why do you believe you succeed or fail?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Terry
500 Club

Re: why do you believe you succeed or fail?

Unread postby Terry » Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:10 pm

This is a great thread!

I think it all comes down to a mindset. If someone has the drive to kill big buck, he or she is going to figure out a way to do it. It can't just be talk though, it has to be real. Something inside just pushes them to do it. A hard work ethic stems from this and is extremely important as well. Tactics used are the end result and are a mixture of past success and the area hunted.

There are many ways to skin a cat. The Benoits are trackers, Dan hunts beds, the Lakosky's farm. What do they have in common? Each one has the drive, they just take different paths to achieve success.

Being a great buck hunter comes down to a having deep desire to become one. The road taken will be different for everyone.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:37 am

When I was younger I was a buck killing machine... If I got it in my mind to go after a certain buck, it was usually just a matter of time. I worked really hard at it, I studied, scouted, glassed, etc.. I would even pick jobs based on loose attendance rules or proximity to hunting.

I still have all the knowledge I had back then, arguably more. But I am not getting the job done as well, or as efficient as I did then... Why? It is indeed in the mindset. I don't have the drive I had when I was younger. I loved to kill big deer back then and would fantisise about it all day and night. Now, if a deer gives me the slip instead of getting mad, I smile and tip my hat to him and say "well played sir"...

Also, a young guy who shoots a 120 inch 8 pointer he thought was P&Y might feel he failed. But I might go out and see a sunrise and feel I succeeded... Success and failure is all a state of mind.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:25 am

Great thread and many great points. I like how everyone has some individual input or ideas to lend to the discussion. Hunting is an individual thing. Some like numbers, some like big bodies, some like big racks, some like wide, some like tall. This is why you get so many different ideas on why one succeeds or fails. There is no definitive answer.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:00 am

I'll be out there in the big woods every day I can the last 20 days of November this year. I've learned if I put in 150 to 200 hours in-season scouting and hunting I'll get a chance at a 200 pound 3.5 year old. I'm OK with putting a bullet in places other than behind a buck's shoulder when I have to and not waiting for a better shot. That's paid off. One thread on bucks crossing at river and stream bends in the big woods piqued my interest for 2014. Buck bedding behavior I'm learning here at HB will help me pick where to still-hunt and give me ideas about where a particular buck may have bedded down in the early AM if I'm on its track... if we get some snow. Other than muzzleloader it's been quite a while since I've really hunted with much snow. One thread on recovering wounded deer here (when to push them hard and marking last blood with toilet paper bits) made the difference recovering a buck in 2013.

... I'm brand new at Marsh hunting but I know this site has the best hunters anywhere for that... and I have marshes I can hunt. I'm failing in that I didn't check all the probably-overlooked places I identified on maps, I didn't find as many buck bed/kill-tree combinations as I wanted to. I didn't take a bicycle back behind some closed gates on public I wanted to scout. I went fishing instead of scouting some weekends in May... and I haven't knocked on any doors.
Super goat

Unread postby Super goat » Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:59 am

Drive, hard work, and you have to will it. I decided to hunt a deer last year, and found it to be very challenging. It didn't take long before I lost confidence because I was lazy, and didn't put in the hard work. I didn't trek in and hang a stand where I thought he was traveling. I just went the easy route and went to my pre sets. This year the work is done those spots I didn't hunt will be hunted, and I'm gonna join the 200 plus inch club.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
lynchpin

Unread postby lynchpin » Mon Jul 28, 2014 9:44 am

Interesting topic indeed!

I believe the general question here is "luck" something more than luck... is luck manifested by "something". Physics tells us that for every action there is a equal and opposite reaction. We generally think of this in the physical realm that we can see... like a hammer hitting a nail to drive it into the wood or a baseball bat hitting the ball and driving it into the outfield. But did you ever stop to consider that this holds true for your thoughts? A positive reaction or intention can bring more of the same into your life or a negative thought or intention can bring more of the same... as if they were attracted to you magically. This is called the "law of attraction" and it is considered a universal law just like the law of gravity. We have all heard that "birds of a feather flock together" or " like takes to like". It is because of this law... the law of attraction.

So yes, one can manifest success...(it does take time however) but it has to be a burning desire with definiteness of purpose.... if you truly believe and I mean truly... life or circumstances can change to make what ever it is you desire become a reality...

after all... we are all the sum of our thoughts!
go DEEP or go HOME

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”