Early bedding in farm land

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Early bedding in farm land

Unread postby dan » Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:19 am

jeremy wrote:Dan can I get you to check out this map when you get time.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

I agree with Bucky that the beans are going to be hit or miss opening day... But looking at your situation, if your the only one hunting that property you could place about 5 kill stands and leave them alone and just keep glassing and when you see him make a move in day light, then the next day if conditions are right hunt it. Then repeat. If that buck is living in that small area he should be easy to kill

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:08 am

As far as I no I am the only one

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:42 am

Is north at the top of this picture?

You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
gjs4
500 Club

Unread postby gjs4 » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:55 am

I feel (especially in farm country with pressure) they bed where they bed on the wind at the time they bed.

Ie west wind both days but a north one night and a south the other will have different beds.

Wind is their defense in thick areas behind them there eyes for the open infront

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
Green and growing... Or red and rotting
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:32 pm

Stanly
Yes that is north

Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:51 pm

jeremy wrote:Ok I did not get a chance to post lastnight but here it goes

1 is some beds I found in early spring and they are still being used by smaller bucks an does everyday.

2 is where I have seen the good buck come from just about everytime with anything that has a north wind in it. For some reason I did not go over there in the spring to check it out. The buck just about always heads to the round group of trees across were he comes out, I am think cuz the wind comes back to him from the trees.

3 is where most of the does bed year round.

4 is a small pond where I first though I could get this buck durning a hot day but with the creek behind his bed I shot that idea down.

5 is small creek and maybe best way in to his bed

6 is this bucks tracks that have been traveling the same path since spring( must be heading to check on the does

The fence line heading west to east I all oaks and the small patch of woods across were the buck is coming out I found a few beds but unles I get a different wind to see if he is there I believe we're just there in the winter for the southern sun for warmth.
Bucky or anyone I am looking for help on this one it will bey first beast hunt, I have other places but with thi being into back yard almost I can realy work hard on it. I am thinkingy plan of atack If he stays in that spot would be by the ground with a gillie suit and go out the fence line were the little bucks and does bed which is a prob then go across over to the creek and sneak in.u fault for not going in and getting things figures out for a tree stand. Thanks guys

Where are you coming in at?
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:53 am

If you look by number 3 there is a house just above it, which is my parents house and I would walk straight down the fence row to to were the little pond is there in the fence row and he is bedding over were I have been seeing him come out I would keep going up that fence to then cut across up that creek there.

Robert

Unread postby Robert » Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:50 am

Jeremy,

My dad and I own a dairy farm in Wisconsin and usually the beans are green for about the first two weeks of the season here. About 4 years ago I shot a really nice buck opening night that I was watching for about 3 weeks before the season. He came out in the same field every night. The wind was almost always wrong for sitting in the trees so a sat on the ground in the beans. I took some green leaves and made a little hat so it would break up my outline of my head. When the buck came out he started eating and when he was within range and had his head down i drew back and shot. Never knew i was there. The wind was perfect. Might be one way to try. The rush i got shooting one off the ground like that was amazing, like no other.
FRH
500 Club

Unread postby FRH » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:51 am

Robert wrote:Jeremy,

My dad and I own a dairy farm in Wisconsin and usually the beans are green for about the first two weeks of the season here. About 4 years ago I shot a really nice buck opening night that I was watching for about 3 weeks before the season. He came out in the same field every night. The wind was almost always wrong for sitting in the trees so a sat on the ground in the beans. I took some green leaves and made a little hat so it would break up my outline of my head. When the buck came out he started eating and when he was within range and had his head down i drew back and shot. Never knew i was there. The wind was perfect. Might be one way to try. The rush i got shooting one off the ground like that was amazing, like no other.

That's an option I never consider but the beans would definitely give you enough cover to do. What an adrenaline rush that had to be!

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:06 am

We must be beast because I been thinking of that but I would have to belly craw all the way out there so he does not see me am then there is the other deer I will have to contend with.

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:07 pm

Here Is a topo of the same land I will post up a new aerial in a bit I think I refined where he is at for sure.

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:08 pm

Thermals
500 Club

Unread postby Thermals » Sat Aug 16, 2014 1:47 am

Here is a new map were I seen this buck and a smaller buck come out of this point, which makes more sence than the other spot. I think he is on this point and comes around that field were it dropped over to make a valley which is not seen on the topo and it makes it seem as he is coming from there an he is not, I could be wrong.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:12 pm

Thermals did you ever go after him?
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:23 pm

I have been struggling to pin down any consistently used buck beds in small woodlot/farmland/suburbia type grounds...

The one thing I've found to be a VERY common trait between all of the bedded bucks I've came across and beds I've moved bucks from is they use their eyes more than anything...

Its to the point that if you drive down a driveway or farmer road you might as well not even bother because he done watched you come in and he's gone or not gunna move..

I've been going around in the snow and I've caught some bedded bucks and that's the trait I'm finding...farther confirming what I've been finding...

I started parking and hiking in...it helped...now I'm honestly about given up on hunting at home..I've had enough and I always do better elsewhere....its just nice to be able to drive 10mins and hunt...kill one and I can drive usually within 100yds of it to get him out..just convinent...and I'm a human...so I'm lazy lol..

Already dreading the drag out of a new spot I've scouted...

[ Post made via Android ] Image

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”