Single Pin - Hunting

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kurt

Re: Single Pin - Hunting

Unread postby kurt » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:15 pm

i leave it at 20-25 most of the time but change it on situation thats what i love about it can set it up perfectly for any situation.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:05 pm

I have an HHA and a Montana Black Gold single pin on my main and back up bow...I set mine and adjust to whatever trail I'm hunting. When I've had to adjust the sight, It's never cost me a deer. Mine usually stays at 20 yards and I know where the bow hits at 25, or 30, etc. All in all it's familiarity with the setup.

I shoot heavy arrows at 551 grains 260 fps and the single pin works great. You don't have to have a super fast setup to use them..
Knute78
500 Club

Unread postby Knute78 » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:36 am

Thanks for all the replies guys. I think the majority consensus is set it at 25 yards and adjust it if time allows and is necessary. Thanks Again. Chad

[ Post made via Android ] Image
Genesis 27:3

"Now then, please take your gear, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me;"
Terry
500 Club

Unread postby Terry » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:57 am

I tried one pin and found it was a little difficult to figure out my aiming point at 40 yards. So now I hunt with two, a 20 and a 40. I find that this is the easiest way for me to be accurate out to 40 without having a cluster of pins. For 30 yards I just go between the two.
Chasman

Unread postby Chasman » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:35 pm

HHA is a stand up company. An awesome warranty and customer support. Plus they are based in WI Rapids. I have used a single pin since 2000. I don't move pin, I have used pin so much and have become comfortable in yardage and shooting distances. Very simple and effective.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:41 pm

Terry has explained how I want my sight picture. If my mental checklist says they are close then top pin. Far means use bottom pin. When THE big one has me all jelly legged and heart in the throat lots of mistakes could happen. Even three pins can cause issues. Maybe someday I should spring for a 1 pin sight.

You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:22 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Terry has explained how I want my sight picture. If my mental checklist says they are close then top pin. Far means use bottom pin. When THE big one has me all jelly legged and heart in the throat lots of mistakes could happen. Even three pins can cause issues. Maybe someday I should spring for a 1 pin sight.

You would like the one pin man. It really simplifies things when the pressure is on.
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:04 am

I dont use a sight, just point my arrow at the target. You dont practice enough if you need pins. 8-)
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:04 am

kenn1320 wrote:I dont use a sight, just point my arrow at the target. You dont practice enough if you need pins. 8-)

LOL.
Good to see your post Ken
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
kenn1320
500 Club

Unread postby kenn1320 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:13 pm

Edcyclopedia wrote:
kenn1320 wrote:I dont use a sight, just point my arrow at the target. You dont practice enough if you need pins. 8-)

LOL.
Good to see your post Ken

Hey Ed, Ive been away for awhile, other hobbies. Im like the nonresident buck that just shows up during the rut. Season is getting closer and shooting my hunting bow reminded me I haven't been on the Beast in awhile.
"Its about taking the right shot at the right time with good equipment." Dan Infalt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”