2010 Bowhunting Reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cash 18

Re: 2010 Bowhunting Reports

Unread postby Cash 18 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Thursday night, saw one small 6 point and two nub bucks. Friday all day I never saw a deer. Saturday I saw 3 fawns at last light at night. Sunday I saw one doe that I jumped leaving the stand in the morning. very slow weekend for me, I was pretty disappointed since I saw a lot of action last weekend. I would hope that next weekend things will ramp up again.

hotterthantiffany

Unread postby hotterthantiffany » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:46 am

I traveled north this weekend to try my luck...again my luck was not there. I can shoot a buck up there, and many have been seen on the trail camera and shining so I was excited. I got traped in my stand until 7:30pm, surround by DOES!!! I had an unexpected visitor, so I let him sit my ladder stand in the hardwoods ( i was planning that for my Saturday sit), he saw a dandy eight pointer hot on a doe, but he couldn't get a shot off. I saw more does in hopes that a buck would be following but no such luck.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:25 am

i went out this morning(Monday) and saw 4 bucks. one giant chasing a doe across a wide open wheat field about 500 yds away and then a nice 2 1/2 yr old came out of the woods right behind him..i tried to rattle and grunt and everyone possible to get their attention but of course..the nice 2 1/2 yr old came right in to 20 yards..but the big one just stayed with the doe as usual
cwoods
500 Club

Unread postby cwoods » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:34 am

I've had some good hunting since last Friday. Friday was my best day ever in the woods. Seen some yearlings run this poor doe to death in the a.m. A hour or so later had a 2.5 corner a doe right under my stand. It was so cool, he was grunting, she was bleeting, just a neat experience to hear them grunt! About 5min later after she escaped from the 2.5yr old, the buck of the woods made his apperance. He came tearing out of a thicket, making a scrape and trashing some poor small sappling to death. I stood up and quickly measured him up, almost instanly I know I want him. Im pretty sure he is the buck that got me obessed w/ hunting big bucks 2yrs ago. Last year I seen him once on Nov 7th. He had just fought w/ another buck then skirtted off chasing two does. I yelled at him then but he stopped 30yds in a thicket. I would say he would have just made P&Y or a few inches shy. Back to this year, He has put on some mass, length and added to his head gear w/ some stickers as a 4.5yr old! He got onto the does scent trail, I draw back and my stupid mask slips over my chin and messes up my ancor point. I let down, yank my face down under my chin, all the while he is 10yds moving quickly closer. I draw back again and now im chasing him down w/ my pen, he is under my stand! I could had stepped off the stand and stabbed him to death! As he was about 5yds away (setting me up for a nice 8yd quarting away shot, he figures something isnt right, quickly spins 180 and head the other direction, I give him a few yelps and he stops....pin settles and his vitals arent exposed!! Within the 2 seconds, my gut feeling tells me if you release this arrow its doomed to be a gut shot. Then he bounds off...out of my life for another day. 363 days had passed since I had seen him last. I'll say he was most def. mid 130's if not in the 140's. I instanly started shaking and grinning! I just seen a monarch of the woods. Those are his woods and he knows it! So elusive those mature bucks, he slipped up and I didnt cash it. Dont regret my decsion not to shoot at all. Though I do keep hittig replay. Could have layed him out w/ the shot gun and there is nothing wrong w/ that but, I cant put down the bow! People from this state (NC) head to the midwest to chase giants every year. One day I hope to but 1st I wanna put down a P&Y buck from my home state. Sorry for the long post....but the deer deserved it! Some of the best seconds of my life!
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:04 pm

My 1st official night of hunting this year! Went into a spot I've scouted years back, never sat it, but because I'm now again hunting the Rhinelander area made this my first sit.

Not bad on going in slightly blind. Settled on an area only 500-600 yards off a road but browsing sign was there and hoped does would move along this shelf working to the oaks. Worked like clock work. 1st doe and twin fawns shown at 3:30 but never worked closler than 40 yards, they just moseyed on after being in sight for 40 minutes.

