Entrance Route thoughts...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cdeam

Re: Entrance Route thoughts...

Unread postby cdeam » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:00 am

I say try it and let us know what happens and why you think it happened that way!

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:15 am

I think I would try to setup just below the bed well before light and kill him before the thermals rise…

That way you could just walk directly into the wind and hopefully he walks in directly from upwind like he did before and bingo!

That is just what I see due to where you can access and the previous encounter, but IDK, nothing wrong with your plan either…Although sitting all day long on a 'just off' is kind of scary...
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:19 am

PalmettoKid wrote:I think I would[glow=red]try to setup just below the bed well before light and kill him before the thermals rise[/glow]…

That way you could just walk directly into the wind and hopefully he walks in directly from upwind like he did before and bingo!

That is just what I see due to where you can access and the previous encounter, but IDK, nothing wrong with your plan either…Although sitting all day long on a 'just off' is kind of scary...

This is the plan I am going to attempt. I figure if I bump him, worse case scenario I may be able to catch him 3-4 weeks later during the rut in a funnel nearby :doh:
Redman232

Unread postby Redman232 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:57 am

backstraps wrote:
PalmettoKid wrote:I think I would[glow=red]try to setup just below the bed well before light and kill him before the thermals rise[/glow]…

This is the plan I am going to attempt. I figure if I bump him, worse case scenario I may be able to catch him 3-4 weeks later during the rut in a funnel nearby :doh:

I think this has the highest potential of being successful.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:42 am

I did not have a chance to read the replys, playing catch up from my vacation so sorry if its repetitive... I think your plan has some flaws. Most of the time a buck comes to his bed in the morning from the down wind side so there is a good chance he is going to cross your path or already be there based on your arrival time which would make it tough to circle him that close to his bed un noticed. Also, that wind looks to me like it will follow that terrain from your tree to the bucks bed.

With this spot, if thats the only way you can enter, and the only wind you could use, I would wait for the right day and get there two hours before daylight and come in from straight south and sit just East of the bed but in range and as high as you can effectively shoot and go for broke.

If you can enter from the West, then I would look for a little more of a north wind and set up somewhere near your spot, but without the wind cutting it so close.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”