Entrance Route thoughts...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Entrance Route thoughts...

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:25 pm

I was thinking about a hunt a couple years ago, that had its highs and lows! Shortly after sunrise I had a very nice shooter come into the area I was hunting. With a stick and string though, he was out of range. The deer came with the wind directly at his back. He bedded and stayed in the one spot all day long! He got up a few times, shook off once, milled around literally just a couple steps, and bedded back down until killing light just before dark. The buck got up, shook off and stood in one spot then left the way he came in, walking directly into the NW.

So with that brief intro, I can no longer access this piece of private property from all sides as before. I am limited to one entry point. Where the small red arrow at the bottom of my map is placed.

Now that I can longer enter the killing spot from above, I am forced to enter from below. SO here are my concerns that I would like opinions on.

Entering from below I can do so before the thermals begin to rise.
I can enter a route that is outside the visual of a bedded buck on the point he is using.
I had planned on doing so just after daybreak so I could walk in without a light and the ability to see well enough to avoid any noise.

The buck I is using this point under a NW wind.
The red arrow would be my point of entry, the red trail would lead me to the spot I would plan to hunt.
This drawing is almost identical to the area I would like to hunt.

I planned on sitting all day to get an evening hunt in on him and hope the wind doesn't change direction through the day, that may get me busted.

Does my plan sound "do-able" and have any of you guys had any luck entering a stand site from below prior to rising thermals with success?

BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Re: Entrance Route thoughts...

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:59 pm

It looks plausible; however, are you sure your route is outside his visual? There is also the possibility he will be staged downwind of his bed when you plan to walk in. Is a bigger loop for access possible?

If your questioning your access right now, I recommend you save the sit for late October before the rut kicks off. There is a better chance of him getting to bed late.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:51 pm

It looks like a good plan to me. I see no reason it would not work.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:37 pm

Thanks guys

A bigger loop isn't possible. While sitting on this particular point, I will be a stones toss to the property corner. There are three land owners that come together 60 yards north of this area. This point is just inside the land I can hunt.

With the leaves still on the trees, I will be outside a visual for sure. I was planning to be on this spot are Oct 10-14th if the wind allows.

His bed is just about 100 yards from the bottom of the valley. It takes the sun almost 9 am to reach this valley. Would you guys wait longer to enter the spot, maybe midday and take a chance of the thermal pulling your scent up hill, or would a post dawn entry be better
semperfidelis

Unread postby semperfidelis » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:02 pm

First, nice sketch.

Looks solid to me. I like your use of the draw on your approach.

Something to consider if u wanted to get in before daylight is the use of a red lens flashlight. It is much less disturbing and noticeable than a white lens.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
cdeam

Unread postby cdeam » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:22 am

Seems like your setup gives that deer your wind?

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:41 am

cdeam wrote:Seems like your setup gives that deer your wind?

I think he was counting on the thermals moving down early morning before the sun comes up to move the thermals up ward. You are correct though if there is wind early morning.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:08 am

Stanley wrote:
cdeam wrote:Seems like your setup gives that deer your wind?

I think he was counting on the thermals moving down early morning before the sun comes up to move the thermals up ward. You are correct though if there is wind early morning.

Agreed. The just-off wind should favor him.

To be honest, I've tried what you are attempting several times. I've never been successful with my approach with a loop this small. My biggest fear is the wind will bounce off the adjacent ridges and swirl in the valley below the bed. The buck will smell you. Once you get too close, he'll blow out of the bed down to the valley below.
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:30 am

It sounds like your options are to either try it or not hunt that deer at all, because he is leaving the property you can hunt. If he is accessing the bed from the NW, could you hunt the downwind side of the bed before thermals start to rise? Then you scent would be falling into the valley and not reaching the bed until at least 9 a.m. Of course you would probably only get one shot at it. I think I would probably try to shoot him right at the bed, from downwind before the thermal shift. If he isn't J hooking to the bed, I think you would have a better chance. THose 3 ridges coming together like that will play all kinds of games with your wind and thermals. Sorry to be so long winded, but I vote, pre dawn entrance with stand setup within shooting distance to the bed.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:04 am

Thanks guys for the replies

I will be set up just offwind from the bed.

I wish I could make.a larger loop to entrance. I am fearing he will already be bedding as the dates I plan on trying will not be moon days. Should be a rising moon three days after a full moon.

Best case scenario he would come to bed a little late like the last time he was seen here. I was hunting too low last time and he never caught my scent from the thermal... but also never was close enough to catch a muzzy either.

