How many / often do you pass?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbay
500 Club

How many / often do you pass?

Unread postby cbay » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:25 am

It would be interesting to hear how many bucks some of you encounter through the course of a season in search of a shooter.
It's hopefully going to be a different season for me in terms of buck sightings and i can't help but think ahead about the different deer i may see and have opportunity to shoot. I got a pretty good idea of what to hold out for, but the more i think about it there could be a lot of marginal bucks that could cloud my judgment either way.
Since i'm new to holding out for anything 3 yrs or older i thought it would be good to hear from some of you about what you encounter / how often in pursuit of a GREAT deer.

Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Bucky

Re: How many / often do you pass?

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:32 am

What state are you in? It is all relative to your location.... I have plenty of 2yr olds roll by me, 3s maybe a few, 4+ rare! I hunt more than most in some of WI's better counties

My point is... you don't get many opportunities to kill 130"+ deer
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
MACHINIST

Unread postby MACHINIST » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:37 am

I usually see one or two shooters a year and most of the time it like hitting the lotto trying to get a shot.This year I am trying some new tactics so hopefully that will change.Most of the time at least 3-4 bucks get the pass that I kick myself later for.I pass on anything smaller than the ears.Last year I didn't see one that was past the ears,last year sucked!!!LOL
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:48 am

Bucky wrote:What state are you in? [glow=red]It is all relative to your location....[/glow]I have plenty of 2yr olds roll by me, 3s maybe a few, 4+ rare! I hunt more than most in some of WI's better counties

Spot on! Agree 1000%

Similar thread below.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23756&p=303815&hilit=passed+140+130#p303815
ozzz

Unread postby ozzz » Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:52 am

Usually a bunch of dinks.

Usually SEE a handful of shooters.

Average 1 or 2 shot opportunities per year.

2011 I had shot opportunities at two shooters, killed one. Only shot at the one

2012 I had zero shot opportunities at shooters.

2013 I had shot opportunities at two shooters, killed one. Only shot at the one
If it bleeds, we can kill it . . . .
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:20 am

Bucky wrote:What state are you in? It is all relative to your location.... I have plenty of 2yr olds roll by me, 3s maybe a few, 4+ rare! I hunt more than most in some of WI's better counties

I'm in southern Missouri. Totally agree its relative to the number and quality of deer in a given area.
In my public area last year i saw a couple 1.5's and passed a decent 2.5. Blew opportunity on a very mature one.
Could imagine seeing maybe a half dozen different 2 yr.olds this season and hopefully several older.
I don't run but one camera on public and have more areas to hunt this year that i won't know what to expect.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:23 am

cbay wrote:
Bucky wrote:What state are you in? It is all relative to your location.... I have plenty of 2yr olds roll by me, 3s maybe a few, 4+ rare! I hunt more than most in some of WI's better counties

I'm in southern Missouri. Totally agree its relative to the number and quality of deer in a given area.
In my public area last year i saw a couple 1.5's and passed a decent 2.5. Blew opportunity on a very mature one.
Could imagine seeing maybe a half dozen different 2 yr.olds this season and hopefully several older.
I don't run but one camera on public and have more areas to hunt this year that i won't know what to expect.

If you hunt hard.... you should get a shot opportunity at a 3yr old at some pt in the year
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Trailcamaddict
500 Club

Unread postby Trailcamaddict » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:23 am

Hunting in Wisconsin I typically pass 7- 10 bucks per year. I typically only get one or at most two opportunities at a buck over 125". Keep in mind though this can vary greatly depending on where you hunt. Some of the places I hunt I know there are big ones but I either see a good one or nothing. So I may not "pass" anything for a lot of hunts because I am hunting in an area with low density but high quality.

I don't judge any spot by how many I have seen there or "passed" on. I hunt the sign. If a big buck is there I will try to get him.
Remember to take your kids!
YouTube - Engineered Outdoors
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:30 am

MACHINIST wrote:Most of the time at least 3-4 bucks get the pass that I kick myself later for

That's kinda what i was driving at. I can see having a "tempting" buck (for the given area) pop up a couple times a year here. last year i fell to temptation. :roll:
Last edited by cbay on Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
cbay
500 Club

Unread postby cbay » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:37 am

Bucky wrote:
cbay wrote:

If you hunt hard.... you should get a shot opportunity at a 3yr old at some pt in the year

Bucky you're right i should, and therein is part of my challenge because i am fortunate to have several bucks of the caliber you and some others on here shoot. Big deer.
So i toss and turn about what i will do if / when a dandy 3 year old comes along - maybe 120-130. I never shot one that big.
Scout.  Learn.  Hunt
BassBoysLLP
500 Club

Unread postby BassBoysLLP » Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:13 am

If I need to think about it, he is too small. Tie goes to the runner, not the stander.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:15 am

im in the same situation as bucky it sounds like on this one. i now pass a lot of small stuff. 2 year olds can very greatly in my areas in the bluffs of s.w. wisconsin. most think there 3 year olds but i usually think of them as 2 year olds, im looking for bigger older class bucks anymore. the more years i hunt the easier it has become to pass smaller deer. who knows i havent filled my tag last 2years chasing monsters and didnt fill those tags but had chances. so im sure il be in the same boat this year ...passing everything until that right big buck steps out. just knowing i outsmart a good percentage of deer is enough these days so watching them grow on my cameras from year to year is fun too.....but to answer the question i pass a lot but stopped counting a few years ago. the last time i counted was in 09 if i remember correctly and it was buck sighting number 33 i think i let an arrow fly.......
welded34
500 Club

Unread postby welded34 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:28 am

I probably let 5 to 8 small bucks go a year. Hopefully I see more mature bucks this year hunting beast style.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
iowa whitetail
500 Club

Unread postby iowa whitetail » Thu Jul 24, 2014 5:33 am

I'll let a couple go every year some are hard but I'm always glad I did. I'm thinking about getting a cam to video this year just for fun.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
bigwoodsmn

Unread postby bigwoodsmn » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:05 am

BassBoysLLP wrote:If I need to think about it, he is too small. [glow=red]Tie goes to the runner, not the stander.[/glow]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”