Right about 4:30 had an adult doe, alone, work in from the opposite direction and she came as close as 10 yards. When I heard another deer approaching from her direction I thought for sure it was a buck. Turned out to be her fawn and it was bleating looking for her 50-60 yards out. Figured she must be hot and trying to run her fawn off. Well right at quiting time I hear a deer cruising closer, no doubt a buck, as his gait was constant and on a mission. Too bad he was a small 6 or 4. He gave chase to the doe, never grunted, but was on her tail and they all took off. Kind off dissapointed it was dark but pulled the stand and walked out before another deer came and risked spooking it.

I will be back in this general area tommorrow a.m. but where I guess that 2nd doe is bedding.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:52 am

What's going on in northrn WI? I wanna get up to Park Falls this weekend. Wondern where the rut is at up there?
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:13 am

I'm hunting N-W of Rhinelander and would say it's just heating up. Seeing does and fawns on every sit, mornings and nights. Have seen one single doe with out a fawn but all others have their fawns in tow. Haven't tried an all day sit yet but see activity all the way until 10:00 am with does. Have seen two bucks from the stand, both 1.5 year olds but know some 2.5 and 3.5 are around. They may be with does now and only time will force them to cruise for other hot females.

Trail cams are set on perimeter edges and catching bucks but all night or early morning before legal shooting light. Nothing huge like the farm country bucks but one will do for me. Largest may hit 120" and that may be pushing it. Have plans to hit/hunt areas back in a ways trying to catch daylight activity. With the cold headed our way have to think it can only get better.

Pleasantly surprised on the deer activity, no big bucks yet, but at least seeing deer. Would have to say the deer numbers are slowly climbing up. Pressure is almost non-existant, so I'm sure that has something to do with it also. This area is buck only so I'm sure with no early season bowhunters it has saved a dozen or so does. This weekend should give me a gauge on what the rifle season will bring.....hopefully no-one shows.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:25 am

Good report HH. Thanks. I'm hoping this weekend's weather will get 'em moving.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:17 am

Deer were on the move last night. Saw a total of (10), which is a lot, for this area. Assume the front moving in on them on their feet early.

Does and fawns working around me all night. Does that I had close enough to see their hock glands are snow white yet.

Had a buck, about a 4"-5" spiker, chase the does a little, never grunted, but then just kept on moving thru. He passed by at 6 yards......why can't the big ones do that?

Half the does and fawns were in range to shoot (buck only so can't) the other half between 40 and 80 yards and the buck. That makes (3) bucks I've seen so far with (2) of them close enough to shoot that I passed on.

I can't complain, seeing deer at least. Bar run last night; all other hunters were in a state of funk complaing of low deer numbers.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:38 pm

11/13/2010
Hunted a small public property in the evening... I hunt this spot about once or twice a year. There is a history of harassment by the adjacent land owners. There is no where to park at the property and the only way to know its there is to find it in a plot book. Although I have seen signs of occasional hunting there, I have never seen another hunter on that property ever. I park a 1/4 mile up the remote road and walk to the spot with my bow cased. Anywho, every time I park there and hunt the neighbor sees my truck and drives over by it looking thru the windows and such and then slowly drives back and forth on the road past me and some times beeps his horn several times. The property is really small and I am only 100 yards from the road... When I used to guide I set up a young Michigan hunter there and he shot a huge B&C buck. The buck ran across the road and the neighbor would not give us permission to access even though the blood trail made me certain it was a lethal hit. That guy registered a B&C buck the next day and showed it off all over. He even took it to the madison deer show... Well, tonight was no exception. Guy shows up cruising back and forth stopping, backing up getting out staring into the trees, etc. So, I am worried about him screwing with my truck or confronting me when I come out so with about 10 minutes of shooting time left I decide to get down early. As I am lowering my bow I hear somthing beside me and look over to see a nice buck walking past :o
I was able to actually pull the bow all the way back up, but as I was loading an arrow it walked into some thick stuff and I could not shoot.
Kicking myself, I know better than to get down early!
Next time I think I will have Carol drop me off so I don't have to deal with that bone head.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Dan...I have dealt with some pretty irritating people but that's crazy. I think it's time the warden gets a call and the guy gets talked to about the laws about hunter harrassment and what kind of fines he could possibly pay if this continues.
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:04 pm