Something mentioned that I have been curious about...how large of a loop do you guy prefer? Couple ridges over.....several hundred yards.....or basically each setup determines its own entrance?

[ Post made via Android ] Image
JoeRE
500 Club

Unread postby JoeRE » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:50 am

I think what you have should work as long as the final approach can be quiet. Unless I need to avoid deer down low I generally come in to morning stands from below like you show. The falling thermals before the sun comes up work in your favor and often traveling along waterways is the quietest way in the dark. Remember, updrafts don't start till the temps start rising on the ridges.
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:00 am

In your scenario, if try to stay out of the eddy created by the wind, adjacent ridges, and falling thermal. I'd avoid the downwind valley, get up on the adjacent downwind ridge, circle high, and approach from above late morning. Sounds extreme but access is always more difficult in the hills.

ajack

Unread postby ajack » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:55 am

Here's my two cents, with the shape of that valley and a WNW wind any scent you've left at the bottom early will rise up in the thermals but then be blown west. I say this because you don't have a ridge that is perpendicular to the wind direction therefore you won't get as much of a vortex that's going to suck the scent up from the valley (think like re-rolling a backwards toilet paper roll where the center of the role is directly at that mixing zone). Your wind, being nearly parallel to the ridge on which the buck is bedded) and the thermals (depending on the speed of the wind) should blow every thing down the valley. In fact, that leads me to beleive you could even sneak into this spot even after thermals start to rise if your main concern is scent you've left below.

However, I would think your problem would be your scent getting caught in the leeward vortex (northeast side of your ride) on your final approach or while you are on stand and then drift southwest to the buck. However, as you've experience that may not be the case.

Give it a shot. You'll never have a chance at killing him if you don't at least try right?
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:05 pm

BassBoysLLP wrote:In your scenario, if try to stay out of the eddy created by the wind, adjacent ridges, and falling thermal. I'd avoid the downwind valley, [glow=red]get up on the adjacent downwind ridge, circle high, and approach from above late morning.[/glow] Sounds extreme but access is always more difficult in the hills.

I can tell you know what you are talking about especially in discussions concerning hill country, because I can relate to hill country topics as that is 90% of my hunting over the last 25 years. I appreciate your input as well as all the others. Really gets me to thinking.

I have a planned meeting with the third adjacent land owner that would actually give me access from a farther loop, like the highlighted quoted above suggest.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:19 pm

ajack wrote:Here's my two cents, with the shape of that valley and a WNW wind any scent you've left at the bottom early will rise up in the thermals but then be blown west. I say this because you don't have a ridge that is perpendicular to the wind direction therefore you won't get as much of a vortex that's going to suck the scent up from the valley (think like re-rolling a backwards toilet paper roll where the center of the role is directly at that mixing zone). [glow=red]Your wind, being nearly parallel to the ridge on which the buck is bedded[/glow]) and the thermals (depending on the speed of the wind) should blow every thing down the valley. In fact, that leads me to beleive you could even sneak into this spot even after thermals start to rise if your main concern is scent you've left below.

However, I would think your problem would be your scent getting caught in the leeward vortex (northeast side of your ride) on your final approach or while you are on stand and then drift southwest to the buck. However, as you've experience that may not be the case.

Give it a shot. You'll never have a chance at killing him if you don't at least try right?

My scent I would be leaving in the valley below is my main concern about my entrance route, as well as the last 60-75 yards to my stand set. If he has already made it back to his bed, as I really suspect he will be, I'm worried about my scent trail being pulled to him by a rising thermal, as well as my scent trail from above being carried via WNW wind.

Not to argue your point of view, but I would assume my valley scent trail would/could be drawn up the ridge I will be hunting via rising thermal not being blown into the direction of the wind... the wind direction shouldn't have an effect in the valley, but rather the thermals being drawn up the leeward side of the point into the wind tunnel.

My wind being nearly parallel...that's actually my plan... "nearly" and not parallel. I think my wind will blow slightly off wind from his bed. Which brings me to my second major concern...being above him and having a wind shift, then my game may be over. If it shifts, I will have no other choice but to hang in until either he bust out or I get lucky and the wind shift doesn't put my scent in his nose.

Thanks for the reply. Again, I am not doubting, as I am here to learn. Has me thinking about the valley scent. Makes me want to post another topic with some topo examples to get conversation started on that subject. Thanks again!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”