why do you believe you succeed or fail?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

briar
500 Club

Re: why do you believe you succeed or fail?

Unread postby briar » Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:33 am

cbigbear wrote:
Stanley wrote:Big buck hunting is the same thing, some can do it some can not. How many times do you hear the guy say if I would have done this or that, I would have as many bucks as Dan does on the wall? Guys that can do it don't say that, they don't have to they have done it. We are all not created equal. Using what you can do and not what you think you can do,or need to do, will take you a long way into the journey.

Great post Stanley, but this paragraph really speaks volumes. Some have what it takes & will do whatever it takes & some don't!!!!

This is true to point, but there are always those who simply fall higher on the continuum of talent. A gift I guess for different things. I have a friend whose gift is deer hunting. His ability to read the woods and put things together is a flat out talent. He has been good at it from a young age consistently and he can't tell you how or why he just is....much like mechanical aptitude. He has learned over time what to look for and how to hunt, but his natural drive and skills of knowing what to look for is a gift. Some people just have a talent for it. I could learn it, but it would always take me more effort and time to be not as good as just how they are naturally.

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:21 am

Bucky wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
Bucky wrote:Success is preperation meeting opportunity.

Personally, I research, figure out what I need to do to prepare, prepare, then spend the time for the opportunity to arrise based off my research and preperation. It really is not that hard to due... but it takes time, dedication and persistence. The guys that do it year in and year out are not lucky... they work harder at it.

My group of hardcore hunting buddies say all the time... "You gotta want it!"

Some will have a reply of $$$ can create opportunities... I agree it can, but if you tackle your earning potential with research, preperation, dedication, and time... you can make lots of $$$ too! :lol:

Prep is your groundwork but where does the opportunity come from?

[ Post made via Android ] Image

Research... I want to catch the elusive 50" muskie (took me tons of prep, but only two days of actual fishing on the water dark to dark)... where is my best chance = research. I need to know time of year, location, technique, moon phase, line, leader, baits, water depth, etc etc. Then I get that all together and spend the time in that local.

I want to catch a monster northern pike... where is my best chance... see above, took me years to accomplish this one = LOTS of time

I wanted to shoot a world class whitetail... not gonna happen where I grew up. So I went to an area 500 miles away that the opportunity would exist.

On and on.... the moral is YOU can make it happen within reason

I understand what you are saying. What I ponder is why did you get the 50"er and other people who prepared as well didn't. Is there more to it?
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:33 am

Stanley wrote:Great topic for sure. I understand and know what it takes to knock down big bucks. Man is not created equal in his abilities this is key. Just because Dan makes killing big bucks easy doesn't mean it is for the rest of us. We have to know and understand our capabilities. A 90 Lb string bean hunter can't physically pull a 235 lb dressed buck out of the woods (he may think he can but in reality he can't). A 250 lbs hunter in good physical shape can (he thinks he can, and in reality he can).

The same goes for a lot of hunting techniques. If your way overweight and think your going to haul a stand/sticks a bow and what ever else you need to hunt 2 miles into a swamp. You won't be able to do it. Some guys say he is too lazy and won't do it. I say he is incapable of doing it, so he needs to take another route. The overweight guy is maybe a Beast member and reads all the threads on carry and hunt.

Problem is he cannot do it. Does this mean he cannot be a big buck killer? No, he needs to find a way he can do it. In my opinion what separates the men from the monkeys is not what is between the shoulder blades but what is between the ears.

A good friend of mine was going to a job site hauling a trailer with a generator on it. He was on the interstate and ran out of gas. He had no tools no gas can but the generator he was hauling was full of gas. Did he call for help or figure a way to get some gas into the truck from the generator?

Put 20 people in that situation and how many call for help, and how many get some gas into the truck from the generator some how? Could a doctor with an intelligence of genius get the truck going? Could a house wife with great baking skills get the truck going?

Big buck hunting is the same thing, some can do it some can not. How many times do you hear the guy say if I would have done this or that, I would have as many bucks as Dan does on the wall? Guys that can do it don't say that, they don't have to they have done it. We are all not created equal. Using what you can do and not what you think you can do,or need to do, will take you a long way into the journey.