That's a bummer dan! I usually hunt north of Hwy 8 in Oneida County but today I headed to a friends 500acre farm in Fond du Lac. What a great hunt in the rain! I had an 8pt come across this section of secluded field I was on and i grunted him in. He hunt up out of range and after 5mins of back and forth grunting he trotted off. So I got out the bleat can and tipped it twice then tooted the grunt call a few times and he came charging out. He stepped in range and I let the arrow fly and caught a branch. I watched the arrow skip off the branch as he turned to run and it looked as though it sailed right through his rack (optical illusion maybe?) Anyhow I don't care that I missed really because I had two more encounters with him in the afternoon. He came out on the field again and he responded to calling but knew I was there. Then walking out at last light he was feeding in the corn and we walked up to 50yards of him. And crouched down and I worked the bleat can/grunt call and he came trotting right in almost right too us. That was awesome. Also had two does come barreling by at 15yards I let them go waiting for the trophy buck which was pursuing them. A trophy he was! The smallest nub buck I've ever seen came scooting out of the brush grunting away following those two does out into the picked corn field. Overall an awesome day the rain didn't seem to keep the wildlife at home.
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Mountain Man
500 Club

Unread postby Mountain Man » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:13 am

Up until this past Saturday I've had somewhat of a disappointing season. I haven't been able to get out much this year compared to past years - in fact I didn't hunt almost all of October. I also hadn't seen any bucks worthy of shooting.

Things changed this past Saturday. At first light I saw a deer in the distance that looked like a buck but he was upwind. He couldn't hear me grunt so I hit the rattling bag. He came in on a string but it was a 1.5 yo 6-pointer. He was out maybe 25 yards in some thick stuff. I was intently watching him for several minutes when I turned to my right for whatever reason and saw a 140-150" 10-pointer. When I first saw him I could have had a shot at about 30 yards but he quickly disappeared into some thicker brush. He slowly worked his way toward the 6-pointer. I drew on him and would have had a shot at about 20 yards. I had a small window to shoot through but in a split second I no longer had a shot as he kept walking and went back into the really thick stuff. I probably could have shot, and looking back maybe I should have but I really don't like taking walking shots at that distance and he was slightly quartering to me. Oh well I can live with not taking that shot. The little buck ran away and the big guy walked off through the brush to check out a nearby bedding area.

An hour later, a nice 130-140" 8-pointer stepped out of some thick brush and was heading my way and he was upwind. I got into position for a shot to the right side of my stand and if he kept on the trail he would walk by at 10-15 yards. Well before he got there he turned north and went back into more thick brush. I tried to grunt him back but he wasn't interested.

About an hour and 15 minutes later I looked to my right and was surprised to see a 125-130" 9-pointer standing at 20-25 yards. I got ready to shoot and he proceeded to walk in front of me at about 7 yards. I put the pin on him and released. He ran several steps and stopped looking around. I was waiting for him to tip over. Then he walked away as if nothing happened. He eventually followed the same path as the big 10 earlier in the morning. When he was out of sight I climbed down to check my arrow. There was lots of hair on the ground and a little blood on 2 fletchings but the third fletching was all white. All I could think of was how I just blew an easy shot. I think it was a combination that I rushed the shot a bit and aimed too low. I think I grazed his brisket. I followed what little blood there was and it eventually disappeared. It wasn't the first nice buck I've blown a shot on and it probably won't be the last. I guess I just have to chalk it up to experience.

Later in the day I saw some does and fawns but no more bucks.

It was almost a great ending to a somewhat disappointing bow season but those 3 encounters all on the same morning made the season a memorable one even though I didn't score on a buck. I'm probably done bowhunting as I don't usually go late season.
huntinfool14
500 Club

Unread postby huntinfool14 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:58 am

just sat on a high spot and watched from a distance overlooking a cut corn field tonight...sat about an hour and saw 11 bucks and 8 doe..2 bucks were 2 1/2 yr olds and 1 was a 3 yr old..most of them were chasing/checking out the does..the 2 yr old bucks were fighting pretty hard..pretty cool to see..
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:11 pm

Sounds like you had a great day of hunting Mountain Man. Definately a day you will never forget.
Sorry you didn't get the buck but it happens to everybody sooner or later.

I am in a bit of a slump. Since Nov. 2 I have not seen a deer. :? Not sure what is going on since everybody else seems to be still having success. I was hunting in a wide variety of spots miles away from each other but for whatever reason I am seeing zero movement. I am done for now but will hit it again for sure late season. Hope the gun hunters don't shoot all of the good bucks I saw earlier.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”