Morning hunts in hill country

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

ozzz

Re: Morning hunts in hill country

Unread postby ozzz » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:48 am

I busted a lot of deer by entering my hill country spots in the morning last year.

I bet I would have tagged out early season instead of rut had I avoided dark walk ins. Hopefully this year.

[ Post made via Android ] Image

If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:03 am

ozzz wrote:What dates do you typically see mid day cruising like that in the hills?

Nov 1st - gun season in WI

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:19 am

Bucky wrote:
ozzz wrote:What dates do you typically see mid day cruising like that in the hills?

Depending on.the property...oct 27 ~ gunhunting

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:20 am

Bucky wrote:I get up 7 ish eat breakfast.... get in tree as thermals start to rise around 8. You are shooting yourself in the foot getting in early and sitting high with thermals dropping. Hunt smarter not harder

Great advice.....I started doing that about 5-6 seasons ago ..

HUNT LIKE A BEAST
Bowhunter4life
500 Club

Unread postby Bowhunter4life » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:32 am

Here in the hills of MO I agree with Bucky's statement but seems the bucks will start cruising around the 25th of October

Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:45 am

Bowhunter4life wrote:Here in the hills of MO I agree with Bucky's statement but seems the bucks will start cruising around the 25th of October

I see good PM movement late Oct... I keep my Cruzn sets fresh until Nov

"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:48 am

On public land, if I have clean access, I like to go in extra early. I've had the late rising hunters kick deer to me.

On private or low pressure public, I prefer to sleep in and get in quiet and clean.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:38 am

Bucky wrote:I get up 7 ish eat breakfast.... get in tree as thermals start to rise around 8. You are shooting yourself in the foot getting in early and sitting high with thermals dropping. Hunt smarter not harder

Good advice.
If you hunt a week or two straight Dark to dark and get up at 4AM and get back to camp at 9PM and spend every day hunting all day, your also going to have issues with being tired, and what I call bowhunter burnout.
Stanley
Honorary Moderator
Facebook: None

Unread postby Stanley » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:47 am

I think this is the hardest thing for the less seasoned hunter to grasp. I'm not sure if a person wouldn't be better off to skip all early morning in the dark hunting. About 35 years ago a good friend of mine, that is a hill hunter said you should skip early morning and go in at 10:00 AM and hunt the rest of the day. I thought at the time the guy was way out of balance.

I tried it a couple of times and was surprised how much my hunting pleasure increased along with my success. If you hunt in the hills in the dark you are going to eventually fall down on slippery leaves, or wet leaves. I know I have more than once. Nothing worse than getting up in the tree in the dark and you cramp up and have to take a dump (been there done that). Hunting in the dark is unproductive, you can't kill a buck in the dark. Hunting in the dark takes time away from rest.

If you are hunting from dark to dark you will eventually burn out faster. It is much more fun to look forward to the next hunt than to think you have to hunt the next hunt. The older I get the less morning hunting I do. All this and the fact that the thermals can booger you up equates to maybe trying to get out there a little later.
You can fool some of the bucks, all of the time, and fool all of the bucks, some of the time, however you certainly can't fool all of the bucks, all of the time.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:39 am

listen to dan bucky and stan on this one , they know what they are talking about. SOLID advice!
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:08 am

BigHunt wrote:
Bucky wrote:

Depending on.the property...oct 27 ~ gunhunting

^Same here

Philski

Unread postby Philski » Sun Jul 27, 2014 2:45 pm

Dewey,
Thanks for the title change. Sure got to what I was after. The info provided was exactly what I was looking for. My goal is to hunt cruising bucks. I believe I may have undermined this strategy by going in to early. I was using a one strategy fits all. Which I'm being shown is not effective. I need to tailor my strategy as Dan said to the specific hunt. I was generally hunting all deer instead of a more specific strategy of hunting the beds the 1st hour, then move to funnels for cruising bucks later in the a.m. As I look back I always saw more good bucks cruising from 9 to 1 as Bucky mentioned. Often it takes others to get me to realize what I already know. The burnout is also a factor. Hunting often becomes a chore. I hunt hard for about 3 weeks straight from Halloween to Nov.20th. I find my mental edge not as strong as each all day sit ends. I then tend to get sloppy and cut corners. I get tired and not as sharp on stand. I will try to hunt smarter this season and keep my edge. Maybe an old dog can learn new tricks. Thanks for opening my eyes.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image
BigHunt

Unread postby BigHunt » Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:13 pm

tim wrote:listen to dan bucky and stan on this one , they know what they are talking about. SOLID advice!

wow and the rest of us don't ...!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? :roll:
HUNT LIKE A BEAST

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”