Im confused. is intelligence the most important or education or genetics? Do you believe that there is something outside of an individual that aids in success?
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:40 am

I understand what you are saying. What I ponder is why did you get the 50"er and other people who prepared as well didn't. Is there more to it?

Maybe???

I guess what I was saying, if it didn't happen in two trips I would have stuck with it for 20+ trips if that is what it took. Even over the course of years = persistence/time
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:46 am

I think any/every/all hunters are 50% lucky if he goes into THE Deer 's woods.

Let's face it, the deer can go in either direction, so 50-50 is your best odds!

I believe the game of odds become the last 50%.
Understanding, preparation, patience, experience and time equate to some of the main variables of those controllable odds.

More deer per sq. mi. help attribute to the odds also.

Keep in mind 20% of the hunters tag 80% of the deer!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:52 am

JoeRE wrote:Well the simple answer is preparation, hard work, build confidence and tilt the odds in your favor so that you can get it done when the cards are down. I beleive that is true but in my opinion thats not all of it...I think many hunters who have spend a lot of time in the woods agree sometimes there seems to be something beyond that. I feel like I have gotten lucky more often than I have a right to expect in my hunting career and know a few other guys who seem to fall in the same category. I also know some guys who just seem to be chronically unlucky. I'm talking beyond what I would attribute to preparation and experience based skill. Whats the difference - is it something to do with believing?

There have been many times where I knew I was going to get an opportunity hours before I set foot in the woods. Its strange stuff when I get that feeling, and its always been right. I literally am certain I am going to have an opportunity, its been the case on most of my biggest/oldest bucks. It only happens when I am taking my time and not in a crazy rush...did my belief cause it to happen or did I believe because at some level my inner predator being knew it would? Like I said, strange stuff.

Interesting, I have feelings like this too but more often then not I'm wrong :lol:. What is interesting in my life is that for years I wanted to kill a big buck. I would dream of wrapping my hands around a trophy rack. It never happened. I saw my share of big ones but never killed one. Then I decided that I was going to kill one, not just hope to. I decided that I wouldn't shoot a smaller buck and my goal was a big one. It's strange that I started killing big ones after I made that decision. It makes me wonder if what or how you think has an effect on the outcome and if there is something more than just me at work.
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:55 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:I think any/every/all hunters are 50% lucky if he goes into THE Deer 's woods.

Understanding, preparation, patience, experience and time equate to some of the main variables of those controllable odds.

if it's 50/50 odds why do 20% tag 80%? :think:
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:57 am

magicman54494 wrote:Interesting, I have feelings like this too but more often then not I'm wrong :lol:. What is interesting in my life is that for years I wanted to kill a big buck. I would dream of wrapping my hands around a trophy rack. It never happened. I saw my share of big ones but never killed one. Then I decided that I was going to kill one, not just hope to. I decided that I wouldn't shoot a smaller buck and my goal was a big one. It's strange that I started killing big ones after I made that decision. It makes me wonder if what or how you think has an effect on the outcome and if there is something more than just me at work.

In regards to my first trophy whitetail... same thing happened to me Magic. I told myself I was not gonna quit till I killed a BIG one, I forget exact amout of days but I know I hunted over a week straight until it happened. I was so focused on killing a big buck I did nothing but hunt, eat, spotlight, get up and hunt the next day. I spot lighted the deer multiple nights before I killed him. It took watching other successful hunters to understand how much TIME would need to be sacraficed to make it happen... but I wanted a BIG whitetail in the worst way.
Last edited by Bucky on Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:57 am

magicman54494 wrote:
Edcyclopedia wrote:I think any/every/all hunters are 50% lucky if he goes into THE Deer 's woods.

if it's 50/50 odds why do 20% tag 80%? :think:

They use the variables I mention better...
Barring the experience of course; that's just time.

I would concur that some people may have more of an innate ability, while others could be a quicker study / smarter...
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:00 am

magicman54494 wrote:
Bucky wrote:
magicman54494 wrote:
Bucky wrote:Success is preperation meeting opportunity.

Personally, I research, figure out what I need to do to prepare, prepare, then spend the time for the opportunity to arrise based off my research and preperation. It really is not that hard to due... but it takes time, dedication and persistence. The guys that do it year in and year out are not lucky... they work harder at it.

