New Beast Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cjw5136

New Beast Question

Unread postby cjw5136 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:03 am

I'm a long time archery hunter but am new to the Beast style. I started reading this blog about late November last year and have watched all the DVDs and I loved them and watch them all the time. I went to the state police academy here in PA in January and did not get to spring scout and now I'm stationed in a completely new area of the state. Now that I have time on my hands I'd like to scout some areas but I'm wondering if at this point in the year maybe it's getting too close to season. I guess my question is how close is too close to explore new areas on foot before season starts? I'm thinking maybe cyber scouting and going in blind might be the best option for me this season but I'd like to get some experienced views on the topic....thanks in advance!

[ Post made via iPad ] Image

Beast-Mode

Re: New Beast Question

Unread postby Beast-Mode » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:52 am

Welcome
This topic may interest you: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=25757
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:29 am

Welcome to the Beast. I think that other thread will give you some ideas. I like the observation stand idea for sure. I also like glassing from afar. I am doing that with a bed I jumped a buck out of 3 weeks ago. He has not shown up since, that I know of.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:39 pm

cjw5136 wrote:I'm a long time archery hunter but am new to the Beast style. I started reading this blog about late November last year and have watched all the DVDs and I loved them and watch them all the time. I went to the state police academy here in PA in January and did not get to spring scout and now I'm stationed in a completely new area of the state. Now that I have time on my hands I'd like to scout some areas but I'm wondering if at this point in the year maybe it's getting too close to season. I guess my question is how close is too close to explore new areas on foot before season starts? [glow=red]I'm thinking maybe cyber scouting and going in blind[/glow]might be the best option for me this season but I'd like to get some experienced views on the topic....thanks in advance!

With the knowledge you have from the DVDs and the forum you should be able to execute some 'blind' hunts and find success…

Welcome and Good Luck!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
ajack

Unread postby ajack » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:27 am

Where is PA are you stationed now? Would you being doing any suburban hunting? I think deer react much differently to intrusion in highly populated areas and it may not be too late if you only bump them once between now and October.
Swampbuck

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:56 am

If you have alot of land to hunt i would go in without worrying about bumping some. Even though i watched the videos I needed to experience some of it for it to sink in... I think the information gained is worth it the consequences cause i found for me by playing it safe i wound up spinning my wheels in many cases. But some terrains are different and are more predictable... And if you can glass you may not need to go in as much as well
Make It Happen
chasemukluk

Unread postby chasemukluk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:01 am

If you are hunting public land, try to find some out of the way spots. I would Cyber Scout as that is always a good start. Go into some of your cyber scouted spots and then keep moving until you find some good/fesh sign and post up! Good luck!
cjw5136

Unread postby cjw5136 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:01 am

Thanks for all the input! That's what's awesome about this site, everybody's willing to help people out. I have a lot of public land around me now and am hoping as I meet new people in the area I can obtain some private. The county I'm patrolling is pretty rural and I see deer all the time working mid nights, no big bucks yet. I think diving in a few spots sounds like a good idea as I could see if my cyber scouting is on or off. Then once I have it down I could go with glassing some others. And once season comes I like the idea of scouting with a stand on my back and setting up right then and there. Thanks again!

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:16 am

Welcome to the BEAST. 8-)

aNDRAE HAS A HUGE AMOUNT OF SUCCESS BUMPING BUCKS THEN HUNTING THE BEDS SHORTLY AFTER... With that said, I prefer to not bother them much at this time of the year and rather "guess" bedding, but I have been doing this many years and have a good eye for bedding areas.
If I were in your shoes, I would scout now.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”