Quick Fixes Before Season Openers

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cwoods
500 Club

Quick Fixes Before Season Openers

Unread postby cwoods » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:07 pm

What is something you've noticed you need to fix before your season opens. I think this could help each other find small problems to look for and fix before the season opens. A few days ago I noticed that my muddy safety harness top strap clags when Im climbing my lone wolf sticks. This is my first year using the sticks and man Im loving them in my practice setups in the back yard. Getting ready to go afeild in 2 days. Also see the thread in outdoor survival in the outdoor survial section. Post up things you've found. Any suggestions on the metal strap on my harness clagging? Thanks

Brandon
500 Club

Re: Quick Fixes Before Season Openers

Unread postby Brandon » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:33 pm

ive heard of people using the felt camo tape on the buckles. that is a draw back of those sticks. i had muddys 1 year and there rope system is awesome! and fast. the sticks are the small ones and they kick out sometimes and you need 4 or 5 compoared to 3 or 4 LW sticks. If they had 32" inch sticks id still use them honestly.
You can't kill em on the couch
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:36 pm

If you use a peep sight with the rubber tubing make sure the rubber tubing isn't getting old and cracking. I replace the rubber tubing on mine every year b/c it seems to start to stretch and crack right where it attaches to the peep sight. You don't want to draw back on a big buck and have your tubing snap and now you're peep sight is turned and you can't see thru it and aim properly.
PASwamper

Unread postby PASwamper » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:38 am

Shoot your broadheads early and make sure they are flying good. I cranked up the poundage on my bow the one year and didn't shoot my broadheads till about a week before the season. Didn't fly right, couldn't find any that would in that amount of time, and had to go with expandables which I hate.
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Sun Sep 12, 2010 8:32 am

Make sure all your clothing is ready to go and make sure it still fits you properly. When you are making sure all your clothes still fit, you should shoot your bow a few times with all your hunting gear on.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:17 am

Also practice from an elevated position with your hunting clothes on. Remember to bend at the waste rather than dropping your arm.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:29 am

I'm fortunate in that I bowhunt for bear before deer hunting, it really helps get all the fixes taken care of ahead of time. I wanted to put a reminder up of how easy it is for a bowsight to need adjustment after transport to the hunting area, and why it is really important to fire a couple of arrows to make sure your bow is still on. You see this reminder all the time, but do you actually do it? I've almost NEVER had my sight need adjustment over decades of bowhunting. This year I arrived at my bear hunting area and fired a couple of arrows... I was high and right, enough to to make a difference and quickly made the necessary adjustments. Take the time to check.
Indianahunter
500 Club

Unread postby Indianahunter » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:54 pm

Definitely with Casper on shooting from an elevated position. This is something I do every year and it does make a difference at least until you get a feel for bending at the waist.
God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5:8
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:54 pm

Singing Bridge wrote:I'm fortunate in that I bowhunt for bear before deer hunting, it really helps get all the fixes taken care of ahead of time. I wanted to put a reminder up of how easy it is for a bowsight to need adjustment after transport to the hunting area, and why it is really important to fire a couple of arrows to make sure your bow is still on. You see this reminder all the time, but do you actually do it? I've almost NEVER had my sight need adjustment over decades of bowhunting. This year I arrived at my bear hunting area and fired a couple of arrows... I was high and right, enough to to make a difference and quickly made the necessary adjustments. Take the time to check.

very good advice! today was my 2nd hunt of the year. We can now hunt Sundays in NC this year so I took advantage of it. Hunted a new property, 15acres bumping up to the interstate and a marsh. Little did I know my flash light fell out of my pack out of the truck. I was pretty bummed when I figured out I had to walk back in the dark. No deer down either.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”