My group of hardcore hunting buddies say all the time... "You gotta want it!"

Some will have a reply of $$$ can create opportunities... I agree it can, but if you tackle your earning potential with research, preperation, dedication, and time... you can make lots of $$$ too! :lol:

Prep is your groundwork but where does the opportunity come from?

Research... I want to catch the elusive 50" muskie (took me tons of prep, but only two days of actual fishing on the water dark to dark)... where is my best chance = research. I need to know time of year, location, technique, moon phase, line, leader, baits, water depth, etc etc. Then I get that all together and spend the time in that local.

I want to catch a monster northern pike... where is my best chance... see above, took me years to accomplish this one = LOTS of time

I wanted to shoot a world class whitetail... not gonna happen where I grew up. So I went to an area 500 miles away that the opportunity would exist.

On and on.... the moral is YOU can make it happen within reason

I agree with Bucky and will add that quality of efforts and intuition contribute to the frequency of success. Lots of research, preparation, and time yield results, but perfection of each core competancy and intuition separates the best from the hardcore.

magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:15 am

I'm supposed to be invoicing customers today. (rain day)
It looks like I may have to rely on luck to pay my bills. :lol:
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:20 am

magicman54494 wrote:I'm supposed to be invoicing customers today. (rain day)

:lol:

Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:23 am

magicman54494 wrote:I'm supposed to be invoicing customers today. (rain day)

Excellent idea Forrest! LOL

JLS

Unread postby JLS » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:27 am

I'll agree that there is some luck that goes into my success . As in , I'm lucky enough to hunt a buck rich environment but luck ends there .

Preparation and education is what puts bucks on the ground . Through scouting , knowing what winds to hunt , paying attention while on stand , and having the ability to make a good clean shot under the pressure of excitement . 80% of the bucks I have shot have been called in from a distance by making sounds that I learned from paying attention while on stand . Sure I learned to call deer by being lucky enough to sit in a buck rich environment but I still don't consider it luck :)
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:39 am

magicman54494 wrote:
Stanley wrote:Great topic for sure. I understand and know what it takes to knock down big bucks. Man is not created equal in his abilities this is key. Just because Dan makes killing big bucks easy doesn't mean it is for the rest of us. We have to know and understand our capabilities. A 90 Lb string bean hunter can't physically pull a 235 lb dressed buck out of the woods (he may think he can but in reality he can't). A 250 lbs hunter in good physical shape can (he thinks he can, and in reality he can).

The same goes for a lot of hunting techniques. If your way overweight and think your going to haul a stand/sticks a bow and what ever else you need to hunt 2 miles into a swamp. You won't be able to do it. Some guys say he is too lazy and won't do it. I say he is incapable of doing it, so he needs to take another route. The overweight guy is maybe a Beast member and reads all the threads on carry and hunt.

Problem is he cannot do it. Does this mean he cannot be a big buck killer? No, he needs to find a way he can do it. In my opinion what separates the men from the monkeys is not what is between the shoulder blades but what is between the ears.

A good friend of mine was going to a job site hauling a trailer with a generator on it. He was on the interstate and ran out of gas. He had no tools no gas can but the generator he was hauling was full of gas. Did he call for help or figure a way to get some gas into the truck from the generator?

Put 20 people in that situation and how many call for help, and how many get some gas into the truck from the generator some how? Could a doctor with an intelligence of genius get the truck going? Could a house wife with great baking skills get the truck going?

Big buck hunting is the same thing, some can do it some can not. How many times do you hear the guy say if I would have done this or that, I would have as many bucks as Dan does on the wall? Guys that can do it don't say that, they don't have to they have done it. We are all not created equal. Using what you can do and not what you think you can do,or need to do, will take you a long way into the journey.

Im confused. is intelligence the most important or education or genetics? Do you believe that there is something outside of an individual that aids in success?

I play a lot of chess. No matter how much I educate myself or what my genetics are I am limited by my own intellect and brain power. I could never beat a Grand Master player. I do understand this though so I don't let my wishing get ahead of my ability.

Now for an even better comparison I know Dan is a way better big buck bed hunter than I am. I know and understand this. I suspect a lot of guys think they are as good as Dan. In reality they don't know, that they don't know, they are not.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”