Enlightened Bucks

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

msailor

Enlightened Bucks

Unread postby msailor » Sat Aug 02, 2014 5:53 am

We all know, based on the knowledge we have gained from this site and from Dan's DVDs, where mature bucks prefer to bed. We often associate young bucks with does with regards to their bedding habits, so when does a buck wise up, stop acting like a pubescent teenager and start to stack the odds more in his favor? Is the switch induced by age or experience, or both, or are bed sites a limiting factor (meaning, is it a heirarchy/dominance established at bed sites), do they have to go through a period of enlightenment with the Dali Lama...?

oldrank

Re: Enlightened Bucks

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:02 am

Great question. .

[ Post made via Android ] Image
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:11 am

Ive always assumed the dominant buck owns the best bedding area. Then it goes down from there the most subordinate bucks getting the left overs. .. I have seen this while glassing in the summer. .. the smallest bucks come from the stategame area into a clover field n the larger bucks coming from unhuntable land.. n it seemed like the tiny spikes n forks came from the most hunted area

[ Post made via Android ] Image
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:15 am

I think age and experience play the biggest roll. However I have seen several button and yearling bucks living way back in the swamp where the older bucks bed. They aren't as sharp as the older bucks but they seem to have the right habbits that keep them alive. Can't help but think they learn much quicker or were born with a stronger instinct to survive.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:18 am

msailor wrote:We all know, based on the knowledge we have gained from this site and from Dan's DVDs, where mature bucks prefer to bed. We often associate young bucks with does with regards to their bedding habits, so when does a buck wise up, stop acting like a pubescent teenager and start to stack the odds more in his favor? Is the switch induced by age or experience, or both, or are bed sites a limiting factor (meaning, is it a heirarchy/dominance established at bed sites), do they have to go through a period of enlightenment with the Dali Lama...?

Yes, but only if mature buck hierarchy is present. If there are minimal or no mature bucks the immature bucks take part in breeding. When there are multiple mature bucks present... 1 and 2yr olds try to immitate what they see from older dominant deer but do it in an inefficient way (they chase every doe they see). I think once a buck hits 3yrs of age in a well established hierachy of deer... he starts to seek out areas of his own dominance. The super dominant 4s and 5s will still hold down the best pockets of breeding territory and fight at the drop of a hat to intruders. The vocalizations, sign posting = rubs and scrapes also becomes more prevalent in a well established hierarchy.

Just an FYI... I have seen 3yr bucks destroy older age class deer (5s and 6s) for breeding rights. But a dominant 5-6-7yr old bully still can rule the roost!

Here is what a dominant bully might look like! ;)
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:22 am

Touching on headgear's observation.... it is often the mothering doe that teaches the young button buck when and where to move as a fawn.... older more experienced does are SUPER cautious, whereas first time mothers are often less cautious (similar to mature vs immature deer). I see this A LOT with humans too :lol:

Personalities definetly play a role.... but that first year experience I personally think makes a big difference on how they act as 1.5yr olds and 2.5yr olds
Last edited by Bucky on Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:29 am

I think it is pretty evident that 2.5 year old bucks start to walk the walk. I mean button bucks are usually with their mother. And some 1.5 year olds stay close to mamma until the velvet comes off.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:46 am

Stanley wrote:I think it is pretty evident that 2.5 year old bucks start to walk the walk. I mean button bucks are usually with their mother. And some 1.5 year olds stay close to mamma until the velvet comes off.

So Stanley, you feel that 2.5 yo know the gig but their bedding sites are dictated by a social heirarchey?
msailor

Unread postby msailor » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:50 am

msailor wrote:
Stanley wrote:I think it is pretty evident that 2.5 year old bucks start to walk the walk. I mean button bucks are usually with their mother. And some 1.5 year olds stay close to mamma until the velvet comes off.

So Stanley, you feel that 2.5 yo know the gig but their bedding sites are dictated by a social heirarchey?

Or are you saying 2.5 yo have seen enough in there lifetime to find spots that use topography, winds, thermals, etc. to their advantage.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”