Early bedding in farm land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thermals
500 Club

Early bedding in farm land

Unread postby Thermals » Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:26 pm

I have been watching a buck close to the house that I thought was coming from the same bed but tonight with the wind the same as lastnight he came from the other end of the field so I am Woundering if that is the way it is until they get some pressure on them or season get closer. I will get a map up here shortly

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

Bucky

Re: Early bedding in farm land

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:13 pm

Jeremy - what kind of field is he feeding in? If you see him on similar pattern after velvet shed then you have good reason to be excited.... lot changes after the velvet comes off

[ Post made via Android ] Image
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:19 pm

Bean field. I have found some beds in the spring and have been watching his tracks since then as well and he is a stud in my book, unless there is a bigger buck around I would say he is the one doing it. Do you think it is to late to scout some as I did not check the woods out arc road the field, I was thinking of taking my dog to bust the deer out a head of me or wait till a midday rain, there also is about for or five smaller bucks in the same area. My parents sen this buck last year around the house. But unlit the beast I would have never hunted this close to te house lol

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:37 pm

jeremy wrote:Bean field. I have found some beds in the spring and have been watching his tracks since then as well and he is a stud in my book, unless there is a bigger buck around I would say he is the one doing it. Do you think it is to late to scout some as I did not check the woods out arc road the field, I was thinking of taking my dog to bust the deer out a head of me or wait till a midday rain, there also is about for or five smaller bucks in the same area. My parents sen this buck last year around the house. But unlit the beast I would have never hunted this close to te house lol

Beans may or may not be good for opener. Once they yellow, acorns drop, or someone has fresh cut alfalfa in the vicinity feeding patterns change rapidly. Keep an eye on things from a.distance.. I would probably not go stomping around at this point. Post up a map... just based off that sometimes it is easy to pick likely bedding areas/access.

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:07 am

Ok sounds good I will try to get it posted tonight

jboswell
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.boswell.12

Unread postby jboswell » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:34 am

Our youth season in Iowa starts on the 20th of September, I can get my son on some "beans pattern" bucks but usually by our October 1st regular archery opener that has all changed due to yellowing of the beans, Acorns dropping...etc and they aren't hitting the beans, however, several of my buddies have killed hunting beans the first few days of the season... pretty rare for us though
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:47 am

Yeah, if Ohio does not open until Oct 1st I strongly suspect the beans will be done as far as a food draw...

I purposely plant my beans two-three weeks after the farmers in hopes that mine are green yet while theirs are going yellow... it has made for a great food plot hunt two years in a row about mid Sept (WI opener). Fresh cut alfalfa in the vicinity has trumped my green beans though...
ehlusive

Unread postby ehlusive » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:00 am

As a general rule once they turn yellow they move off to other food sources but not always. Friend of mine a few years back shot a good buck in yellow beans.

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:21 am

They may turn yellow this week as cold as it's been, but most of the time we a week or so after season starts

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:54 am

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:55 am

Here is the map, I will post what the numbers mean tonight going to watch for him again now.

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:40 am

Ok I did not get a chance to post lastnight but here it goes

1 is some beds I found in early spring and they are still being used by smaller bucks an does everyday.

2 is where I have seen the good buck come from just about everytime with anything that has a north wind in it. For some reason I did not go over there in the spring to check it out. The buck just about always heads to the round group of trees across were he comes out, I am think cuz the wind comes back to him from the trees.

3 is where most of the does bed year round.

4 is a small pond where I first though I could get this buck durning a hot day but with the creek behind his bed I shot that idea down.

5 is small creek and maybe best way in to his bed

6 is this bucks tracks that have been traveling the same path since spring( must be heading to check on the does

The fence line heading west to east I all oaks and the small patch of woods across were the buck is coming out I found a few beds but unles I get a different wind to see if he is there I believe we're just there in the winter for the southern sun for warmth.
Bucky or anyone I am looking for help on this one it will bey first beast hunt, I have other places but with thi being into back yard almost I can realy work hard on it. I am thinkingy plan of atack If he stays in that spot would be by the ground with a gillie suit and go out the fence line were the little bucks and does bed which is a prob then go across over to the creek and sneak in.u fault for not going in and getting things figures out for a tree stand. Thanks guys

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:09 pm

Dan if you get a chance can you take a look at the map I posted up thanks

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:57 am

Dan can I get you to check out this map when you get time.

MOBIGBUCKS

Unread postby MOBIGBUCKS » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:11 am

jeremy wrote:Dan can I get you to check out this map when you get time.

PM him. He will check it out. He has probably just missed the thread.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”