kick in.
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:17 am

I would consider the public land I hunt to be low to mid-level pressure from October 1st-mid-November when the guns kick off. I also have a lot of spots to burn and do not mind invading new pieces of property because I have many back ups over the 45,000 huntable acres.
Dor
500 Club
Facebook: Chris Dornack

Unread postby Dor » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:03 am

I say go for it with low expectations. Better than not hunting, but save your best spots for post 10-25, don't bother them till then.

Call The Footed Shaft to order Kwik-Straps 507-288-7581 or order at the kwik-strap.com
virginiashadow
500 Club

Unread postby virginiashadow » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:24 pm

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I may give it a go if there is a heat wave or if there is an incoming weather change/front expected for the afternoon. I don't want to waste 40-50 miles worth of gas. At the very least I can be actively scouting new areas for the following year. I have much to learn and there is no better time than now.
lungbuster
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/WFTF

Unread postby lungbuster » Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:02 pm

I agree with weather changes and heat, that is what I would key in on for midday hunts that time period. As an example today my Dad was out doing some repair work in one of our fields, he was driving to the spot and rolled up on a buck we call Shazam, he is a 5.5 or 6.5 year old and is a very shootable deer,(160 class) anyway, Shazam was out at 3:00pm feeding on the edge of a corn field, rain had gone through about 2 hours prior and he was along ways from where I believe he beds, so I would bet he was on his feet alot earlier to get to that field which was atleast 800 yards from his bedding.
Also if you know where bucks are bedding in the daytime, get as close as you can to them w/o detection, because they will get up to stretch and browse throughout the day and they don't always go back to one bed, this may give you a chance at a browsing deer early in the day.
Good luck!
NatureBoy
500 Club

Unread postby NatureBoy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:43 am

My research and personal experience has revealed that if there is #1: a preferred food source that offers good #2: perimeter security cover #3: near a buck bed AND #4 the area is not getting pressured, there is a chance that a mature buck will show up a any time during the day. If any of the above elements are missing, chances of catching a mature buck on his feet between the hours you mentioned go way down.

Of course, things change the closer you get to the rut and during the rut.
Scout, scout, scout, hunt
Schultzy
500 Club

Unread postby Schultzy » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:02 am

NatureBoy wrote:My research and personal experience has revealed that if there is #1: a preferred food source that offers good #2: perimeter security cover #3: near a buck bed AND #4 the area is not getting pressured, there is a chance that a mature buck will show up a any time during the day. If any of the above elements are missing, chances of catching a mature buck on his feet between the hours you mentioned go way down.

Agree!!
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:05 am

Yep, good post NB- we're covering a lot of bases here from high to low pressure in an early season mid-day setting. 8-)
kurt

Unread postby kurt » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:21 am

NatureBoy wrote:
My research and personal experience has revealed that if there is #1: a preferred food source that offers good #2: perimeter security cover #3: near a buck bed AND #4 the area is not getting pressured, there is a chance that a mature buck will show up a any time during the day. If any of the above elements are missing, chances of catching a mature buck on his feet between the hours you mentioned go way down.

i agree too. any spot with low human pressure. marsh islands, but they still will stay somewhat close to their beds. a SNACK midday somewhere they feel secure. CONSULT JEFF MURRAYS MOON GUIDE for peak times that overlap when you have to hunt i would log midday movement in notepad, use it for future reference. the moon time, weather, etc.. i have a cam over a food plot and i get plenty of doe pics at any time of the day. i think big bucks will need that extra security cover though. but a peak movement moon time when you have to hunt couldn't hurt.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:29 am

I missed this thread, must of been off bear hunting. It is true you can catch a mature buck midday early season. However, I believe in most places that is a rare occurrence. They do have to feed every 6 hours being ruminants. You would have to be in a secure area near bedding where the buck has not sensed human presence in a long time. If you have lots of territory I would consider scouting and still hunting during the hours you mentioned. It is more productive to find a great spot for the evening hunt than to waist time sitting in a tree early morning thru 1:00 pm during early season unless the moon dictates morning late bedding area arrivals. A day of scouting and finding fresh sign is more important that sitting in a tree baking. Which, if you are not confidant in doing, you likely won't be ready when the buck shows and may get busted by getting noticed by a slow moving observant mature buck that slips in. I would consider starting to hunt more after October 20th. Also, scouting with the bow in hand often leads to shot opportunities. ;)
BowtechHunting
500 Club
Facebook: Don't have one...

Unread postby BowtechHunting » Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:12 am

I'm no expert on whitetails by no means, but I've spent several days hunting the 10-2 shift with not much luck. A few does here and there and maybe a spike looking for some love, but I just don't think you can replace the mornings and evenings. Now granted cold fronts, change in weather conditions could play a vital role in hunting the 10-2, but for me if I'm going to hunt till 2 I'll just go in before sunrise and stay till then...well if I stayed till 2 I might as well stay till sundown! :-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”